gltaylor

Staff member
mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:57pm harperc, riceman, and 10 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Jan 16, 2023 at 12:57pm​

I have been following and replying to a threat on the "Long Range Hunting" forum “WHY HAMMER BULLETS ARE ALWAYS FASTER." (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/why-hammer-bullets-are-always-faster.319315/), which contains some great discussions on Hammer bullets, pressure, and velocity. Some of the members asked that I upload some of my posts to the Hammer Time forum, so I am happy to do so and will include them below and in the next posts. I hope that they provide some good information and stimulate a great discussion.

ORIGINAL POST 01/11/2023:

The thread on LRH forum "Why Hammer Bullets are Always Faster" is very interesting, and contains much good info and theories, along with a lot of conflicting thoughts. I’ve started working up some loads for a 270 Wby with Absolute Hammer 116s and Hammer Hunters 117s this week (perfect timing), so I have been reviewing my reloading notes and giving this topic lots of thought lately. (By the way, I chose these bullet weights because they will stabilize in my 1:10” twist, and are similar in length to the 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and HT bullets I have shot in the past.)

I have not shot the Hammers yet and do not have the equipment to measure pressure. However, I have good experience with very similarly constructed HT bullets on medium game in the 1990s - 2000s. I also have 30+ yrs of reloading experience, so I do feel that much of this info will be pertinent and hopefully useful.

Here are several thoughts and personal findings to consider as I read through this thread on Hammer Bullets. Some are repeats, some are new, but nice to have in one place.

1. The HT Bullets that is shot previously were solid copper lathe-turned bullets with the shank being land diameter and 11 driving bands being groove diameter. I worked up loads using IMR published load data for Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tips with IMR-7828 for both the 130 gr HTs and 130 gr Noslers, slowly increasing charges from Minimum up to 1 gr under Maximum. In my Weatherby Mark V with a 24” barrel, I was able to drive the 130 gr HTs to 3408 fps (SD: 1.5), while I could only obtain 3301 fps (SD: 10.9) with the 130 gr Noslers using the same powder charge in each. I experienced some primer cratering with the Noslers, but had no pressure signs with the HT solids. The HT bullets shot very accurately and worked well, but, unfortunately, are no longer made.

2. While looking through various reloading manuals and online data, I almost never see published pressure data in new manuals any more that is original. Many of the published pressure data I found was copied from old information. I found 5 listed pressures for IMR 7828 with 130 gr bullets, and they all copied IMRs data from the 1980s. I could not find any current pressure data. This may be because the 270 Wby is a more obscure cartridge. However, I did find it interesting that members noted that some of the major manufacturers use QuickLoad to evaluate pressure (ie. Berger). With the explosion of new cartridges and components, it is likely that the majority of manufacturers now use modeling software to estimate safe pressure, then test loads in firearms to confirm safety and look for pressure signs. However, they don’t publish pressures either because it is modeled and not actually measured, or because they feel it may encourage users to push loads further.

3. It is true that reloading manuals and other published data is only a guide. Even if pressure data is supplied, it does not pertain to your rifle and components. That is why publishers always suggest starting about 10% low and working up. Due to differences in bore diameter, bore condition, bullet diameter, bullet composition, powder, bullet lots, chamber dimensions, case differences, etc, I’m surprised it’s not more than 10%. Bottom line: you have to be able to look for pressure signs in your system. They are not perfect, but will give you some guidance.

4. It has been stated multiple times in this thread that there is no such thing as a free lunch — more velocity = more pressure. This is a statement taken out of context. It is true that for a consistent system, including same bullet WEIGHTS and CONSTRUCTION, that it is not possible to get more velocity without more pressure. However, Hammer Bullets (and similarly constructed bullets) are different in design, material, and construction: 1) there are likely differences in the composition of the bullet material vs jacket material that will affect drag (lubricity); 2) the jacket and lead core of standard bullets will deform more easily, allowing obturation to the bore with less pressure than solid copper bullets; 3) there are clearly bearing surface differences between Hammers and other bullets with driving bands and standard bullets with a uniform bearing surface.

5. The difficult part to predict is how will all of these variables settle out. Will the decrease bearing surface and friction overcome any potential difference in lubricity and hardness in deforming the bullet to fit the lands and grooves (obturation). Only experimentation or actual pressure testing will be able to tell the difference in pressure and velocity for a standard bullet (ie. Nosler Accubond) vs a mono-core bullet with driving bands (Hammer).

6. Sometimes it helps to understand differences by looking at the extremes. Hammer (and similar) bullets use driving bands to reduce bore contact while maintaining an effective bore seal. These driving bands reduce the bearing surface and thus friction with the bore. This is akin to pushing a sled across the ground on a flat bottom (standard bullets) vs on skids or runners (Hammer bullets). For a given amount of work (in our case pressure), it is easier to move an object with less friction, both farther and faster. For example: If you could exert only 100 lbs of force on each of two sleds to move them down a road, one with skids (Hammer bullets) vs one with a flat bottom (standard bullets), which would be easier and faster — the skidded sled of course.

