Hammer Hunter 180 gr for 308 Win

Using Hornady COAL gauge, I'm getting exactly 3", measured 3x.

Load data from Hammer shows COAL of 2.88" for this load, so a jump of 0.12" ?

Does that sound right, or should I shorten to 2.8"?

I'm planning on using Win748 (CFE223 if I can't get what I want out of Win748), hoping for good groups at 2650 to 2750.

This is a load for my son's rifle. In higher elevations - Limpopo at ~4000 feet and the black bear country we like to hunt in Idaho around 4500-5000, even 2650 fps will deliver a lot of thump out to around 400 yards.

Using Hornady COAL gauge, I'm getting exactly 3", measured 3x.

Load data from Hammer shows COAL of 2.88" for this load, so a jump of 0.12" ?

Does that sound right, or should I shorten to 2.8"?
Your COAL needs to fit and feed from the magazine, not touch the lands, and ideally not seat past the case shoulder inside the case. Many here start out with the case rim in either the first or second PDR valleys, and at least -.020" away from the lands.

Where are you coming up with load data for the 180s in a 308?
Gordon's Reloading Tool

Planning on a 20 shot ladder in 0.2 gr increments.

I am nothing if not cautious. If I hit a node at 2650 or 2675, I'm done. When I find a group that works, I never go any further. The performance gain of even another 100 fps even assuming small ES and SD just isn't worth it to me.

I hit a node at 2400 fps with 160 gr Woodleighs in my 6.5x55 - probably could have taken it to 2550, but I just didn't see a point.

Same for 285 gr Oryx in my 9.3x62. Found a really accurate load at 2250 and didn't go any further. 2400 fps won't get me but another 30 or 40 yards.

Last edited:
Be Very Careful!!!!!!
Their data is not 100% reliable with Hammers!!!!
;)

Their data isn't 100% reliable with anything, I've found. It consistently over-estimates pressure velocity. Armed with that, one might be inclined to ignore the load data developed. It had the opposite effect on me: you never know which load it's actually going to accurately predict. I started doing ladders when I started using GRT.

When you finish developing your load in a "real" rifle, please post your data on the Share Your Hammer Load Data thread under Reloading on this Forum. Ill' post it on the spreadsheets to give others reliable load data.
Thanks - and good luck!

I do have a question i was hoping would be touched on its own, since the OP was mainly concerned about COAL.
Why does the published Hammer load data show a COAL longer than SAAMI spec for this bullet?

The only data I have is in our spreadsheets on this Forum, under Reloading. Those loads were fired in real rifles, by members.
Can't comment on GRT computer simulated load info?

I do have a question i was hoping would be touched on its own, since the OP was mainly concerned about COAL.
Why does the published Hammer load data show a COAL longer than SAAMI spec for this bullet?
There are many loads posted up by members that are based upon their own rifle COAL, CBTO, magazine capacity and freebore which is unique to their rifle. The load data is there as example not as a load for every rifle. There is a specific warning to this effect on the load data. Every loader must measure their own rifle for any bullet they choose to use.

For example, there are "Single feed" mono style bullets since the resulting COAL is far in exceedance of what SAAMI publishes for a typical cup and core bullet. Furthermore, Mono style bullets of comparable cup and core weights intrude into case capacity thereby reducing potent velocity. Shooting any custom bullet requires the loader to have sufficient experience to understand these concepts and load accordingly.

Load data:
Preamble:

Action lengths, magazine capacities, chamber dimensions and freebore can be different for every rifle, even within the same cartridge/caliber. This can affect the potential COAL and CBTO for every rifle. Measure AND establish both the maximum COAL and CBTO for YOUR rifle before loading any bullet, including Hammers. Do not simply follow generic guidelines. Never Assumethese loads will work in Your rifle. Always measure and verify!

Since the COAL and CBTO measurements are unique to each rifle listed, any changes to those dimensions can affect pressure. The loads listed were deemed safe in those specific rifles by the submitter of that load. Use standard safe reloading practices to work up a safe load in your rifle.

There are many loads posted up by members that are based upon their own rifle COAL, CBTO, magazine capacity and freebore which is unique to their rifle. The load data is there as example not as a load for every rifle. There is a specific warning to this effect on the load data. Every loader must measure their own rifle for any bullet they choose to use.

For example, there are "Single feed" mono style bullets since the resulting COAL is far in exceedance of what SAAMI publishes for a typical cup and core bullet. Furthermore, Mono style bullets of comparable cup and core weights intrude into case capacity thereby reducing potent velocity. Shooting any custom bullet requires the loader to have sufficient experience to understand these concepts and load accordingly.

Load data:
Preamble:

Action lengths, magazine capacities, chamber dimensions and freebore can be different for every rifle, even within the same cartridge/caliber. This can affect the potential COAL and CBTO for every rifle. Measure AND establish both the maximum COAL and CBTO for YOUR rifle before loading any bullet, including Hammers. Do not simply follow generic guidelines. Never Assumethese loads will work in Your rifle. Always measure and verify!

Since the COAL and CBTO measurements are unique to each rifle listed, any changes to those dimensions can affect pressure. The loads listed were deemed safe in those specific rifles by the submitter of that load. Use standard safe reloading practices to work up a safe load in your rifle.
That makes sense but I dont find that on Hammers load data page...

@Koda ,
Go to load data on this Forum.
Real data, fired in real rifles, by members.
My question is only referring to the "official " load data on Hammers main webpage. Thats the load data new people are going to find. thats the page Ive shared to new handloaders.

I dont want to side track this thread so its ok if there isnt an answer.

I am also curious how deep the 180gn HH is going to seat inside the 308 case. My guess is enough to lose any advantage the heavier bullet could provide. That bullet is long....

Back