Official Hammer Bullets Terminal Performance (picture heavy)

Hahaha, now I'm going to be excited all shift tonight...

I'll be busy playing with load development for longer than I expected, but that's ok—I love loading for new bullets!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231122_165525_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20231122_165525_Opera.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 51
During the WV hunt I took an 8 pt with the 250AI and 75 HH. Took a 7pt with 338 RCM and 175 HH. That 175 put quite a hole in that 7 pt and took out 6 ribs and wiped out the spine. It entered front of the left shoulder and turned upward hitting top of lungs and spine and exited high on the back. Lungs destroyed in both. Also took a doe with the 250AI.
Your 75hh in your 250ai.
What's your thoughts on performance?
I've ran them in my 25-06 but just haven't shot anything with it yet.

Hahaha, now I'm going to be excited all shift tonight...

I'll be busy playing with load development for longer than I expected, but that's ok—I love loading for new bullets!
Its a long and winding road to NZ and even before these next l00 60grn HH arrive there is something new to tempt the curious...

Moving Through Network
In Transit to Next Facility

November 20, 2023

Arrived at USPS Facility
November 16, 2023, 2:57 am

Customs Clearance
ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)
November 16, 2023, 2:57 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
November 14, 2023, 11:24 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
MISSOULA MT DISTRIBUTION CENTER
November 13, 2023, 9:07 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
KALISPELL, MT 59901
November 13, 2023, 3:05 pm

Last edited:
Got a blacktail after all! Now I’d carefully combed the unit I posted about earlier, many many times and after my first post on it, the only other deer I saw there were on private ground near the entrance to the unit! 5 watching me one morning, still there late afternoon when I left; 4 the next week with 2 forks sparring. But nothing more in the unit in eight more hunts. Sheesh. I figured my season was over, as we had committed long ago to watching our grandbabies to let their folks get away together hunting farther south.

The day before that trip, step-son says bring my gear, in case they got home early and he could take me out into some big areas near them. Cool. They’re down on the coast out in the country and when hunting with him we at least see deer! So I brought my gear. Well, they’d had a doe getting fallen apples from their trees with both a fork and a 3-pt hanging around a few days, and the 3-pt had run off the fork. They’d last seen them on that Monday. We arrived Tuesday, no deer. I figured nature had run her course and the deer’d gone their separate ways.

Wednesday, Nov 1, parents left before dawn with their lamas for their great adventure and we were in full-time toddler-watch. Well, when I walked up to the shop for something, I bumped the doe and 3-pt. I went back to the house, changed shoes, got my gun & raincoat, and went hunting.

Long story short, I sat on the ground at the base of a huge fir tree, opposite where bucky’d entered the timber, and waited, knowing he was too interested in that doe. Sure enough, 10 minutes later, he emerged from the uphill timber to my right about 50 yards uphill from where he’d entered and casually walked down into the top of the pasture near Miss Doe. Broadside, facing right, about 85 yards. My shot was lower than I thought, but he struggled forward about 7 yards, laid down for a moment, then got up and started back up toward the timber. I could see blood on the inside of his front right leg, and I shot again, but although he made sort of a bucking upward move, it was a miss. So was the third shot- he just kept on, into the timber. Great. Now I get to do the blood trail. But I waited, having read the archery guys who wait so as not to bump him while he bleeds out. Another 5-10 minutes, and I heard him in the woods- because he tumbled down off the steep timbered slope into the edge of the pasture just opposite me, dead.

The photos aren’t as detailed as you more experienced guys take, sorry, and my phone died. But it looks to me like this 150g Power Hammer from my 30-06 did its work. (57.2g IMR 4451, mv 2980fps, impact velocity about 2750fps) Entrance and exit were at the sternum, in front of the shoulders rather than behind, with some petals scattering. One petal came out right at the sternum (you can just see the hole in the photo “entrance and exit”), another we found during processing just above the elbow of the left leg. The internal organs were all intact, except the top of one lung that was jellied.

I never hunted alone before this season, and this is the first deer I’ve shot alone. I bumbled around for quite a while gutting and skinning him. But for me, this was some closure to what has felt like a coming-of-age episode, even at this stage of life (retirement!). I’ve learned a lot from this forum and thank you all. I’ll continue the Hammer journey for my own loads as well as watching yours.

Meanwhile I’m looking forward to some range practice!