7. I have shown (above) that using the same powder and charge, other components, and rifle (Weatherby Mark V), that the HT bullets obtained faster velocity than the Noslers, while not showing the pressure signs seen with the Noslers. The bullet weights were measured and were the same. The only difference was bullet design and construction.

8. I have had great luck in the past using QuickLoad with standard bullets. However, I do not know if Hammer Bullets or similar bullets (ie. Barnes TSX and LRX) have been added to the bullet database. If not, QuickLoad may not be able to accurately account for the differences in land engraving resistance and bore contact / friction between standard core and cup bullets and solid copper bullets with driving bands. Therefore, QL may not be able to accurately predict pressure, velocity, and time data for these new bullets. I’m sure that updates will solve this problem, if not done so already. It is an incredible program.

9. Further, if engraving resistance and bore friction are reduced due to the design and construction of Hammer bullets, pressure will be reduced for the Hammers compared to standard bullets, regardless of velocity obtained. This would theoretically permit a larger charge of the same powder to be used to bring pressure up to “standard” pressure, while increasing velocities further. However, this reduced friction and pressure would also allow Hammer bullets to use (and possibly benefit from) faster burning powders, similar to how faster powders often show benefits for lighter bullets. Faster burning powders would allow higher pressure to be obtained in a shorter barrel time. This may allow higher velocities with the Hammers, especially in shorter barrels.

10. Finally, speed kills. Plain and simply. Roy Weatherby was correct — the hydrostatic shock created by a high velocity projectile will drop light and medium game much faster than a large slow moving projectile. The best measure of this effect is likely kinetic energy (KE = mass x velocity x velocity). I have shot whitetail deer with my 270 Wby at 3400 fps that dropped as if struck by lightning, while slower heavier bullets from a 45-70 passed through deer without the same dramatic effect. Both animals expired. However, the animals subjected to the shock of the hyper velocity bullet dropped immediately (likely due to nervous system shock), while the animals subjected to the slow, heavy bullet ran and eventually succumbed (likely due to blood loss). These slower and heavier bullets do not cause as much shock, but do penetrate deeply. The best measure of this effect is likely momentum (Momentum = mass x velocity). In KE, velocity is emphasized and is squared. However, for momentum, mass and velocity are treated equally. Momentum is great for large and dangerous game, where penetration is paramount, but speed kills in light and medium game. The benefits of Hammer and other mono-core bullets with driving bands is that you can use a lighter and longer bullet at much a higher velocities to gain a better trajectory and more shock because these solids will hold together, maintain their weight, and penetrate much deeper than cup and core bullets which will explode and /or shed significant weight at these high impact velocities. There is a trend toward heavier and longer bullets with a higher BC for long range shooting. However, I think this is moving too far along the pendulum, and many are sacrificing velocity for BC. This may be beneficial for long-range target shooting, but less so for hunting. I think that by taking advantage of lighter, higher velocity mono-core bullets with higher BCs that retain more weight, you can have the best of all worlds — high velocity, flat trajectory, reduced wind drift, high shock, and deep penetration.

Best Wishes, Mike D.

mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:04pm harperc, gltaylor, and 7 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Jan 16, 2023 at 1:04pm​

hammer-bullets-pressure-velocity

ORIGINAL POST ON LRH - “WHY HAMMER BULLETS ARE ALWAYS FASTER” ON 01/15/2023 -
ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS ON HAMMER BULLETS, PRESSURE, AND VELOCITY (3 parts due to figures):

PART 1/3 - DESIGN AND FORM COMPARISON:
For those that have not looked at the Hammer Bullets up close, attached are images and an explanation that may make the differences between the Absolute Hammers, Hunter Hammers, and standard bullets more apparent. When looking at pictures of the bullets sitting on a desk or bench (Fig 1), it is hard to see the subtle difference between the bullets unless you look very carefully and read the description. However, when they are held in the jaws of a set of calipers and backlit, the primary differences become clearly visible. Attached are images of the .277 cal Absolute Hammer 116 gr (Fig 2) and Hammer Hunter 117 gr (Fig 3) bullets, along with a Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tip (Fig 4), for comparison.

The bearing surface of each Hammer bullet has a parabolic shape, with peaks and valleys in a regular wave form. Each Hammer bullet has the “equivalent” of five separate peaks, which form the driving bands, of full projectile diameter. These are formed by turning the intervening sequences to reduced-diameter valleys. The driving bands have a diameter of exactly 0.2770”, and the valleys are turned to just at or just under bore diameter at 0.268”. (For context, 27 caliber barrels typically have a bore diameter (distance from the tops of the lands) of 0.270”, and a groove diameter of 0.277”.)
The tops of the driving bands form the bearing surface that will engage the rifling and seal the bore, while the valleys form essentially the bullets shank and will ride just above the lands providing little or no contact with the bore. Importantly, due to the parabolic design, the bands gently taper upward and the peaks of the bands are very narrow. This is significantly different than most other designs, in which the sequences are wider and flatter. The resulting tapered and narrowed tops of the bands should further reduce engraving pressure and bore friction.

