Hammer inspired new gun

Anyone out there using Hodgdon Superformance? I'm just not getting the velocity in the 300 WSM that they say I should. I'm really liking my new gun and set-up. It certainly isn't a 300 RUM. I also thought I would get a higher bump in velocity with it over my Ackley Improved 30/06. That said when I looked up the numbers, the Ackley holds 69.1 grains of water and the 300 WSM holds 76 grains of water. Checking the numbers, it brought me back to reality. All of that said, I am really enjoying the gun. It is about 2 pounds lighter than the Ackley Improved 30/06. The brake makes it a joy to shoot. Friday I will be trying the new 138HHT's. It is fun and frustrating at the same time learning the ins and outs of a new round.
@les - what velocities are you getting out of your '06AI and WSM using the same bullet? What length barrels? There's a "4 to 1 rule" that I believe John Barsness came up with that says "an increase of 4% in powder space translates into 1% more velocity", all else remaining equal.

Your 300 WSM case capacity is ~10% greater than your '06AI, so theoretically you should get 2.5% more velocity. Just wondering if that's what you're seeing.

Jrebel

So, you like Savage 🧐 Me too!! Waiting on the phone to ring so I can pick up my new Savage 110 lightweight storm in 270 (too skinny and too ugly) so I can rebarrel it to 35 Whelen. I've had no issues with the accutriggers. I thought they were a game changer when they came out.

💥🚀🔨☠️

Last edited:
@les - what velocities are you getting out of your '06AI and WSM using the same bullet? What length barrels? There's a "4 to 1 rule" that I believe John Barsness came up with that says "an increase of 4% in powder space translates into 1% more velocity", all else remaining equal.

Your 300 WSM case capacity is ~10% greater than your '06AI, so theoretically you should get 2.5% more velocity. Just wondering if that's what you're seeing.
🤔

Reactions: les
[
That is about what I am seeing DiscoSteve. I should do a little better cause the 300 WSM can take more pressure.

@les - is that a 3 position tang safety? I know very little about savage rifles. I've stayed away from them because I just can't make that trigger with the blade work for me (accu trigger?). Do you know if there are many aftermarket trigger options? Esp 2 stage?

I have a browning x bolt 6.5 CM with a 2 position tang safety and a bolt release that I really like. But their "feather trigger" leaves much to be desired. And I haven't found any 2 stage replacement trigger options.
Not aware of any 2 stage triggers but i do like these elf triggers. 20230608_184315_copy_600x800.jpg

Thats an 8 twist 223 wylde and a 10 twist 308. Just got a 9 twist 243 barrel ive been waiting on so one more coming. Itll have an elf trigger also. Sullys arms suppressors.
Both new guns, this was my first year hunting with them. The 308 got a sping bear in idaho and the 223 got a cougar in washington

Anyone out there using Hodgdon Superformance? I'm just not getting the velocity in the 300 WSM that they say I should. I'm really liking my new gun and set-up. It certainly isn't a 300 RUM. I also thought I would get a higher bump in velocity with it over my Ackley Improved 30/06. That said when I looked up the numbers, the Ackley holds 69.1 grains of water and the 300 WSM holds 76 grains of water. Checking the numbers, it brought me back to reality. All of that said, I am really enjoying the gun. It is about 2 pounds lighter than the Ackley Improved 30/06. The brake makes it a joy to shoot. Friday I will be trying the new 138HHT's. It is fun and frustrating at the same time learning the ins and outs of a new round.
I tried Superformance with my 300 WSM and it didn't produce near the velocities they publish. R17 was my previous favorite (3300 fps with 160HH) but now that I found some R16, I'm getting 3315fps with it and the 154HHT and it's temp stable.

I ordered a McGowan Pre fit Barrel in 35 Whelen for my hammer-inspired build on January 2nd.

The phone rang yesterday afternoon and it was the woman from McGowan to inform me that I wasn't charged for the stainless steel barrel nut, there would be an additional $30. She also inform me that there was no way they were going to be able to stick to the timeline in the quote or on the website. I thought oh God this is going to go bad😖☹️

She then told me that they were going to have to ship it tomorrow😯

Who makes a freaking prefit Barrel in 2 weeks?? I'll tell you who, those folks from Kalispell Montana👍

I had to hustle up and order the 178 shock hammers. First told Steve then told Brian on the phone that There's Something Wrong in the water up there, y'all are just amazing.

My fingers are crossed that everything is in order when it arrives the last two have been great barrels so I'm expecting good results.

Back