Feb 26, 2023 at 1:46pm harperc and gltaylor like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by ButterBean on Feb 26, 2023 at 1:46pm​

kneedeep Avatar

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:51am kneedeep said:
BFD Avatar

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:46am BFD said:
Be honest, you just made that up right now!
:D

BDF,

I think you recently posted a .004" neck tension load. Why and how did you arrive at this neck tension?

Due to minimal bearing surface most of us have found .003-.004 to work the best

gltaylor
Global Moderator

Global Moderator

gltaylor Avatar

Member is Online
Feb 26, 2023 at 3:10pm via mobile ButterBean, farleg, and 3 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by gltaylor on Feb 26, 2023 at 3:10pm​

BFD,
Dwell time is a real thing.
It's why you sometimes see different/better grouping when you change from Mag to regular LR primers in some cases.
It often is reflected in the efficiency of a given case design. The burn rate is changed inside the cases. It is not uncommon to see better, more gradual rate of rise in pressure with a LR vs Mag primer. Sometimes you pressure out prematurely with Mag primers. When you go to LR you may actually get 2-3 more grs of powder and a higher top end speed . I have seen this in some Magnum cartridges.
BBean was not razzing you.

BFD

BFD Avatar

Member is Online
Feb 27, 2023 at 10:18am gltaylor and joe16 like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by BFD on Feb 27, 2023 at 10:18am​

gltaylor Avatar

Feb 26, 2023 at 3:10pm gltaylor said:
BFD,
Dwell time is a real thing.
It's why you sometimes see different/better grouping when you change from Mag to regular LR primers in some cases.
It often is reflected in the efficiency of a given case design. The burn rate is changed inside the cases. It is not uncommon to see better, more gradual rate of rise in pressure with a LR vs Mag primer. Sometimes you pressure out prematurely with Mag primers. When you go to LR you may actually get 2-3 more grs of powder and a higher top end speed . I have seen this in some Magnum cartridges.
BBean was not razzing you.

Oh yeah. I'm all on board with this. I was just poking fun at Bean.

BFD

BFD Avatar

Member is Online
It is the tension point that lets me feel the PDR bands bumping along into the neck and I get outstanding accuracy with it. The dwell time makes sense in my head too.
Last

kneedeep

kneedeep Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:27pm
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by kneedeep on Feb 27, 2023 at 12:27pm​

ButterBean Avatar

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:46pm ButterBean said:
kneedeep Avatar

BDF,

I think you recently posted a .004" neck tension load. Why and how did you arrive at this neck tension?

Thanks for the response ButterBean. I was asking BDF this question because of earlier conversations in this thread about resizing brass necks .004" under final neck diameter to reduce spring back. I was curious if he started with .004" or if he didn't find acceptable accuracy, or I should say precise these days, with less neck tension and worked his way up. I'm curious if using a bushing die without an expander mandrel requires around .004" neck tension in order to overcome excessive spring back. Sounds like BDF started there.

None of this conversation changes my current resizing process but it's worth talking about to possibly get a better understanding in case I have another issue with brass as I did with the 28 Nosler brass.

I believe you did your own neck tension tests in the past and arrived at your above recommendation. Curious if you have any more thoughts about it today.

kneedeep

mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:28pm
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Feb 27, 2023 at 3:28pm​

Butterbean, I reviewed and enjoyed your videos on YouTube. I am curious about PIDT, and want to read more. Which video of your discusses this to give me a bit of a head start?

mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:03pm
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Feb 27, 2023 at 4:03pm​

Kneedeep,

I agree - the “Neck Tension” thread on LRH was very long, and there was a lont of mud slinging. However, there were some good points and interesting tid bits of info that came out. A significant amount of info was somewhat contradictory regarding neck tension, brass elastic and plastic deformation vs amount of reduction or expansion, and effects on accuracy. I feel that the discrepancies suggest that we haven’t found the real “factor” regarding neck tension that affects accuracy. The one common theme seemed to be that consistency was the most important factor in neck tension — it could be lighter or heavier, but had to be consistent.