For the Absolute Hammers, the driving bands appear as five distinct raised bands that project above the shank of the bullet, while the ogive and heel taper upward from the bullet ends to approximately the diameter of the central shank (0.268”) (Fig 2). For the Hammer Hunters, the ogive and heel of the bullet taper from the ends all the way up to FULL groove diameter, and are the same height as the driving bands, at 0.2770” (Fig 3). For the Hunters, there are three separate driving bands in the center portion of the bearing surface, and the maximum diameter of the ogive and heel make up the fourth and fifth driving bands. For comparison, in the Nosler 130 gr BT, the bearing surface remains at full diameter for the bearing surface’s entire length, and the ogive and heel raise up to meet the full diameter (Fig 4).

“Target Techniques to Field Applications”
mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:06pm harperc, farleg, and 6 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Jan 16, 2023 at 1:06pm​

PART 2/3 - DESIGN IMPACTS ON DTL, PRESSURE, & VELOCITY:
The Hammer Hunters are more similar to traditional bullets than the Absolute Hammers in that the ogive tapers to maximum diameter (0.2770”). This means that the ogive portion of the Hammers will contact the leade (tapered initial portion of the lands) and lands of the rifle barrel first and with a broader surface area compared with first driving band of the Absolutes. From the other accompanying photographs, you can see the difference in initial bullet contact point and depth when the Absolutes (Fig 5) and Hunters (Fig 6) are sitting inside bullet comparators from SAC.

The SAC comparators much more closely approximate a rifle leade than other comparators, as they are cut with a chamber throat-like reamer and have an opening close to bullet diameter that tapers down at 3° (1.5° on each side). Therefore, the contact point and distance that the bullet sits above the bullet comparators is fairly representative of how the bullets will contact the leade and rifling in a barrel. (A gauge pin of 0.277” will just sit at the opening of the comparator, a 0.272” gauge will travel ⅛” into the comparator, and a 0.270” gauge will pass through the comparator.)

Measuring the bullets, the overall length of the Absolute is 1.2020” and the Hunter is 1.2220”. However, bullet base to the top of the most forward driving band is consistent at 0.495” each. When placed in the SAC comparators, it can be seen that the Absolute enters further into the comparator before stopping on the forward driving band (just barely seen at the comparator mouth), while the Hunter contacts the comparator at the maximum diameter of the ogive where it essentially forms its most forward driving band. Given that the bullet base to top of the first driving band is the same, the Absolute enters the comparator 0.0735” deeper (0.5335 - 0.4600”). The significance of this is that for cartridges loaded to the same COAL, the DTL (distance to the lands) for the Absolute hunters will be approximately 0.0735” farther than for the Hunter. It is well known and has been shown that as DTL increases (to a point), pressure typically decreases, allowing the use of more of the same or different powders to used, thus resulting in more velocity at similar pressures. The increased DTL in the Absolutes and the fact that the Hunters have a wider first driving band formed by the ogive, are likely the reasons that the Absolutes have been reported to be able to loaded with more powder and to obtain greater velocities that the Hunters without showing pressure signs.

Any increased DTL with Absolute Hammers or Hammer Hunters compared with standard bullets should also allow them to exhibit lower initial pressures, and thus allow a higher powder charge and higher end velocity at similar pressure levels. Further, when compared to standard bullets, the reduction in total bearing surface area created by the parabolic peaks and valleys in the bearing surface (Fig 1-4, in Part 1/3) should also decrease friction further, thus further reducing pressure and allowing a higher powder charge and higher velocities to be obtained at similar pressure levels.

mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:06pm harperc, gltaylor, and 8 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Jan 16, 2023 at 1:06pm​

PART 3/3 - THEORIES AND QUESTIONS FOR REPORTED OBSERVATIONS:

Here are some thoughts, along with some questions for Steve from Hammer Bullets, regarding the discrepancies in theories between powder charges / types, pressure, and velocities for the Hammer-type (mono-core projectile with driving bands) bullets compared to standard cup and core bullets, specifically the comments that Hammer-type bullets can not achieve higher velocities without significant increases in pressure.

From my understanding, the bullet material used to make the Hammer Bullets is similar to the jacket material on cup and core bullets. Therefore, the lubricity and surface hardness should be similar. However, in cross-section, the homogenous copper Hammer Bullets are likely more resistant to deformation and compressive forces compared to the cup and core bullets which have a thin jacket over a much softer lead core. Also, It has also been stated and demonstrated in the literature, that a certain amount of pressure is required to build up for proper powder burn to occur and to build up significant enough pressure to obtain maximum velocity.

