Hammer inspired new gun

300 WSM becomes 1 million times more relevant with lighter copper monos! It only got shunned by the 200gr+ heavies performance when compared to the 300WM. 137HH-154HHT will be biblical type death upon thy critters!

Ok! I finally have the Savage 110 300WSM put together. It took a little while longer than I planned. I went with an Ultradyne brake. I ended up going with a Leupold base and rings. Wow getting lightweight costs heavy bucks! I ended up putting an old friend on for my scope right now. The scope I bought ended up being too heavy. My goal was the whole rig weighing in at around 7.5 pounds. It ended up weighing 7.6 with 3 rounds loaded. I am well pleased. It took me about a half hour to get the comb and length of pull adjusted to my liking. Now I am just waiting for the weather to cooperate. I've got several rounds ready to go! (See the first post for the full description of the Savage 110 light weight.)

Now the real fun begins!

300 Scope.jpg300 Ultradyne Brake.jpg300 Weight.jpg

Attachments

• 300 Savage.jpg
    300 Savage.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 12
Joe - I have all three loaded and ready to try. I also have some 151 Absolutes loaded up. I just need it to stop raining and blowing.

@les - is that a 3 position tang safety? I know very little about savage rifles. I've stayed away from them because I just can't make that trigger with the blade work for me (accu trigger?). Do you know if there are many aftermarket trigger options? Esp 2 stage?

I have a browning x bolt 6.5 CM with a 2 position tang safety and a bolt release that I really like. But their "feather trigger" leaves much to be desired. And I haven't found any 2 stage replacement trigger options.

Disco, yes it is a 3 position safety. I'm not sure about after market triggers. The jury for me is still out on the blade for me. There are many hunters that I respect that just love the accutrigger. Timney makes a replacement that gets rid of the blade.

I got my Nissan Xterra back. It was a nice day. I had time to go and finally shoot my new gun. I got to the range and guess what! The twenty rounds I had loaded were sitting on my bench at home!!! All was not lost however, I had one round in my pocket! I had a 154 grain HHT loaded with 70 grains of Hodgdon Superformance. So one round to get a feel for the new gun! I set up the Chrono to get a speed reading. I took a deep breath and relaxed. I realized it was one and done for the day. So..................................It is love at first squeeze! I can't believe how little recoil is felt. That Ultradyne brake really works well! The customizable stock and the comb and length just right for a pleasant tiny push on the shoulder.

Not all was lost. I needed to do some work with the Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor and the 118 HHT bullets. I had my 22 rimfire target rifle along to play with as well.

I'm pretty pleased with the speed of my first bullet out of the 300 WSM. 3158 with a 154 grain bullet isn't bad!

300WSM 1.jpg

Last edited:
Between you and Muddyboots. You 2 suck, I want to build a new rifle now and it's all your fault.

Really looking forward to the day you take more than one bullet to the range🙄

The fellas know I have nothing but the utmost respect for them and is only pulling their leg but wow them two suck😚

💥🚀🔨☠️

Heavier platform than the next. Light wgt 35 Whelen. I have a buyer (we'll see) for the 375 Ruger. Gonna start with a Sav Lw storm. Les is on to sumptin here👍 Besides helping me spend money!! The REALLY sucky part is. For a new starter rifle to work out the way I'm thinking is, I most order a 270 😱

I can here em now.

Got a new gunsmith that seems to have 20 20 vision, was getn worried about last guy.🤨 If he can work it in. I'll have it rebarreled.

💥🚀🔨☠️

Anyone out there using Hodgdon Superformance? I'm just not getting the velocity in the 300 WSM that they say I should. I'm really liking my new gun and set-up. It certainly isn't a 300 RUM. I also thought I would get a higher bump in velocity with it over my Ackley Improved 30/06. That said when I looked up the numbers, the Ackley holds 69.1 grains of water and the 300 WSM holds 76 grains of water. Checking the numbers, it brought me back to reality. All of that said, I am really enjoying the gun. It is about 2 pounds lighter than the Ackley Improved 30/06. The brake makes it a joy to shoot. Friday I will be trying the new 138HHT's. It is fun and frustrating at the same time learning the ins and outs of a new round.

@les - is that a 3 position tang safety? I know very little about savage rifles. I've stayed away from them because I just can't make that trigger with the blade work for me (accu trigger?). Do you know if there are many aftermarket trigger options? Esp 2 stage?

I have a browning x bolt 6.5 CM with a 2 position tang safety and a bolt release that I really like. But their "feather trigger" leaves much to be desired. And I haven't found any 2 stage replacement trigger options.
$12.95 fix for XBolt triggers: https://www.mcarbo.com/browning-x-bolt-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

First....Those rifles are amazing. I own 2 of them (300wsm and 6.5 creedmoor) and wouldn't hesitate to purchase more.

I found I really like the 168 HHT in mine. I get 3100 fps with no pressure and it will literally stack rounds on top of each other. We also use brakes and it makes for a super fun rifle to shoot that will kill anything in North America. We have been loading with H4350. I'm sure I could squeeze a few more fps out of other powders, but I have a pile of H4350 and it has been a workhorse for me. We deal with winter weather in the 20's and fall bear weather in the 80-90's so a temp stable powder is very important in my hunting rifles.

There are aftermarket triggers for those that don't like the accu-trigger. With that said, the accu-trigger is pretty fantastic once you get used to it. I am an unapologetic lover of Savage Rifles.....I own a few and they shoot right next to 5K customs. Another nice thing about the savage rifles, is how easy it is to change barrels when you burn one out...or just get bored with the chambering.

Can't wait to hear how your load development goes with those rounds.

Back