Hammer inspired new gun

les

Hammer Time Executive member
I really enjoy the forum. I'd mention names, but I know I would forget someone, so I will just say thank you to all for my new gun. I'm not a spring chicken anymore. I've been out shooting my 30/06 Ackley Improved at the range again. Somehow it just seems a lot heavier than when I was 40 years old. I have my Remington 788 in 308 up and running finally. It is fun to shoot at the range too. I had two goals for that gun over 20 years ago. I achieved one goal and that is that it would shoot mono bullets well. My second goal is that it would be light weight. My gunsmith was supposed to lighten it. He wouldn't. That is a long story that is 20 plus years old. It can rest. It weighs over 9 pounds. I love my 300 RUM, but it isn't light weight.

I wanted a light weight rifle. My 6.5 Creedmoor is a fairly light rifle. That said, it is a little under powered for hunting elk in my opinion. When all is said and done, I much prefer 30 caliber and up rifles. I hunted elk for years with my father-in-law who used a 7mm Remington Mag. It worked well, but I noticed that my 30/06 AI put them down with much more authority. Just to be clear I am not disparaging anyone who shoots a smaller caliber. I'm talking about MY personal preference. So I knew my next gun was going to be a 30 cal or better. I wanted a short action if possible.

I get jealous of you right handed folks. There just are not that many options for us lefties. I did several mock builds with what I wanted and they all went north of $5,000.00 quickly. That is out of my budget. I had pretty much thought I'm going to have to settle for a 308 Winchester which is a little light on horsepower for where I wanted to be. I talked to several of my hardcore hunting friends (one guy hunts Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Utah,and Nevada). He is an animal. He said to me, "Have you ever looked at the 300 Winchester Short Mag?" That is what he uses. I said, "No." When I looked, I was very pleased with what I saw. The 308 holds 52 grains of water. The 30/06AI holds 61.5 grains of water. The 300 WSM holds 76 grains of water. The 300 RUM holds 110 grains of water. When I picked up my gun yesterday, they had a 30-378 Wby Mag (127.7 grains of water). I picked it up and wow what a heavy long gun! I've been a "bigger is better" guy for a long time! My RUM all in with a scope is lighter and feels better than the Weatherby. Maybe I have finally come to my senses. So, I determined that a 300 Winchester Short Mag was in my sweet spot. The search was on!

I wanted a gun 6 pounds or less. I wanted a gun with a high quality barrel. I wanted a gun with a good action. I wanted a gun with a good trigger. I wanted to keep the cost within reason. I looked and looked. Behold I found what I wanted. My gun has a Proof Research carbon wrapped stainless steel barrel. Oh, I also wanted a 24 inch barrel. I wanted a better than run of the mill action. This gun comes with a factory blueprinted action. It comes with a good trigger. I found it on sale for less than 1500 dollars. Drum Roll.........................I ended up buying a Savage 110 Utralite left hand in 300 Winchester Short Mag. The proof will be in the shooting, but just taking it through the paces, I am pleased! The fit and finish are really good. Scope and brass should be here today. I'll be putting a Ultradyne Apollo Max brake on it too. I plan on only shooting Hammers in it. Everything is a compromise one way or another. I'm all in with everything for less that $2,500. I'm all in for less than the other gun I was looking at or the build I was considering with my gunsmith. So stay tuned for the shooting results. That will be the real proof that I made the right decision. Again a big thanks to the forum to help me think things through. Did I over think it?

Gday Les
I don’t think you put enough effort & consideration into the matter 🤣🤣

Na I think that’s a very good outcome
& you will be pleased & looking forward to the next part of the journey & that’s going to be the one I’m most interested in

So to put me @ bay for a while
What’s the makeup on the following
What critters
What range
What pill

Looking forward to this
Cheers

I’m currently helping a couple of youngsters get into shooting and hunting, they’re a brother and sister and BOTH are left handed! Bit of an eye opener for me as There goes 95% of the rifles on the market! Definitely narrows your options massively! Even some of the rifles that are produced in left hand are forever out of stock plus you pay a premium for the left hand version of the exact same rifle if and when you can get it 🙄

I mean I really like Weatherby mark Vs but probably not going to recommend a $6000 rifle to a teenage girl.. suspect that’s out of her budget

Anyway all that is to say, glad you were able to find something you like at a price you could handle, I hope it works well for you and look forward to hearing your results!

I’m currently helping a couple of youngsters get into shooting and hunting, they’re a brother and sister and BOTH are left handed! Bit of an eye opener for me as There goes 95% of the rifles on the market! Definitely narrows your options massively! Even some of the rifles that are produced in left hand are forever out of stock plus you pay a premium for the left hand version of the exact same rifle if and when you can get it 🙄

I mean I really like Weatherby mark Vs but probably not going to recommend a $6000 rifle to a teenage girl.. suspect that’s out of her budget

Anyway all that is to say, glad you were able to find something you like at a price you could handle, I hope it works well for you and look forward to hearing your results!
Gday TJA I’m sure you already have but our online gun sale sights have some pretty good left hand rifles deals come up

What calibers you looking @ as I’ll keep a eye out & ear to the ground

Cheers

Cheers Farleg, I have been keeping an eye on the left hand sections of those sites and there are some decent options available just so much more limited than right handed shooters!