Is it possible that when the initial ogive contact of the Hunter bullets or first driving band of the Absolute bullets contacts the leade of the barrel and begins to engrave all the way up to full land height, that this restriction in bore diameter and bullet movement provides enough increase in pressure to allow sufficient powder burn and also to raise pressures high enough to obtain maximum velocity, similar to standard cup and core bullets. However, although the initial ogive contact ring on the Hunters and band on the Absolutes is narrower than the full bearing contact surface on a standard cup and core bullet, the fact that there is less compression of the solid copper cross-section of the hammers compared with the jacket and lead core of the standard bullets provides the additional resistance necessary to reach peak chamber pressures. Thus, at least partially negating the argument that the Hammer bullets do not reach enough initial pressure to obtain reported velocities without excessive pressure.

Assuming the above (that the Hammers can and do reach sufficient pressure once the bands contact the leade and engrave the rifling), once the peak pressures and burn are achieved and the bullet is moving down the barrel, this is where the differences in bullet design likely significantly affect the end results. The driving bands now provide a much lower degree of friction compared to traditional bullets with a full diameter bearing surface. This reduced friction is likely reached for several reasons: 1) The total surface area of the bearing surface is reduced by the fact that there is only contact with the bands, which themselves are significantly reduced due to the parabolic shape; 2) The grooves between the bands provide space for the displaced copper material from the bands to move, also reducing resistance to movement; 3) Cup and core bullets are known to fully obturate to the bore due to the pressure of the expanding gases upon the base of the bullet as well as the bullets resistance to the initial forces of acceleration. Due to the softer lead core, the bullet will deform substantially more than the mono-cores, leading to more complete contact of the lands and grooves for the entire length of the bearing surface, as well as more pressure being exerted on the lands and grooves due to the greater degree of deformation. I have seen pictures of recovered mono-core bullets that show that the driving bands do fully engage the rifling, and that the driving band material will “wipe” back and fill the following groove. However, it appears that the remainder of the bullet does not deform further to fill the gaps between the driving bands of the mono-cores and the bore like is seen in cup and core bullets and cast bullets.

Interesting topic, and I hope this provides food for thought and discussion. I have my Absolute Hammers and Hammer Hunters loaded and ready for a break in the weather and day off. Best wishes. Mike D.

gltaylor
Global Moderator

Global Moderator

gltaylor Avatar

Member is Online
Jan 16, 2023 at 4:54pm via mobile jamesmuhlbeier, farleg, and 5 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by gltaylor on Jan 16, 2023 at 4:54pm​

Mrdinapoli,
Thank you SO much for bringing this over from the LRH Forum. Many here will benefit! And welcome to Hammertime!

easttennjed

easttennjed Avatar

Jan 16, 2023 at 5:54pm via mobile riceman, ButterBean, and 7 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by easttennjed on Jan 16, 2023 at 5:54pm​

Thank you for very comprehensive info. It’s a great read and explanation for at least me 😊
ButterBean
Platinum Member

ButterBean Avatar

Jan 16, 2023 at 8:42pm via mobile riceman, jamesmuhlbeier, and 5 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by ButterBean on Jan 16, 2023 at 8:42pm​

I Love This Place
Remember, Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and win by experience
kurtisb

kurtisb Avatar

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:31am gltaylor, jamesmuhlbeier, and 4 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by kurtisb on Jan 17, 2023 at 8:31am​

That is an excellent read! Hammer bullets are in QuickLoad. I spoke with Steve a few weeks ago asking about the accuracy of the QL data concerning Hammer bullets. He said that QL has standard engraving pressure listed for them, so take the number figures with a grain of salt. I started checking the "friction-proofed" box and setting it up for moly-coated bullets to get closer to how hammer bullets would perform.

farleg
Platinum Member

farleg Avatar

Male
Jan 17, 2023 at 4:15pm harperc, gltaylor, and 4 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by farleg on Jan 17, 2023 at 4:15pm​

Gday
Here’s Steve’s response to the questions
mrdinapoli said:
View attachment 428319
PART 3/3 - THEORIES AND QUESTIONS FOR REPORTED OBSERVATIONS:

Here are some thoughts, along with some questions for Steve from Hammer Bullets, regarding the discrepancies in theories between powder charges / types, pressure, and velocities for the Hammer-type (mono-core projectile with driving bands) bullets compared to standard cup and core bullets, specifically the comments that Hammer-type bullets can not achieve higher velocities without significant increases in pressure.

From my understanding, the bullet material used to make the Hammer Bullets is similar to the jacket material on cup and core bullets. Therefore, the lubricity and surface hardness should be similar. However, in cross-section, the homogenous copper Hammer Bullets are likely more resistant to deformation and compressive forces compared to the cup and core bullets which have a thin jacket over a much softer lead core. Also, It has also been stated and demonstrated in the literature, that a certain amount of pressure is required to build up for proper powder burn to occur and to build up significant enough pressure to obtain maximum velocity.

