Hammer .35 Whelen data

Why are some of you all shooting those 38 special bullets (140 grain) out of your 35 Whelen? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Really though I don't get it.
I shot two deer with that pistol bullet this year out of a 358 win. The doe was at 135 straight on, shot was to the left Center of her brisket, she hit the groundπŸ’₯πŸš€πŸ”¨β˜ οΈ The second was a buck at 105 slightly behind the crease, he hit the groundπŸ’₯πŸš€πŸ”¨β˜ οΈ I love the light and fast hammers😊

Okay, I looked at the ballistics and I get it for relatively short shots ! I usually shoot bigger stuff at longer distances. Your 140 is dying fast after 150 yards. I can get 3000fps from a 200gr bullet out of the Whelen. Before you get to 250 yards the 200 grain is actually going faster than the 140, and the energy difference is huge.

Okay, I looked at the ballistics and I get it for relatively short shots ! I usually shoot bigger stuff at longer distances. Your 140 is dying fast after 150 yards. I can get 3000fps from a 200gr bullet out of the Whelen. Before you get to 250 yards the 200 grain is actually going faster than the 140, and the energy difference is huge.
What you're saying is 100% true but Holy Schmoly, I can tell you when that 140 slams into them it sounds like they were hit by a different 2x4.🀭 I 100% believe in light and fast. Within limits. This bullet is actually heavier than the one that I shoot out of my 375 rum. Deadly within its limits.

I built this rifle to shoot out of a box in the bottoms on a tree farm in Central Georgia. I can't imagine shooting this rifle past 125 yards unless I'm sitting on a road in my golf cart😊

After having surgery on both my hands The Recoil shys me away from the big heavies. Y'all have impressed me with the velocities you're getting out of this cartridge. It is extremely efficient, wait till you get a load of what Les comes up withπŸš€πŸš€πŸš€

Joe

No pressure Les 🀣

What you're saying is 100% true but Holy Schmoly, I can tell you when that 140 slams into them it sounds like they were hit by a different 2x4.🀭 I 100% believe in light and fast. Within limits. This bullet is actually heavier than the one that I shoot out of my 375 rum. Deadly within its limits.

I built this rifle to shoot out of a box in the bottoms on a tree farm in Central Georgia. I can't imagine shooting this rifle past 125 yards unless I'm sitting on a road in my golf cart😊

After having surgery on both my hands The Recoil shys me away from the big heavies. Y'all have impressed me with the velocities you're getting out of this cartridge. It is extremely efficient, wait till you get a load of what Les comes up withπŸš€πŸš€πŸš€

Joe

No pressure Les 🀣
This place is awesome! Am I allowed to say that?

I decided to try some AA1680 under the 140s. I started at 52 and made it all the way to 59 grains before I got a legitimate ejector swipe. Casess still rechamber fine, going to load up three in once fired Hornady brass and run them across the chronograph. 59.0 grains is the same charge that I stopped at (compressed) with IMR4198. there's no doubt the 1680 is going to be faster. Hoping for 3K impacts.

πŸ’₯πŸš€πŸ”¨β˜ οΈ

Yes Pictures please!!!! Ought 6. I'm not sure at what Joe is hinting at when he talks about the speeds. I like speed, but I like my eyes and fingers more! My goal is 3,100 feet per second with the 200 grain Power Hammer. I just looked up the official SAAMI specs for the 35 Whelen. They are 52,000 CUP or 62,000 PSI. You will be hard pressed to find any load data that comes close to those numbers. The manuals are worried about the old wildcats and old rifles that have been converted.

I'm thinking 3100 can be reached by using one of the following powders, AA 5744, Benchmark, TAC, or H322. Running the numbers through the ballistics calculator, PBR is 363 yards and it is easily a 600 yard round. What is not to like? I'll be building some ladders today and see what happens tomorrow! Stay tuned. If I wanted more I would get a 350 Norma Mag. That is another one I let get away. I was a poor graduate student and there was a beautiful left handed 350 Norma for sale, but it was out of my budget. I think Riceman is building one.

Not sure what Joe's talking about, I'll tell you what Joe's talking about. LES squeezed (crimped) a 101 blackout so hard around the neck, it RAN out his RUMs barrel at 5K joining the speed demon Club! (was so proud of him😊) that's what Joe's talking about.
How about the 26 plus with the 404, that's what Joe's talking about...
42+ with 124s in your RumπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€πŸš€

No pressure, other than 62,000 πŸ€“

Wait till we get riceman's 358 Norma Magnum up and running, we're going to see some speed.

This place is awesome!!!

Rugers are known for being phenomenal rifles, a tad on the heavy side. That one probably comes in somewhere around 7 lbs 32 ounces.

Just sayin

Rugers are known for being phenomenal rifles, a tad on the heavy side. That one probably comes in somewhere around 7 lbs 32 ounces.

Just sayin

Ha! This new one weighs 7lb 9oz. My old tang safety .338WM is a bit heavier.

Last edited:
Back