Hammer inspired new gun

I ordered a McGowan Pre fit Barrel in 35 Whelen for my hammer-inspired build on January 2nd.

The phone rang yesterday afternoon and it was the woman from McGowan to inform me that I wasn't charged for the stainless steel barrel nut, there would be an additional $30. She also inform me that there was no way they were going to be able to stick to the timeline in the quote or on the website. I thought oh God this is going to go bad😖☹️

She then told me that they were going to have to ship it tomorrow😯

Who makes a freaking prefit Barrel in 2 weeks?? I'll tell you who, those folks from Kalispell Montana👍

I had to hustle up and order the 178 shock hammers. First told Steve then told Brian on the phone that There's Something Wrong in the water up there, y'all are just amazing.

My fingers are crossed that everything is in order when it arrives the last two have been great barrels so I'm expecting good results.

I've had two messed up orders from them. I hope yours turns out exactly how you need/want.

From my understanding Mr congeniality has had a stroke so we're going to only wish that gentleman a healthy recovery and thank the company that they hired somebody nicer for the phone. I dealt with him last year on my 358 Winchester Barrel for my model 7 and had no issues. I faintly remember his Pleasant demeanor when they made the 22 Creedmoor barrel for the same model 7, definitely no issues with that one.

🤞

I’ve had my issues with Mr. Congeniality, too. Hearing he had a stroke, while tragic, is not surprising. Wishing him all the best in terms of health and happiness.

Joe - Looking forward to your finished build! I'm excited about seeing what that barrel will do being so short.

Joe - Looking forward to your finished build! I'm excited about seeing what that barrel will do being so short.
22 inch plus break. I didn't want to just simply recreate my 358 Winchester. I'm not even going to shoot the 140s in it (initially). I'm going to stick with the 178 SHs. Try to utilize the extra case capacity. I'm hoping to equal the velocity that I get in the 358 with the 140s in the 35 Whelen with a heavier bullet🤞

The 35 Whelen is here (YAY!!). I put the barrel on it last night. New rings have to be ordered, the set that's on there now are too high.

20240126_054857.jpg

I fired it twice this morning before work. I must be getting soft the second shot still has a primer😁

Got to love a new rifle

Well that's better than stealing the old lady's Metamucil.😳

" what the heck are you doing"? I told her I was saving money😁

What a tease!! Two pills down range and no comment??? I've always had a soft spot for the 35 Whelen. One of the guys I hunted with had one when I was in my 20's. It was still a wildcat back then. Even without Hammers it did a number on elk.

Godamighty! Just shot it first time today😁!
Gotta make a bullet seating gauge/case so I know where to seat bullets
...then the fun can start🤪. Got 50 pcs of brass initial fireformed. Gonna start low with a slow powder to see how it acts (no load data you know🤔).... still got to sight the scope in. Getting the feel of a 30" barrel. Gonna waste a bunch of 125HHTs getting started.
It's a 26 Sherman Mag. 300 PRC necked down, 40° shoulder, 100gr capacity (US 869).
Started safely @ 80 grs, a pedestrian 3040 fps. Probably won't do what I want. Gotta start somewhere😇. If it's not raining tomorrow afternoon, maybe a photo?

Edit: OOPS! Didn't read the above. Thought Mountainman was gooning me. I also have a new toy🫢

OK @Mountainman , I finally got some photos.
Made my modified case so I could determine bullet seating depth.
Loaded up 10 from 80-90 grs of US 869 for the zero and maiden run. We'll see where we get and where to go!

To save questions:
30" Brux. Lt palma contour
Wby 307 LA Mag action
HS Precision bottom metal/mag
Tikka straight trigger @ 2# for now
Arken ffp scope (gonna try, don't expect to like. We'll see???
Muzzle brake on order.
Oh, it's a 26 Sherman Mag. 300PRC blown out, necked down. With 40° shoulder. Capacity 100 grs.

Attachments

• 20240131_172131.jpg
    20240131_172131.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 20240131_172329.jpg
    20240131_172329.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240131_172422.jpg
    20240131_172422.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240131_172429.jpg
    20240131_172429.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
This place is expensive! In my mid 20's ( a long long time ago) my hunting partner's brother came over from western Oregon to hunt with us in eastern Oregon for elk for two years. He hunted with a 35 Whelen before Remington standardized it as a factory option. He drilled two nice elk with it. I always wanted one. Forward 40 plus years and I'm on this crazy Hammer forum and there is a lot of talk right now about the 35 Whelen The urge has been rekindled.

Then you look at the Hammer offerings and the 140 grain Shock Hammer is just calling me!

After a few PMs to some of you folks, some soul searching, looking at the old pocket book, I finally figured out which way to go. I really like shooting my 45/90 Hammer inspired gun. It was built on a CVA Scout V2. I have done many many modifications. So I have one ordered in 35 Whelen. I'm hoping to keep it as stock as possible. It checks most of the boxes. It has a 25 inch barrel. It has a 1-14 twist. It has a brake. It weighs only 5.8 pounds. It can be had for a reasonable price. Mine should be here next week.

That's awesome Les! I think a 35 Whelen might be my next rifle.... I might be asking you some questions! I've looked for a Ruger No 1 in 35 Whelen, but they're exceedingly rare. I haven't looked at the CVA scout.

Anyone out there using Hodgdon Superformance? I'm just not getting the velocity in the 300 WSM that they say I should. I'm really liking my new gun and set-up. It certainly isn't a 300 RUM. I also thought I would get a higher bump in velocity with it over my Ackley Improved 30/06. That said when I looked up the numbers, the Ackley holds 69.1 grains of water and the 300 WSM holds 76 grains of water. Checking the numbers, it brought me back to reality. All of that said, I am really enjoying the gun. It is about 2 pounds lighter than the Ackley Improved 30/06. The brake makes it a joy to shoot. Friday I will be trying the new 138HHT's. It is fun and frustrating at the same time learning the ins and outs of a new round.
Back when I had a 300 WSM I had good luck with RL16, RL17; and, Big Game. However they were used with slightly heavier bullets so maybe try little faster powder. Overall, lots of powders seemed to work reasonably well and it seems like a flexible cartridge.

Back