Is it possible that when the initial ogive contact of the Hunter bullets or first driving band of the Absolute bullets contacts the leade of the barrel and begins to engrave all the way up to full land height, that this restriction in bore diameter and bullet movement provides enough increase in pressure to allow sufficient powder burn and also to raise pressures high enough to obtain maximum velocity, similar to standard cup and core bullets. However, although the initial ogive contact ring on the Hunters and band on the Absolutes is narrower than the full bearing contact surface on a standard cup and core bullet, the fact that there is less compression of the solid copper cross-section of the hammers compared with the jacket and lead core of the standard bullets provides the additional resistance necessary to reach peak chamber pressures. Thus, at least partially negating the argument that the Hammer bullets do not reach enough initial pressure to obtain reported velocities without excessive pressure.

Assuming the above (that the Hammers can and do reach sufficient pressure once the bands contact the leade and engrave the rifling), once the peak pressures and burn are achieved and the bullet is moving down the barrel, this is where the differences in bullet design likely significantly affect the end results. The driving bands now provide a much lower degree of friction compared to traditional bullets with a full diameter bearing surface. This reduced friction is likely reached for several reasons: 1) The total surface area of the bearing surface is reduced by the fact that there is only contact with the bands, which themselves are significantly reduced due to the parabolic shape; 2) The grooves between the bands provide space for the displaced copper material from the bands to move, also reducing resistance to movement; 3) Cup and core bullets are known to fully obturate to the bore due to the pressure of the expanding gases upon the base of the bullet as well as the bullets resistance to the initial forces of acceleration. Due to the softer lead core, the bullet will deform substantially more than the mono-cores, leading to more complete contact of the lands and grooves for the entire length of the bearing surface, as well as more pressure being exerted on the lands and grooves due to the greater degree of deformation. I have seen pictures of recovered mono-core bullets that show that the driving bands do fully engage the rifling, and that the driving band material will “wipe” back and fill the following groove. However, it appears that the remainder of the bullet does not deform further to fill the gaps between the driving bands of the mono-cores and the bore like is seen in cup and core bullets and cast bullets.

Interesting topic, and I hope this provides food for thought and discussion. I have my Absolute Hammers and Hammer Hunters loaded and ready for a break in the weather and day off. Best wishes. Mike D.
This is great stuff. Thank you for your effort. I know this took a lot of time and effort on your part to do.

When we designed our PDR drive band technology we had one goal in mind. Cure the pressure and accuracy issues that are typical with pure copper bullets. The million dollar question with copper bullets has always been, "How big around do you make them too seal the bore but not create over pressure issues?". Our PDR design allows us to make Hammer Bullets larger than caliber without creating excess pressure in tight bore rifles while still maintaining accuracy in loose bore rifles. The radius design makes the outside diameter so finite that the amount of bearing surface contact becomes unconstitutional from rifle to rifle. By making the bands parabolic in nature the rifling engraves and gets progressively more surface or meat to hold or grip the bullet so they do not slip in the twist. The deeper valleys leave room for material deposit as well as less contact in the barrel. When we designed this we did not know that there would be an across the board increase in accuracy from rifle to rifle. We did not know that Hammer Bullets would be almost intolerant to jump. After the fact I can still only theorize why. I believe it is due to the radius design not varying the the engraving pressure when it is closer or farther from the lands. That along with holding extremely tight dimensional tolerance, they are very consistent. With that we also use the softest copper possible and still keep it in bar form. This does allow some obturation under pressure. This would be the reason that in some rifles we see accuracy increase when the pressure is pushed a bit.

The Absolute Hammers were not initially designed for the extra low engraving pressure and resulting speed. We were trying to come up with a cure for varying bc from rifle to rifle because of tighter bores engraving further onto the ogive causing the bc to decrease. We knew it would greatly decrease the engraving pressure but had no idea it would as much as it does. The design became something different than the original intent.

I have to add. None of this was as important to us as terminal performance. A hunting bullet must consistently perform at a wide range of impact velocities and shot angles that are not as perfect as we think they are in the heat of the moment. The largest, longest permanent wound channel is and always will be the most important aspect of Hammer Bullets. We will not sacrifice terminal performance for anything. The hunt always comes down to the bullet performance. All the planning, gear, and effort comes down to the bullet performance on impact.

Hope I have that correct on the pasting
Cheers

joe16
Platinum Member

joe16 Avatar

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:28pm via mobile harperc, gltaylor, and 7 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by joe16 on Jan 17, 2023 at 5:28pm​

mrdinapoli

Sir, those are the most insightful first 4 posts of any new member. Ever!! Thank you. Other than buying you flowers, that was the best description of Steve and Brian's black magic that I've read here so far ...

Ditto GLs welcome to hammer time.

