Hammer Time 338 yes..358 Maybe.

I just bought 8 lbs of 2460 and 4 lbs of tac ...with in the last month from powder valley or mid south ...i forget which one. I plan on trying the 2460 with my 30-06 and whelen in the future. I only have a couple of lbs of 4895 left

Oh, I don't even have any .358 200gr hammer bullets, I need to order some LOL! I have worek up 200gr Whelen loads with a Hornady Interlock and Barnes TTSX. Best load was with the Interlock and A2520. 2879fps and .8 inch group. But I did kind of abandon the lighter bullets in the Whelen when I figured out what I could do with the 245gr Shock Hammer.

What are your results with the 245 sh? I haven't loaded that up. I also ues the 200 hornady interlocks and the 200 ftx on the boys 35 whelens. I ordered shilen match barrels for the boys....but got a match select for me.....i gotta have and edge. Lol. James at northern shooters supply got a chuckle out of that

What are your results with the 245 sh? I haven't loaded that up. I also ues the 200 hornady interlocks and the 200 ftx on the boys 35 whelens. I ordered shilen match barrels for the boys....but got a match select for me.....i gotta have and edge. Lol. James at northern shooters supply got a chuckle out of that
Here is my 245SH load for the 35 Whelen. I get to pretty much the same place with 64.2gr of CFE223

35 Whelen
.358 245gr SH
2781 FPS
66.1gr 2000-MR
RP Brass
WLRM Primers
COL 3.280 (slightly compressed Load)
Light (1/4 turn) crimp
Ruger M77 24in Barrel
1/14 twist

Last edited:
@central iowa couple ,
No secrets here๐Ÿ˜€! We share freely.
Please post all of your rifle, twist, etc. Info on the Share Your Hammer Loads post and I'll put it in the spreadsheets at next update (end of this month).
All of a sudden we've got a lot of Whelen shooters๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿคช!
Look at the spreadsheet format. That's the data we need.

@central iowa couple ,
Please post all of your rifle, twist, etc. Info on the Share Your Hammer Loads post and I'll put it in the spreadsheets at next update (end of this month).

My spreadsheet is a bunch of chicken scratch in a spiral notebook. It's worked for 40 years why change now!๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

@central iowa couple ,
George we are working on it! What I am finding interesting is that the Whelen is an ignored cartridge by the powder companies. There are several of us trying to find the limits of the Whelen and Hammers without blowing up our guns! The guidance is scarce.
๐Ÿš€ ๐Ÿš€ ๐Ÿ’ฅ :eek:

George we are working on it! What I am finding interesting is that the Whelen is an ignored cartridge by the powder companies. There are several of us trying to find the limits of the Whelen and Hammers without blowing up our guns! The guidance is scarce.
๐Ÿš€ ๐Ÿš€ ๐Ÿ’ฅ :eek:
Yes..most of the published 35 Whelen data is strange in how it ignores the 35 Whelens potential. The load data here is the same, no max loads over 2500fps with 250gr pills. And none of the powders are used that work really well with heavy bullets in the 35 Whelen.

Back