Hammer inspired new gun

I put the Savage through some of the paces last weekend. I really like the 300WSM. One issue I have with the gun is that it is so new it is a little tight. I just need to shoot it more. I had some Hammers I'm not going to hunt with, so I used them for break-in rounds. My set-up on the Savage Ultra-light kicks less than my Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor. I like the balance. I like the Carbon Barrel. I really like the Tang safety on the Savage rifles. My next step is to look over the load data on the site and figure out what I would like to hunt with. I've got plenty of different bullets to try. I'm leaning toward the 154HHT. I have not worked on any loads with the 138 HHT but I do have a good supply of them.

I've been working more with the ultralight Savage in 300WSM. https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57713.
I was not happy with the first muzzle brake I bought for a few reasons. It worked well. No issues there. However, I was not getting the groups I wanted. Without the brake, the 124's were cloverleafs. With it on, I was getting slightly over 1 MOA. I didn't like the self-timing and it did work loose. So the search was on! I ended up ordering a custom brake from Mac's Gunworks in Gillette, Wyoming. He made it the way I wanted it! The workmanship is excellent. If it shoots like it looks, I'll be one happy camper. This afternoon is looking good for putting some Hammer's downrange. My next decision is if I want a different scope. I'm seriously looking at a Swarovski.

Brake.jpg

Last edited:
I've been working more with the ultralight Savage in 300WSM. https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57713.
I was not happy with the first muzzle brake I bought for a few reasons. It worked well. No issues there. However, I was not getting the groups I wanted. Without the brake, the 124's were cloverleafs. With it on, I was getting slightly over 1 MOA. I didn't like the self-timing and it did work loose. So the search was on! I ended up ordering a custom brake from Mac's Gunworks in Gillette, Wyoming. He made it the way I wanted it! The workmanship is excellent. If it shoots like it looks, I'll be one happy camper. This afternoon is looking good for putting some Hammer's downrange. My next decision is if I want a different scope. I'm seriously looking at a Swarovski.

View attachment 6105
Tested the new brake! It works very well. Groups are back down to a cloverleaf pattern. It tames the recoil down to an amazingly light push. Right now I am working on loads for the 138HHT.

I had my WBY 6-lug 338/06 reamed to the AI, When Smith set the barrel back, it also shortened my bullet to Lands length. This increased my pressures in which I really can't get the velocity I want from the 175HH. I top out at 2900 which is really fine, however...I bought another Wby A-Square barrel to have reamed to the 338 RPM. I see Fotis gets 3200 pretty easy in his. That makes my loins quiver! ha

Last edited:
Gday TJA
Love how your helping her 👍😇
Yep that legal aspect is why I got a 7-08 for my boys but it’s right handed but other components are not right & 308 I think I’ve got heaps of that brass somewhere & hadn’t given it all away

Let me know when the rifle comes & I’ll help where I can on getting a few of the other things for her

Cheers
If you need, l have some 308 brass spare, and maybe rings, Happy to send on
🐢

Cheers turtle, she ended up popping off to the gun shop one day and 1st I heard of it was when her brother told me she had bought herself a left hand remo700 300 RUM 🫣

she had absolutely no idea what it was or that it would kick any more than anything else.. thought the gun was pretty appareny… great cartridge, not what I would call ideal for a very lightly built young girl who is new to shooting 🙁 and with ammo at over $200 a box if you can get it ( no magnum primers available so I can’t even load anything for her) she is unlikely to get much trigger time to learn. Especially when most ranges around here won’t let you shoot a RUM because it’s “too powerful” 🙄

I organised for my gunsmith to make her a good break so it doesn’t disable her and she has shot it without difficulty but it isn’t ideal by any means..

I have offered her the loan of a 22 so she can actually have some proper practice as she’s just not going to shoot the rum enough due to ammo cost and availability (she has 1 pack of 20)

Sorry about the rant 😂 hopefully it all works out for her, I appreciate all the generous offers of help from @Turtle566 and @Farleg and everyone else here

TJA500 - Who says you have to shoot the 300 RUM balls to the walls? You can shoot loads at 30/30 level with AA5744 and standard primers for practice if you want to. I love her choice of caliber, orientation (left handed) and rifle. Bertram should have brass.

g’day Les, I was under the impression that you could down load the rum quite substantially and maybe I should look into it further, if there are loads I can use successfully with large rifle primers that would be great! Thanks for the advice mate! Good to see you back here!

It’s actually a very nice rifle and she got it for quite a good price, I would have bought it myself if the bolt wasn’t on the “wrong” side 😉 just not the most straightforward for her situation

Yeah Bertram brass is easily available, the only hang up for reloading is the primers.. we are fairly limited as far as powder options over here but I will see what I can find load wise 👍👍 thanks mate!

g’day Les, I was under the impression that you could down load the rum quite substantially and maybe I should look into it further, if there are loads I can use successfully with large rifle primers that would be great! Thanks for the advice mate! Good to see you back here!

It’s actually a very nice rifle and she got it for quite a good price, I would have bought it myself if the bolt wasn’t on the “wrong” side 😉 just not the most straightforward for her situation

Yeah Bertram brass is easily available, the only hang up for reloading is the primers.. we are fairly limited as far as powder options over here but I will see what I can find load wise 👍👍 thanks mate!
Hi TJA500, l'm not sure whereabouts you are, l'm in Townsville, if close enough, l'm sure l could set you up with some primers, a slide or two of large rifle, and a slide of Large rifle Magnum, sorry can't help with powder.
🐢

Gday TJA
Les was onto it 👍😎
We need to have a chat that’s overdue as down loading the rum is pretty easy with 2208 or 2217 or with 2206h which are all candidates as it will all depend on the velocity you are after for her

What velocity are you wanting her to start @ so I can get my notes out

Cheers

Back