Joe

les

les Avatar

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:03pm harperc, jamesmuhlbeier, and 3 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by les on Jan 17, 2023 at 8:03pm​

Good stuff Mike D.! Thanks. You have confirmed a lot of my pondering. I continue to go with faster powders. I also feel that crimping the bullet is a must to get good ignition with the Hammers. Looking over the data from my ladders for the 300 RUM from last weekend, I have concluded that in the next round I am going to crimp a little more. My ladders didn't climb like I wanted them too. I'm going to try a different primer too.

Keep the good stuff coming!
lightthetower

lightthetower Avatar

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:12pm via mobile
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by lightthetower on Jan 17, 2023 at 9:12pm​

What is the maximum crimp you’ve applied?

les

les Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:24am riceman, ButterBean, and 4 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by les on Jan 18, 2023 at 7:24am​

lightthetower Avatar

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:12pm lightthetower said:

Lightthetower - I started with a quarter turn on the Lee Factory Die. I always start light and work my way up.
aratliff

aratliff Avatar

Male
Jan 18, 2023 at 9:27am via mobile farleg, cbjr, and 5 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by aratliff on Jan 18, 2023 at 9:27am​

Thank you, Mike D! I now have a far greater understanding of what is occurring in the bore after I flinch and yank the trigger. 🤪

mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:51am jamesmuhlbeier and joe16 like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Jan 18, 2023 at 9:51am​

les Avatar

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:03pm les said:
Good stuff Mike D.! Thanks. You have confirmed a lot of my pondering. I continue to go with faster powders. I also feel that crimping the bullet is a must to get good ignition with the Hammers. Looking over the data from my ladders for the 300 RUM from last weekend, I have concluded that in the next round I am going to crimp a little more. My ladders didn't climb like I wanted them too. I'm going to try a different primer too.

Les, thank you very much. Proper powder ignition and burn rate do require the build up of pressure prior to bullet release or travel of the bullet down the barrel, at which point the effective “chamber” size will increase as bore volume is added, which will slow the rise in pressure. I try to control this pressure increase with bullet neck tension. I use a resizing die without an expander rod and expander ball. Then set my final neck tension with an expander mandrel. With typical bullets I have been running 0.002 - 0.003” neck tension. I will be trying 0.004 -0.005” neck tension with both Absolute Hammers and Hammer Hunters as soon as I can get to the range. I was able to fill the 270 Wby cases to approximately 100% load density with appropriate charges of IMR-7828. I hope the increased neck tension will create enough pressure to allow sufficient burn. I have never used or thought of crimping necks because it adds more variables to maintaining consistency. I will provide an update after I hit the range.

kneedeep

kneedeep Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:20am harperc, gltaylor, and 2 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by kneedeep on Jan 18, 2023 at 10:20am​

mrdinapoli

First off, you are a great communicator and explain yourself well. Thank you for taking the time to put your complete thoughts down here for all to read. I also think a majority of your thoughts are common knowledge here and most would agree, but I am curious to see the follow up conversations. Many parts of your post have been discussed here in several other posts, scattered throughout this forum.

Quote: “2. While looking through various reloading manuals and online data, I almost never see published pressure data in new manuals any more that is original. Many of the published pressure data I found was copied from old information. I found 5 listed pressures for IMR 7828 with 130 gr bullets, and they all copied IMRs data from the 1980s. I could not find any current pressure data. This may be because the 270 Wby is a more obscure cartridge. However, I did find it interesting that members noted that some of the major manufacturers use QuickLoad to evaluate pressure (ie. Berger). With the explosion of new cartridges and components, it is likely that the majority of manufacturers now use modeling software to estimate safe pressure, then test loads in firearms to confirm safety and look for pressure signs. However, they don’t publish pressures either because it is modeled and not actually measured, or because they feel it may encourage users to push loads further.”

I was unaware of the information in your above statement. This is new to me, as I just thought some manuals published pressures and others did not.

Quote: “9. Further, if engraving resistance and bore friction are reduced due to the design and construction of Hammer bullets, pressure will be reduced for the Hammers compared to standard bullets, regardless of velocity obtained. This would theoretically permit a larger charge of the same powder to be used to bring pressure up to “standard” pressure, while increasing velocities further. However, this reduced friction and pressure would also allow Hammer bullets to use (and possibly benefit from) faster burning powders, similar to how faster powders often show benefits for lighter bullets. Faster burning powders would allow higher pressure to be obtained in a shorter barrel time. This may allow higher velocities with the Hammers, especially in shorter barrels.”

Using faster burning powders, than normally used for a given group of components and bullet weight, makes sense to me in theory. Many here will recommend “faster than normal” powders. I have only been loading hammers in a few calibers for just over a year. For me, the faster burn rate powders do not always produce the highest velocities in a given load. Most of the time there is a parallel in velocities with published data. Although sometimes significantly higher than published velocities occur. There is a thread here briefly discussing the topic but I will be looking forward to your findings. A couple of barrels have produced slower than published velocities overall but I believe these are just “slow” barrels. I am still trying to work this out for myself as faster than normal powders makes sense in theory.