Attachments

• 1700872559399.jpeg
    1700872559399.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 1700872521298.jpeg
    1700872521298.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 1700872382586.jpeg
    1700872382586.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 1700872340244.jpeg
    1700872340244.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 1700872286172.jpeg
    1700872286172.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 1700872215267.jpeg
    1700872215267.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 29
Got a blacktail after all! Now I’d carefully combed the unit I posted about earlier, many many times and after my first post on it, the only other deer I saw there were on private ground near the entrance to the unit! 5 watching me one morning, still there late afternoon when I left; 4 the next week with 2 forks sparring. But nothing more in the unit in eight more hunts. Sheesh. I figured my season was over, as we had committed long ago to watching our grandbabies to let their folks get away together hunting farther south.

The day before that trip, step-son says bring my gear, in case they got home early and he could take me out into some big areas near them. Cool. They’re down on the coast out in the country and when hunting with him we at least see deer! So I brought my gear. Well, they’d had a doe getting fallen apples from their trees with both a fork and a 3-pt hanging around a few days, and the 3-pt had run off the fork. They’d last seen them on that Monday. We arrived Tuesday, no deer. I figured nature had run her course and the deer’d gone their separate ways.

Wednesday, Nov 1, parents left before dawn with their lamas for their great adventure and we were in full-time toddler-watch. Well, when I walked up to the shop for something, I bumped the doe and 3-pt. I went back to the house, changed shoes, got my gun & raincoat, and went hunting.

Long story short, I sat on the ground at the base of a huge fir tree, opposite where bucky’d entered the timber, and waited, knowing he was too interested in that doe. Sure enough, 10 minutes later, he emerged from the uphill timber to my right about 50 yards uphill from where he’d entered and casually walked down into the top of the pasture near Miss Doe. Broadside, facing right, about 85 yards. My shot was lower than I thought, but he struggled forward about 7 yards, laid down for a moment, then got up and started back up toward the timber. I could see blood on the inside of his front right leg, and I shot again, but although he made sort of a bucking upward move, it was a miss. So was the third shot- he just kept on, into the timber. Great. Now I get to do the blood trail. But I waited, having read the archery guys who wait so as not to bump him while he bleeds out. Another 5-10 minutes, and I heard him in the woods- because he tumbled down off the steep timbered slope into the edge of the pasture just opposite me, dead.

The photos aren’t as detailed as you more experienced guys take, sorry, and my phone died. But it looks to me like this 150g Power Hammer from my 30-06 did its work. (57.2g IMR 4451, mv 2980fps, impact velocity about 2750fps) Entrance and exit were at the sternum, in front of the shoulders rather than behind, with some petals scattering. One petal came out right at the sternum (you can just see the hole in the photo “entrance and exit”), another we found during processing just above the elbow of the left leg. The internal organs were all intact, except the top of one lung that was jellied.

I never hunted alone before this season, and this is the first deer I’ve shot alone. I bumbled around for quite a while gutting and skinning him. But for me, this was some closure to what has felt like a coming-of-age episode, even at this stage of life (retirement!). I’ve learned a lot from this forum and thank you all. I’ll continue the Hammer journey for my own loads as well as watching yours.

Meanwhile I’m looking forward to some range practice!
Santiam

Congrats on the deer and the memorable hunt. The entry and exit of that PH certainly didn’t hit a lot of vitals but still results in a successful ending. I’m assuming the “jellied top of the lung” was from a petal. If that’s not great terminal performance, I don’t know what is. Great story and memories for a lifetime.

Congrats again
Kneedeep

Gday santiam
I echo the above & guessing you didn’t get to that shop as you utilised Mother Natures shop instead 😜

Congrats sir I’m so happy you’ve done this own your as that is going to be something you’ll be able to relay to the toddlers as they grow up & memories for you

That is a few of these types of shots now that have occurred so don’t worry about it as a few of us have had hammers cover our backsides & love how your positive on the range practice 👍 it will come together

Only a few brands can do this but not as many variations & one that we shouldn’t pick a pill based on this happening but it’s sure nice that we are covered when it does occur we have more leeway than we once used to
Hammers once again show another part of the “ they cover more bases “

I look forward to your next adventure
Cheers

Did some small workups with the 57gr HHT over the last couple days. Surprising little bullet, this 57 grainer is. Will have some posted load data soon, as well as a dive into the difference in terminals as compared to some similar weighted Hunters and Absolutes.