With regards to thumb placement and the chassis — the two rifles shown are a custom 6.5x47 Lapua in an MDT ACC stock (total wt: 12 lbs), and a custom Ultralight Arms 300 Win Mag (total wt: 7.2 lbs). I grew up primarily hunting, and primarily shooting large magnums in light rifles, so I learned to shoot with my thumb around the neck of the stock to mitigate recoil as much as possible and to maintain control of heavy recoiling rifles. I now have several chassis type rifles in lighter recoiling cartridges (22LR, 22 CM, 6 CM, and 6.5x47), and have read and been instructed to keep my thumb on the same side of the stock as my trigger hand. I have been trying to get used to keeping my thumb on the same side, and have been experimenting with both with my light recoiling heavier weight stocks. So far I am not seeing much difference between keeping my thumb on the same side vs lightly placing my thumb around the neck, as long as I do not grip the neck tightly. I suspect that keeping one’s thumb on the same side may produce better accuracy overall, but I feel it may make rapidly grabbing and moving the rifle (ie. Hunting or PRS situations) more difficult. Again, consistency is the goal. The problem for me is that there is a significant difference in recoil and rifle control between my 6CM in a heavy chassis with a brake or suppressor, and my non-braked 7.2 lbs 300 Win Mag. I have to use completely different holds. If I held my 300 with a light grip and my thumb on my trigger hand side of the stock, I would wake up on the floor with my rifle behind me!!
:)

Also, I have heard that many benchrest shooters that use the free recoil technique do rest and aim their rifles in bench bags, and then do pinch the trigger between their forefinger on the trigger and thumb on the rear of the trigger guard or midline of the rifle neck as you described. I believe the rail gun shooters do the same too. I may to try this with some of my light recoiling rifles to see how it works.
“Target Techniques to Field Applications”

mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:12pm ButterBean, gltaylor, and 3 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Feb 27, 2023 at 4:12pm​

BTW, Kneedeep, butterbean, BFD, gltaylor, and others following this thread,

It took me a while to get all the components and bullets, and set up the “bullet release” experiment Kneedeep and I discussed earlier, but I finally got it completed this week.

I am calculating the data and putting it in a table, and trying to generate some conclusions. I did gain some valuable info. I hope to have the info finished so I can post it tomorrow.

Just wondering…do any of you think it’s better to start a new post so people can find it under “neck tension and bullet release,” or add it to this post where it will continue with the preceding info, but may get lost in the original title and topic???

Let me know.

ButterBean
Platinum Member

ButterBean Avatar

Member is Online
Feb 27, 2023 at 5:27pm joe16 likes this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by ButterBean on Feb 27, 2023 at 5:27pm​

Whatever you wanna do is fine by me

I'm still doing the same thing, No expander ball ,Seat as deep as possible, Crimp and Let Her Eat

gltaylor
Global Moderator

Global Moderator

gltaylor Avatar

Member is Online

Mrd,
As an old BR shooter, I can tell you the desire is to remove as much human interference as possible from the rifle. The front & rear bags hold the rifle. There is basically little if any "cheek weld", only the pad of your trigger finger touches the 2 oz or less trigger. Some "pinch" the trigger by lightly touching the thumb to the rear of the trigger guard. Others barely touch the top of the stock with their thumb. Just personal preference. None "grip" the stock, and most all shoot free recoil to let the rifle slide and return to battery in a straight line.
Nothing like hunting rifles in the least.😁

BFD

BFD Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:40pm farleg and kneedeep like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by BFD on Feb 27, 2023 at 9:40pm​

kneedeep Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:27pm kneedeep said:
ButterBean Avatar

Thanks for the response ButterBean. I was asking BDF this question because of earlier conversations in this thread about resizing brass necks .004" under final neck diameter to reduce spring back. I was curious if he started with .004" or if he didn't find acceptable accuracy, or I should say precise these days, with less neck tension and worked his way up. I'm curious if using a bushing die without an expander mandrel requires around .004" neck tension in order to overcome excessive spring back. Sounds like BDF started there.

None of this conversation changes my current resizing process but it's worth talking about to possibly get a better understanding in case I have another issue with brass as I did with the 28 Nosler brass.