Thanks again for the discussion
kneedeep

BFD

BFD Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:20am joe16 likes this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by BFD on Jan 18, 2023 at 10:20am​

mrdinapoli Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:51am mrdinapoli said:
les Avatar

Les, thank you very much. Proper powder ignition and burn rate do require the build up of pressure prior to bullet release or travel of the bullet down the barrel, at which point the effective “chamber” size will increase as bore volume is added, which will slow the rise in pressure. I try to control this pressure increase with bullet neck tension. I use a resizing die without an expander rod and expander ball. Then set my final neck tension with an expander mandrel. With typical bullets I have been running 0.002 - 0.003” neck tension. I will be trying 0.004 -0.005” neck tension with both Absolute Hammers and Hammer Hunters as soon as I can get to the range. I was able to fill the 270 Wby cases to approximately 100% load density with appropriate charges of IMR-7828. I hope the increased neck tension will create enough pressure to allow sufficient burn. I have never used or thought of crimping necks because it adds more variables to maintaining consistency. I will provide an update after I hit the range.

My RCBS FL die for 308 and 7-08 size to .004" interference fit/neck tension. ID of fired case .3045", bullet diameter .3085" in the 308. I crimp with Redding taper crimp contained in the seater die. I took close up pics of the PDR grooves to guide me to the place I think the crimp is most effective and with no more pressure than needed. This .004" tension and crimp are working great. This tension setting lets me feel every PDR going into the case. I like it, continuous confirmation things are consistent. I also clean my case necks of lube and trimming debris with alcohol & 30 cal brush. I don't get cold welding of my bullets...yet. Murphy giving me a pass for some reason and it's a bit scary! LOL!

Talk about two ends of the spectrum as I just ordered 21st Century mandrels of .307-3075 to give .0015-.0005 tension on my FTR match rounds...Never a dull moment here!
:D
I am eager to hear of your testing results.

kneedeep

kneedeep Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 11:22am farleg likes this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by kneedeep on Jan 18, 2023 at 11:22am​

mrdinapoli Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:51am mrdinapoli said:
les Avatar

mrdinapoli

Quote: “I will be trying 0.004 -0.005” neck tension with both Absolute Hammers and Hammer Hunters as soon as I can get to the range.”

Have you looked into the elasticity/spring back of brass regarding neck tension? In the past I have read that increasing neck tension over .003” likely exceeds the elasticity of the brass and effectively resizes the brass as your expander mandrel does. This can cause reduced neck tension. Do you have any thoughts?

I loaded bullets in 3 dummy rounds with 2 different neck tensions, .002” and .004”. I had measured the outside diameter of the sized case mouth’s (with the same wall thickness, best I could measure), then pulled the bullets with an impact puller. Yes a crude and unscientific measured but gave me some insight. With .002” neck tension, I could measure .0005” - .001” of spring back after pulling the bullet. With .004” neck tension, I could not measure any spring back. The case neck measured the same as it did with the bullet loaded.

mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:31pm harperc, gltaylor, and 3 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Jan 18, 2023 at 12:31pm​

Kneedeep, Thanks for your comments.

Regarding the manufacturers using QL to get pressure data, that was new to me me too. I have never heard of it before, but there was quite a bit of discussion mentioning it in the original LRH forum I referenced. However, that thread was 31 pages long, and it would be difficult to find the QL discussion within the Hammer discussion. I have no idea how true it is or how prevalent it may be. In fact, it may be used as a way of verifying or triangulating data to make sure data is reasonable and supported by various methods for safety. Regarding the 270 Wby data, all of the data I could find regarding loads and pressure appeared to reference the same IMR reloading pamphlet from the 80 or 90s. However, this cartridge is more obscure, and there just may be a paucity of data. For comparison, I just checked data for the 6.5 CM on the Hodgdon reloading site, and they appear to have pressure data for all or most loads. I’m not sure where it comes from, and I did not see a notation as to how the data was obtained. It would be nice to see the manufacturers include reference data as to how or where the data was obtained. Clearly, pressure levels in individual barrels and systems, even with similar components, will vary from tested systems, but at least we could get some guidance.

