I love comparing optics

…simple answer:💰😬
I guarantee some of my nightforce are the same price or cheaper than some of these Leupold VX5's. The SHV line (I own 3 or 4 of) is very affordable. They are a little heavy in comparison to the Leupold.....but price wise maybe cheaper. It is super important if your are going with the SHV...that you get one with the ZEROSET.....different from the ZEROSTOP in their higher end but still very functional. I accidently bought one without the ZeroSet and I promptly sold it.

Obviously the NXS and NX8 are more price....but man are they worth every penny. That NX8 4-32x50 is hands down the best scope I have ever shot with. My daughters NXS is some of the clearest glass I have ever seen. Just great scope.

I guarantee some of my nightforce are the same price or cheaper than some of these Leupold VX5's. The SHV line (I own 3 or 4 of) is very affordable. They are a little heavy in comparison to the Leupold.....but price wise maybe cheaper. It is super important if your are going with the SHV...that you get one with the ZEROSET.....different from the ZEROSTOP in their higher end but still very functional. I accidently bought one without the ZeroSet and I promptly sold it.

Obviously the NXS and NX8 are more price....but man are they worth every penny. That NX8 4-32x50 is hands down the best scope I have ever shot with. My daughters NXS is some of the clearest glass I have ever seen. Just great scope.
That’s a good review.., my brother is trying to talk me into one. I like the Sightron SIII and Trijicon Tenmile for the money, but the NXS is definitely a contender.

Have you looked through a VX5HD?

Have you looked through a VX5HD?
Yes and it is nice glass. I love Leupold….until it comes to the reliability and repeatability of thee dials. If a guy is not dialing his shots at range and is just using holdover, Leupold makes great glass. Lots of reviews though with the newer leupolds and their dials not being accurate / reliable, or repeatable over time.

Prior to my dialing elevation days….I was a diehard Leupold fan. I still own quite a few as a matter of fact. As for my longer range rifles….well any new rifle at this point….nightforce will have my money. They are just great scopes.

My buddy Dimitri has the same vx5 on his Browning. Compared to my vx6. The only way to say it, is it pops, it's different.

🤷 just saying

It does, doesn't it? I have a vx5hd 3-15 that I had on my rifle, but I switched it out for an Arken EPL-4 4-16. The reticle is far more useful, it's FFP, and the FoV and clarity are comparable in shooting conditions. The vx5hd does have something to the image...like more "pop" or something, that I can't put my finger on...
I’m in the process of switching everything I have to Arken, I am really impressed with them

I’m in the process of switching everything I have to Arken, I am really impressed with them
I like them as well. Bought one recently after looking thru a friends at the range. Only with their turrets weren't quite so.......huge. Clearer than several of my higher dollar scopes. Love the reticle.

Regards

Back to the op and original comment.

I like Leupold but would have thought the March would be better glass or appear brighter for the $

Fwiw, I have three Arken FFP scopes, but I wish I only had one. The EP5 is very nice. I’ll probably find a use for the SH4 4x16, but the SH4 6x24 is a regret purchase. Glass on EP5 puts the SH line to shame.

Thanks for the vote of confidence for NF vis a vis the Leupold, @jrebel!

As for Trijicon…I have read that the glass in the tenmile and the Credo is the same. Haven’t peered through a tenmile, but the lowest end 1” tube Credo I bought is outstanding, especially for the money.

Edit to add: the Credo’s magnification adjustment knob interferes with the 90 degree, two lug bolt on a Kimber 84M. Works great on three leg guns, but I didn’t buy it for a 3 lug gun. Ugh…

Last edited:
Fwiw, I have three Arken FFP scopes, but I wish I only had one. The EP5 is very nice. I’ll probably find a use for the SH4 4x16, but the SH4 6x24 is a regret purchase. Glass on EP5 puts the SH line to shame.

Thanks for the vote of confidence for NF vis a vis the Leupold, @jrebel!

As for Trijicon…I have read that the glass in the tenmile and the Credo is the same. Haven’t peered through a tenmile, but the lowest end 1” tube Credo I bought is outstanding, especially for the money.

Edit to add: the Credo’s magnification adjustment knob interferes with the 90 degree, two lug bolt on a Kimber 84M. Works great on three leg guns, but I didn’t buy it for a 3 lug gun. Ugh…
If you want to move it shoot me a PM

I wish somebody would explain the attraction of mils to me. Please us small words. All things being equal I can't get my head around preferring .36 increments to .25. I understand it means little to nothing at close range but can be significant out yonder.

Regards
The simplicity of it for me

Back