This bullet is tricky as its final COAL is actually longer than the 68gr due to the single PDR being spaced farther than those on the 68gr. Mid PDR has full neck tension while the heel above the boattail has slightly less as it peaks maybe 1-2 thou below the neck/shoulder junction in the 223. Still produces perfectly straight ammo. Base of bullet sits dead even with the shoulder/body junction. Plenty of room for powder. I think this one is going to produce excellent accuracy. WW#41 primers also might be the ticket. Velocity peaks with N133 (not surprising as that was the case with the 60gr HH). Xterminator and AR Comp also give good speeds. I'm using Western's 5.56/223 rem (CIP) 62ksi data as the load basis.

@NZTahr
You're gonna see at least around 3300fps from this as long as you're not too conservative with your charge weights. This bullet has VERY low bearing surface and needs slightly higher charges than other MFG's 55-60gr bullets.

Last edited:
Did some small workups with the 57gr HHT over the last couple days. Surprising little bullet, this 57 grainer is. Will have some posted load data soon, as well as a dive into the difference in terminals as compared to some similar weighted Hunters and Absolutes.

This bullet is tricky as its final COAL is actually longer than the 68gr due to the single PDR being spaced farther than those on the 68gr. Mid PDR has full neck tension while the heel above the boattail has slightly less as it peaks maybe 1-2 thou below the neck/shoulder junction in the 223. Still produces perfectly straight ammo. Base of bullet sits dead even with the shoulder/body junction. Plenty of room for powder. I think this one is going to produce excellent accuracy. WW#41 primers also might be the ticket. Velocity peaks with N133 (not surprising as that was the case with the 60gr HH). Xterminator and AR Comp also give good speeds. I'm using Western's 5.56/223 rem (CIP) 62ksi data as the load basis.

@NZTahr
You're gonna see at least around 3300fps from this as long as you're not too conservative with your charge weights. This bullet has VERY low bearing surface and needs slightly tonigher charges than other MFG's 55-60gr bullets.
They sound great. My finger has hovered over the "buy now" button for the 57 HHT several times...but the 250NZD for 100 landed has scared me off on each occasion. Compounded by 100 60grn HH due to arrive any day. So trying the tipped Hammers will have to wait for a while and I will continue with the 60HH.

Last edited:
137gr 30 cal Hammer Hunter. High shoulder shot at impact velocity of ~2440 fps. Buck was facing broadside in the orientation pictured. Almost non-existant entrance or exit wounds and very little blood until I rolled him on his back for gutting. Entrance and exit both seemed to be sealed up when I was skinning the next day. It was a bang flop and both shoulders had very little meat damage, so I'll take that trade and hope a lower and/or further back shot will have more damage and bleeding for blood trailing. Bullet didn't open up much in the shoulder, but the expansion is evident on the thoracic entrance and there was a signficant amount of bone and other material blown into the ribcage on entance side. Thoracic exit fairly small and barely evident on the exiting shoulder.

It is hard to complain about the performance of a deer that didn't take a step, but I lost another deer that I shot at much closer range. Enough variables in the equation as far as first light, bad shooting rest, and brush that I'm hoping I somehow missed because I could not find a speck of blood. I hit with a followup shot as the deer ran off and found a stretch of about 10 yards where there were approximately 8 chunks of meat on shrubs, the largest being about the size of the end of the finger (from the last knuckle), but not a single drop of blood. I don't want to blame the bullet for what could easily be chalked up to a miss and a running shot into some muscle, but the paltry entrance and exit on the pictured buck do not put my mind at ease and make me confident that I didn't hit and just didn't see blood because the wounds didn't bleed enough to pick up the trail.

I also lost a deer last year with a 124 HH where the deer was down and then got bumped by my hunting partner and the blood trail went dry in about 20 yards despite there being a nice pool of blood where the deer initially settled and several large splashes as it first took off. Being 2/4 on deer with confirmed hits could just be unlucky and both loss scenarios had enough mitigating factors that I can't say this isn't more about my (poor) hunting than the bullet performance, but my confidence in Hammers is waning. I should have a chance at a depredation doe at close range on a wheat field in a few weeks and will intentionally avoid the high shoulder. Blood will be extremely evident on that surface and I'll have a spotter so it should be a good test of whether that bullet blood trails enough to trust in thick cover.