The use of faster burning powders, I discussed in theory also. I have always used IMR-7828 in my 270 Wby because it appears to give the best results and I have it on hand. RL-22 and H-4831 may also be good candidates in a slightly faster powder, but I have not tried them. As you mentioned, I have also heard that when faster powders are used, better velocity has not always been obtained, and in fact, it may only provide a higher pressure spike without providing more pressure under the curve. As I previously mentioned, I was able to produce approximately 100 fps more velocity with similar 130 gr banded mono-core copper bullets compared to 130 gr Nosler BTs in the past, with the same powder and charge, and without pressure signs. I am starting my new load testing with the Hammer bullets with IMR-7828 because it has worked well for me. However, I will likely run into 2 difficulties producing directly comparative data with my prior 270 Wby data: 1) I am now switching to lighter bullets (116 gr AH and 117 gr HH bullets) because these bullets are similar in length to the prior bullets, and they are the bullets guaranteed to stabilize in my 1:10 twist; and 2) this 270 Wby is primarily a hunting rifle and is significantly over-bore, so my goal is to obtain a good hunting load, but I don’t to run an exorbitant number of rounds through the barrel experimenting with different component combinations, so I may not get a chance to try faster powders. I will provide data once available. In addition, I have purchased 30 cal bullets for my 300 Win for which I will be working up loads in the future. Further, I have a 6CM and 6.5x47 Lapua for which I will be working up loads and for which I can do more experimentation. Best wishes. Mike D

mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:05pm harperc, farleg, and 2 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Jan 18, 2023 at 1:05pm​

knee-deep, Good comments regarding neck tension and spring back. I have generally found that I get an average of approximately 0.001" of neck spring back in each direction, whether I resize or expand. (ie. If I use a 0.267" bushing to resize a neck, it will spring back 0.001" for a final OD of 0.268"; and if I use a 0.241" expander mandrel, I will get 0.001" spring back for a final ID of 0.240".) I find you can get close by measuring and calculating, however, the only way to know for sure is to do and measure. This seems to hold true for new cases or cases fired 1-2 times -- I do not anneal yet, and have not done extensive testing with cases work hardened by firing and resizing multiple times.

There is a another great threat in LRH titled "Neck Tension Lapua 300prc." (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/neck-tension-lapua-300prc.319331/). There is a great discussion (4 pages) that was started by a forum member asking questions about neck tension amounts and how to set neck tension. I was a little late to this threat also, but I posted several long explanations and discussions on page 3 and 4, in which I discuss some theories of neck tension, differences between neck tension use in bench rest vs F-class, high-power and other disciplines, comments from a discussion I had with staff at K&M Shooting (very helpful people), and specifics about my exact process with before and after measurements for 2 of my personal examples (6CM and 270 Wby). I think you would really like the discussion and get much info from it. Take a look and let me know. It is likely too long to bring over this way. However, I will monitor both threads, and if you have any questions or thoughts, I will keep in touch. Mike D.

farleg
Platinum Member

farleg Avatar

Male
Jan 18, 2023 at 2:41pm harperc, joe16, and 4 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by farleg on Jan 18, 2023 at 2:41pm​

les Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:24am les said:
lightthetower Avatar

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:12pm lightthetower said:

Lightthetower - I started with a quarter turn on the Lee Factory Die. I always start light and work my way up.

Gday
this is for the non bughole guys out there who want a good load without the usual crimp stages
I just go 1/2 crimp these days work up to pressure back off a grain & done except the 500 Jeffery as that I crimp absolute max

only had 1 rifle that this didn’t work in out of 14 rifles & that one ended up a 1/4 crimp
cheers

BFD

BFD Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 6:21pm gltaylor, farleg, and 1 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by BFD on Jan 18, 2023 at 6:21pm​

farleg Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:41pm farleg said:
les Avatar

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:24am les said:

Gday
this is for the non bughole guys out there who want a good load without the usual crimp stages
I just go 1/2 crimp these days work up to pressure back off a grain & done except the 500 Jeffery as that I crimp absolute max

only had 1 rifle that this didn’t work in out of 14 rifles & that one ended up a 1/4 crimp
cheers

Even on a bug hole forum there was an in depth discussion about your recommendation for load development.

One camp posited:

Ladders, OCW, seating depths less than .020, all the stuff we tweak...don't matter overall. A gun will either like a powder bullet combo or it don't. Adding a .3gr either way won't make it shoot any better. Load to pressure back off a grain and go. If the groups are bad, there is nothing to remedy. Must switch to different powder & or bullet. To get a real idea of the rifle's overall affinity for a combo one must look at a bunch of superimposed 3-5 shot groups over time till one can measure 30rnd group. I've been doing this not because of the true test of 30rnd groups, but because of the component shortage. I'd load to pressure and test the various combos of bullet/powder. Whatever looked best out the gate is what I ran with, and maybe a couple tweaks on seating depth.

The other camp is everything matters. LOL!

gltaylor
Global Moderator

Global Moderator

gltaylor Avatar

Member is Online
Jan 18, 2023 at 9:22pm harperc, ButterBean, and 6 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by gltaylor on Jan 18, 2023 at 9:22pm​

All,
Just went to LRH and read the thread mrdinapoli referenced. It is VERY in-depth and worth a read. I have taken the liberty of transferring it to our new Forum for future reference. Thank you mrdinapoli! Another excellently written treatise. Your communication skills are exemplary! I did not transfer other's comments, as I don't have their permission. It will be captured on our new Forum for future reference and learning. The new Forum is coming along slowly. There's many "bugs" yet. GL

Back