I’m thinking 7mm-08 would be a great option for her as she is keen to get after sambar but may have to settle for a 308..

243 or 😱creedmoor😱 would be just fine for NSW but not sambar legal

There are a couple of left handed 300 rums on there 🤔 but the rifle might weigh more than she does 😂

Any way it makes me think differently at least!

Cheers Farleg, I have been keeping an eye on the left hand sections of those sites and there are some decent options available just so much more limited than right handed shooters!

I’m thinking 7mm-08 would be a great option for her as she is keen to get after sambar but may have to settle for a 308..

There are a couple of left handed 300 rums on there 🤔 but the rifle might weigh more than she does 😂

Gday TJA
Love how your helping her 👍😇
Yep that legal aspect is why I got a 7-08 for my boys but it’s right handed but other components are not right & 308 I think I’ve got heaps of that brass somewhere & hadn’t given it all away

Let me know when the rifle comes & I’ll help where I can on getting a few of the other things for her

Cheers

My brother shoots a RH bolt action left handed. He either puts a thumb hole stock or pistol grip chassis on them, and he says he can control it better…🤷🏻‍♂️

Gday TJA
Love how your helping her 👍😇
Yep that legal aspect is why I got a 7-08 for my boys but it’s right handed but other components are not right & 308 I think I’ve got heaps of that brass somewhere & hadn’t given it all away

Let me know when the rifle comes & I’ll help where I can on getting a few of the other things for her

Cheers
Thanks mate! I will keep you posted 👍

All of my goodies arrived yesterday. Scope, rings, base, brass, muzzle brake. It is going to be a fun morning. Truth be told, I had never seen a 300 WSM cartridge before. It looks like a fat 308! I have several right handed guns that I shoot left handed. It isn't bad, but it sure is nice to have the bolt in the right place. The other option for left handed shooters are single shots. I'm not sure what you can get in Australia. I started my 2 girls with a single shot. Henry makes a nice single shot in 308. They won't break the bank.

Im a fan of the 7mm-08.

Sometimes they can be found at good prices as the cartridge doesn't seem to have a big following here.

Al efty will come up it's just a matter of time.

Don't overlook the 7-08 but .308 is certainly easier to source.

All of my goodies arrived yesterday. Scope, rings, base, brass, muzzle brake. It is going to be a fun morning. Truth be told, I had never seen a 300 WSM cartridge before. It looks like a fat 308! I have several right handed guns that I shoot left handed. It isn't bad, but it sure is nice to have the bolt in the right place. The other option for left handed shooters are single shots. I'm not sure what you can get in Australia. I started my 2 girls with a single shot. Henry makes a nice single shot in 308. They won't break the bank.
Congratulations on the rifle Les. Can't wait to see the pics. (y)

Congrats Les on your purchase! I never have owned a savage, but several of my friends do, and they really like them. I recently turned a tikka 270 I hadn't used in years into a "semi custom" 30-06. 1-8 twist 21" X caliber barrel carbon barrel, mesa precision altitude stock, fluted bolt, 2 stage timney trigger and a steiner t6xi 2.5-15x50 scope. The 300 WSM is an awesome cartridge, it might be my next short action build! I bet the 137 HH and 154 HHT would be just the ticket for your quarry.

Congrats on the rifle, les!

My next build will be lighter weight and strictly for hammers, too. Perhaps foolishly, I am stepping down in bore diameter, though.

Looking forward to hearing more as you begin loading and shooting.

Stepping down bore diameter 🤔

Yeah! 6.5 is is the new craze, I'm sure it will be a favourite among Hammertime members🤭

But if you need a suggestion Hammers go just fine in the .280a.i.

No longer a wildcat but still a little different with factory brass and dies available.

I have a short action with a mag bolt face on hand. Couple that with frustration on a wildcat I set aside (actually sent the barrel to @BFD , who shipped it back today) led me to want an easy button for a change. So I am going to do a 26/4 PRC, which is totally not a metrogun like the 6.5 PRC! 😂. @DiscoSteve has steered me in a good direction for pill and powder. Waiting for a sale to order barrel.

Haven’t ruled out a 280 AI in the future (I do have a serious crush on .284s!), but I want to build it on a specific action which is unobtainable at the moment. The Tikka is nice, but I like controlled round feeding.

Thanks for all the love from the forum. :giggle: :giggle:

I've been having some issues with my Xterra, so I have not been able to work on my gun yesterday and today. I have the scope on, now I need to change the comb. Savage has interchangeable inserts to raise or lower the comb as well as inserts to make the stock longer or shorter. Kind of nifty. Hopefully, I'll have some pictures tomorrow. I had to do some work to get the muzzle brake timed. I'm excited! I've loaded up several test loads. It seems the 151 AH might be the sweet spot.

Back