I believe you did your own neck tension tests in the past and arrived at your above recommendation. Curious if you have any more thoughts about it today.

kneedeep

I've found Hammers to be ignorant to inaccuracy, so I was giving Hammers the .004 tension just to increase the velocity for terminal performance, which Hammers seem ignorant to under performing as well!
So, the tension was for velocity and due to the fact I was shooting gas guns. The RCBS FL die sized to .004 with the expander installed, so I didn't/don't mess with that loading method for the AR10s.

My mandrel use had only been with non Hammers until recently with my .243AI acquisition and 88gr HH. This is the loading experience that showed me tickling the brass with small jumps in mandrel size was a problem in that the brass wouldn't hold steady unless I expanded it .004 at a time. So, I decap with a decapping die, size with FL die without decapper of course, which produces the ID of the brass .236". I hit the brass with a .240" mandrel and then seat with .0035" tension on the 88s. I still feel the PDRs, but they don't feel as pronounced as the .004 30 cal. That could be due to bullet size too. I got those 88s cooking to 3400 in 243 form, and 3550 in AI form too! This AI gun is FUN!

BFD

BFD Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:41pm riceman, gltaylor, and 1 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by BFD on Feb 27, 2023 at 9:41pm​

mrdinapoli Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:12pm mrdinapoli said:

It took me a while to get all the components and bullets, and set up the “bullet release” experiment Kneedeep and I discussed earlier, but I finally got it completed this week.

I am calculating the data and putting it in a table, and trying to generate some conclusions. I did gain some valuable info. I hope to have the info finished so I can post it tomorrow.

Just wondering…do any of you think it’s better to start a new post so people can find it under “neck tension and bullet release,” or add it to this post where it will continue with the preceding info, but may get lost in the original title and topic???

Let me know.

I think it would be best for a new thread so the title would pop up in searches of the specific topic.

kneedeep

kneedeep Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:38pm gltaylor and joe16 like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by kneedeep on Feb 27, 2023 at 10:38pm​

mrdinapoli Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:03pm mrdinapoli said:
Kneedeep,

I agree - the “Neck Tension” thread on LRH was very long, and there was a lont of mud slinging. However, there were some good points and interesting tid bits of info that came out. A significant amount of info was somewhat contradictory regarding neck tension, brass elastic and plastic deformation vs amount of reduction or expansion, and effects on accuracy. I feel that the discrepancies suggest that we haven’t found the real “factor” regarding neck tension that affects accuracy. The one common theme seemed to be that consistency was the most important factor in neck tension — it could be lighter or heavier, but had to be consistent.

With regards to thumb placement and the chassis — the two rifles shown are a custom 6.5x47 Lapua in an MDT ACC stock (total wt: 12 lbs), and a custom Ultralight Arms 300 Win Mag (total wt: 7.2 lbs). I grew up primarily hunting, and primarily shooting large magnums in light rifles, so I learned to shoot with my thumb around the neck of the stock to mitigate recoil as much as possible and to maintain control of heavy recoiling rifles. I now have several chassis type rifles in lighter recoiling cartridges (22LR, 22 CM, 6 CM, and 6.5x47), and have read and been instructed to keep my thumb on the same side of the stock as my trigger hand. I have been trying to get used to keeping my thumb on the same side, and have been experimenting with both with my light recoiling heavier weight stocks. So far I am not seeing much difference between keeping my thumb on the same side vs lightly placing my thumb around the neck, as long as I do not grip the neck tightly. I suspect that keeping one’s thumb on the same side may produce better accuracy overall, but I feel it may make rapidly grabbing and moving the rifle (ie. Hunting or PRS situations) more difficult. Again, consistency is the goal. The problem for me is that there is a significant difference in recoil and rifle control between my 6CM in a heavy chassis with a brake or suppressor, and my non-braked 7.2 lbs 300 Win Mag. I have to use completely different holds. If I held my 300 with a light grip and my thumb on my trigger hand side of the stock, I would wake up on the floor with my rifle behind me!!

