New from Alaska

akmtnrunner

Long time TTSX hand loader of 308, 338, and 375 varieties. I've been happy with their performance on caribou, moose, and an interior grizzly bear, but I'd like to improve energy transfer a bit. I've only caught one ttsx (which nicked a rib and probably tumbled) so I know I am leaving energy on the table. I am currently developing loads for a 33 Nosler with as much long range potential as possible.

I'd like to get started with some Hammer bullets but I'm not sure what bullet weights I should be looking at. I understand what was best for the Barnes' but not at all for Hammer's. My 33 Nosler has limited COAL as it's a Tikka with max around 3.35". A typical hunt for this rifle would be for moose up to ~500 yards but also possibly bumping into a grizzly at close range. Can someone educate me on which bullets to look closer at? To me, the 236 HH and the 255 SH look good but again, I have no experience with these bullets.

Generally, a little lighter than you're used to. 1) Magazine length issues, and 2) Ensures adequate twist. Preferred twists are listed, and measuring actual twist if your listed is close.

I just sent a .375 to Alaska with a friend, 248 HH an all around choice, and 270 SH for the biggest bears. Although the 248 will work great on everything. Another friend has been experiencing success with the 248 up there.

The 163 HHT in .308 is a good choice.

In .338 with magazine considerations I'd look at the 205 SH, and 175 HH. The bullets you mentioned are in the 1.6" range. Bullet lengths are listed on the site.

Welcome from Idaho. I was a Barnes Bullet user for many many years. The closest thing I hunt with that is close to your calibers is the 300 RUM. The motto with Hammers is "Speed Kills." I wish I could help you out. I'd love to hunt Alaska! I do enjoy Black Bear hunting. I would lean toward the lighter faster bullets with Hammers. I'm sure you will get some sage advice from folks with more experience in your world.

Back