Attachments

• 2023 Rifle Buck.jpg
    2023 Rifle Buck.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 2023 Rifle Buck Entrance.jpg
    2023 Rifle Buck Entrance.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 2023 Rifle Buck Exit.jpg
    2023 Rifle Buck Exit.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Sorry about your less than stellar results.
As you know, a high shoulder shot into the CNS is instant lights out. However, up that high there is very little blood loss or venting outward. If you're off just a little, you can miss the spinal cord, and it is kinda a "no man's land" for terminal performance. Deer have survived such shots and were collected the following year (shot again).
Try a lower heart/lung shot (with or without bone contact) and I bet you will be pleased😃! You should also get much more blood trail - if he goes a few yards.

@Snailz While I have not lost a deer with hammers (lost three with LeHigh CC…never again!), I, too, have exoressed concerned with lack of blood trail with Hammer Hunters. No deer ran very far, and I could tell they were dead deer when they were hit. Still, I know what you mean.
At any rate, consider the Shock Hammers. I am still open to the HHT and have three white tail kills with two different HHT versions already, but I will likely stick with the SH line moving forward.

@Snailz While I have not lost a deer with hammers (lost three with LeHigh CC…never again!), I, too, have exoressed concerned with lack of blood trail with Hammer Hunters. No deer ran very far, and I could tell they were dead deer when they were hit. Still, I know what you mean.
At any rate, consider the Shock Hammers. I am still open to the HHT and have three white tail kills with two different HHT versions already, but I will likely stick with the SH line moving forward.
How are entrance/exit wounds with the HHT and Shock Hammers? These were both so small, when I tried to show them to people the next day, I couldn't find them and realized the hide more or less sealed up once I jammed my finger into the hole via the rib cage. The buck I got with the 124 HH last year also lacked a significant entrance wound and the bullet didn't exit because it lodged in the shoulder knuckle and just barely didn't make it out. The blood trail was not dramatic, but was not difficult to track and he made it maybe 30 yards before piling up. I'm interested in the 154 HHT, but the 137 shoots great in my 308 and I don't want to be overthinking it.

Sorry about your less than stellar results.
As you know, a high shoulder shot into the CNS is instant lights out. However, up that high there is very little blood loss or venting outward. If you're off just a little, you can miss the spinal cord, and it is kinda a "no man's land" for terminal performance. Deer have survived such shots and were collected the following year (shot again).
Try a lower heart/lung shot (with or without bone contact) and I bet you will be pleased😃! You should also get much more blood trail - if he goes a few yards.
Yeah, the shot was higher than I intended, but it was a buck tracking a doe who had left within the last 2-3 minutes so he wasn't going to be sticking around long. He came in scent hounding and only stopped to look around real quick. The shot was still low enough that it double lunged and there was plenty of internal damage. I stayed on him for a good 7-8 minutes before moving since I've seen the videos of bros high fiving after a high shoulder and the buck getting up and running off, but he only seized for maybe 20 seconds before expiring. I'd just like to see at least an exit that is dramatic enough that I can feel confident it's going to stay wide open and give a trail until the deer piles up. I don't need a fist sized exit like some bullets give on high velocity impacts, but an enter and exit that are basically caliber sized are a little disconcerting. It is very nice to make that shot and have still have essentially no meat loss, but I'll throw away both shoulders if it saves me two plus hours of stressful, unsucessful tracking where you feel like an idiot for not finding any blood or for losing a trail after 10 yards because the next drop is 50 yards away,

How are entrance/exit wounds with the HHT and Shock Hammers? These were both so small, when I tried to show them to people the next day, I couldn't find them and realized the hide more or less sealed up once I jammed my finger into the hole via the rib cage. The buck I got with the 124 HH last year also lacked a significant entrance wound and the bullet didn't exit because it lodged in the shoulder knuckle and just barely didn't make it out. The blood trail was not dramatic, but was not difficult to track and he made it maybe 30 yards before piling up. I'm interested in the 154 HHT, but the 137 shoots great in my 308 and I don't want to be overthinking it.
138hht?

the 137 HH
The 138HHT should be an almost direct swap with your 137HH load as long as mag length allows for the slightly longer nose with the tip. I'd still drop back a hair and work back up but it should be short development.
I do have a soft spot for the 137HHs in my rum.

Back