I love comparing optics

RichCoyle

Hammer Time Executive member
The other day I was at the shooting range. There was a guy who had a Leopold mark 5. I think it was a 5-25X. Anyway he allowed me to take a look through it. I compared it to my March 2 1/2 to 25 X 52.

In the brief time I had without adjusting them it appeared that the glass in the mark 5 was just about the same as the glass in the March with both on the 25 power.

It was a sad discovery for me the other day. Because my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 is really clear all the way to 30X, I took it to the range because conditions wouldn't allow me to see the 300 yard target holes on 25X with my March 2 1/2-25X52. The March is just so nice. The Bushnell is like a Democrat: very narrow view. I never used it on anything other than 4 1/2X for hunting or 30X for looking at bullet holes, so never gave it any thought. No wonder optic snobs don't like it. But it did work for what I wanted; despite that very narrow view.

Here's my plan. Next month when Trump is back in office and gives us all a million dollars, I will purchase a March 5-50X56 for the 7-.338RUM and move the March 2 1/2-25X52 over to the 8mm Coyle. How sad it is the Bushnell will only be used as a spotting scope at the range, but only when I take the 8mm Coyle.

I've not been sad with my Nikon. I got the Black FX1000 4-16x50. I am glad I went that route over the Vortex PST Gen II. I was really sad when I learned that Nikon stopped making riflescopes.

I've pretty much switched to Tract Scopes. Another bespoke company similar to Hammer Bullets. Started by two friends, Jon and Jon. There scopes are made in Japan to their specs. There isn't a middleman mark up on their scopes, so you are getting a lot of scope for the money.

I love the VX5 3-15X56. I did a low light comparison to the Swarovski z5 5-25X52, Leupold VX6 4-24X52, and a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 on my 12" wide fork deer antlers 131 yards away. The VX5 lasted a full six minutes longer than the others. They all went down in the same minute, so no real difference.

Here's a mind blower. With the Bushnell set on 13X, it lasted two minutes longer than the Minox 13X56 binoculars!

I wish somebody would explain the attraction of mils to me. Please us small words. All things being equal I can't get my head around preferring .36 increments to .25. I understand it means little to nothing at close range but can be significant out yonder.

Regards
Look at it like a 1/4 or 1/2 MOA click scope. With mil being the 1/2 MOA adjustment equivalent.

I like the system of 10s. .1 mil per click

Back