I love comparing optics

I've grown weary of banging my head against the wall trying to dial Leupold scopes using their CDS.

My deer rifle (Ruger #1 in 25-06, 90gr AH) is now wearing a Meopta Optika6. Waiting for a Kenton Industries custom dial to show up and off to the range I will go. I really like the scope so far compared to VX5HD and VX3HDs currently in my inventory.

For $750, I'm really hoping this new scope performs/tracks on par with the online reviews I've read: https://www.eurooptic.com/Meopta-Optika6-25-15x44-Illuminated-4C-30mm-SFP-Riflescope-653629.aspx

interesting to hear that people are having issues with leupold and the CDS system. I have no experience with it but was leaning towards vx5-hd or vx3-hd scopes for my next couple of planned rifle builds as it seems everything I hear out of the US is that those scopes with the CDS dials are the greatest thing since sliced bread 🥖

Can I ask for more information on the issues that people have had with the leupolds and especially the cds?

@choprzrul I was also looking at the meopta/Kenton combination as it would be considerably cheaper than the leupolds and I love the older meopro scopes I have. Please report back once you try it out!

Back to the op and original comment.

I like Leupold but would have thought the March would be better glass or appear brighter for the $
The other day at the range there was a guy with a new Leupold VX6 HD 4-24X52. I had my March 2 1/2-25X52. The difference being that 1 extra power on the March does make a difference.

On the target at the bottom is the word official in red letters maybe 1/8" high. I could make out the letters with the March but I couldn't make out the letters with the Leupold.

A few days earlier there was a guy with a Leupold Mark 5 5- 25X. I could also read the word official with his scope.

Back to the op and original comment.

I like Leupold but would have thought the March would be better glass or appear brighter for the $
Somewhere I posted this but I don't remember where. Anyway, I have some antlers about 12 inches across 131 yards from the porch. I had both the March and the Bushnell on 10 power and I kept looking for the antlers with the Bushnell. I couldn't find them with the bushes in the background. I switched to the March and immediately found them. Once I knew where to look, I could find them with a Bushnell.

Nope, give me inches.

Even the old timers in Australia say they hate the metric system. Inches was so much easier. Even though I know that Mils and Metric have it nothing to do with each other. Just sayin.

Had to laugh when I read this, reminded me of an old buddy who says “there are two types of countries in this world…those that have been to the moon, and those that use the metric system”.

Gday
Jth & joe didn’t you take note of Cbh & back to the op & original comment 😜

I’d never do that 🤣
Well now as that was gold you 2

Carry on

Onto optics I’ve just got a aim point h2 2moa dot so there’s my answer on where I stand & wow man these are improvement from the old bushnell reflex that I cracked the Sh-ts with & actually threw in the bin as I didn’t want anyone to ever use that crap

Cheers

I have been using and buying the meopta optika5 scopes as of late, they are second focal plane with thin duplex. they are physically heavy and they arent exactly pretty but they have the German Schott glass in them and all 4 of them that I have outperform my 2 vx3i and vx3hd scopes. the meopta's are on sale lately and I have bought 2 more and went with the 2-10x42 model optika 5 at 299.00 bucks without the paralax adj. with the PA it was a little more. I don't think there is a better value out there. these are 1" tubes in the optika5 line and the optika6 is 30mm for most models but they are around 27-30 ounces which is too heavy for me so I stick with the 1" optika5's. they are totally clear and usable all the way to the highest power and I have the 4-20x50, 3-15x44, and two 2-10x42 which being shorter and more compact is really growing on me for hunting.

In my family, we have all 3 reticle versions of the Athlon Argos HMR 2-12x42. The 600 bdc is non-illuminated. The 600A and the duplex with center dot are illuminated. Website says 19.8oz. They have a shorter tube and mounting on a LA savage 110 requires most brands of mounts to use a front offset ring or rail/rings. Haven't found any other actions with this caveat. Pretty nice glass for the price. Usually cheapest from camera land.

Recommendations on the lightest quality scope at around 4-14 power with a 42mm front glass???? Still finishing up my mountain rifle.

I still use 1" tubes on most of my hunting rifles where weight is a consideration.

Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 14.5oz
Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 12.7oz
Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 15.9oz

Great glass and I love the BRH reticle.

Dang @Mountainman those are light! A bit out of my price range, but... one can dream.
I just looked them up. The lightest one is under a grand. Maybe it is time to sell some of your "gun safe queens" and upgrade. I just know that Swarovski is amazing glass. I will never forget sighting in my rifle years ago at the range and the guy next to me was calling my shots with his scope. I had a Leupold VX III that I at the time thought was the best. I finally couldn't take it anymore so I asked, "You can see my shots?" He said, "Yes." I went over and looked through his scope, and WOW was it clear. I could see my shots. I've never bought one, it is now on my list. Thanks Mountainman.

I just looked them up. The lightest one is under a grand. Maybe it is time to sell some of your "gun safe queens" and upgrade. I just know that Swarovski is amazing glass. I will never forget sighting in my rifle years ago at the range and the guy next to me was calling my shots with his scope. I had a Leupold VX III that I at the time thought was the best. I finally couldn't take it anymore so I asked, "You can see my shots?" He said, "Yes." I went over and looked through his scope, and WOW was it clear. I could see my shots. I've never bought one, it is now on my list. Thanks Mountainman.
I don't really have any safe queens. The only one that doesn't get out much anymore is my 30-30 bolt gun. It was my first rifle and it ain't going anywhere.
$600 weighs about 5oz, right? So 5oz out of my wallet and 5 off the gun 😆 🤣 😂

Back