Also, I have heard that many benchrest shooters that use the free recoil technique do rest and aim their rifles in bench bags, and then do pinch the trigger between their forefinger on the trigger and thumb on the rear of the trigger guard or midline of the rifle neck as you described. I believe the rail gun shooters do the same too. I may to try this with some of my light recoiling rifles to see how it works.

Mrdinapoli,

I should have worded my response to the LRH thread a little better. It was a good thread with lots of good information. But as you stated somewhat contradictory.

Quote:" I feel that the discrepancies suggest that we haven’t found the real “factor” regarding neck tension that affects accuracy."

I feel like the process to find the "real factor" would take so much time and money to test all the variables and then repeat the process enough times to verify the results, that not many are willing or able to do it. And the ones that do it are likely holding that information as an edge in competition. I also think we all have biases to some degree and human nature is to short cut processes. So when we jump ahead to short cut the process and land on a "fix," we tend to start there the next time. Or jump straight to that "fix" if the first thing doesn't work. Either way, I feel these conversations have led me to a better understanding of brass properties and how they can react. I'd like to thank everyone for that.

Regarding shooting techniques, I have found much better accuracy with magnum calibers by pressing the rifle into my shoulder much firmer than light calibers. This is for hunting purposes but I found this while shooting off the bench. Yes contradictory to target shooting. And the wheel turns around and around again.

Looking forward to your test results. No doubt you've spent a considerable amount of time on it.

Thanks,
kneedeep

kneedeep

kneedeep Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:47pm gltaylor and joe16 like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by kneedeep on Feb 27, 2023 at 10:47pm​

mrdinapoli Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:12pm mrdinapoli said:

Let me know.

Agree with everyone that a new thread would make the information easier to find and let it stand on it's own. Although I do get bits and pieces of useful information from these lengthy conversations that help tie everything together. One thing does affect another and it all has to work together.

So I would suggest putting a link on this thread to the new thread and putting a link on the new thread to link it back to this one for those who are interested. Either way, your choice.

mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:15pm farleg, joe16, and 1 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Mar 2, 2023 at 2:15pm​

Ok everyone, I just finished reviewing, writing up, editing and posting the information regarding my "Neck Tension vs Bullet Seating and Release Pressure" experiments. I started a new threat on Hammer Time under "Bullets and Ballistics" using that name. If its easier, the link is: hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/3660/tension-bullet-seating-release-pressure

I hope you enjoy and that it creates a lot of discussion in a relevant area. Off to work now. Mike D.

BFD

BFD Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:20am joe16 and lightthetower like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by BFD on Feb 27, 2023 at 10:20am​

kneedeep Avatar

BFD Avatar

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:46am BFD said:
Be honest, you just made that up right now!

BDF,

It is the tension point that lets me feel the PDR bands bumping along into the neck and I get outstanding accuracy with it. The dwell time makes sense in my head too.
Last Edit: Feb 27, 2023 at 10:23am by BFD
I fool around and find out!
kneedeep

kneedeep Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:27pm
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by kneedeep on Feb 27, 2023 at 12:27pm​

ButterBean Avatar

kneedeep Avatar

BDF,

kneedeep

mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:28pm
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Feb 27, 2023 at 3:28pm​

Butterbean, I reviewed and enjoyed your videos on YouTube. I am curious about PIDT, and want to read more. Which video of your discusses this to give me a bit of a head start?
mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:03pm
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Feb 27, 2023 at 4:03pm​

Kneedeep,

mrdinapoli

mrdinapoli Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:12pm ButterBean, gltaylor, and 3 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by mrdinapoli on Feb 27, 2023 at 4:12pm​

Let me know.
ButterBean
Platinum Member

ButterBean Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:27pm joe16 likes this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by ButterBean on Feb 27, 2023 at 5:27pm​

Whatever you wanna do is fine by me

ButterBean
Platinum Member

ButterBean Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:30pm gltaylor and joe16 like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by ButterBean on Feb 27, 2023 at 5:30pm​

kneedeep Avatar

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:27pm kneedeep said:
ButterBean Avatar

kneedeep

I'm still doing the same thing, No expander ball ,Seat as deep as possible, Crimp and Let Her Eat

Back