Official Hammer Bullets Terminal Performance (picture heavy)

I’m suggesting to you the 138hht.
Apologies, I didn’t see that it was released. I was hoping for something in that weight range. It hits a good spot for 308 win on deer. The extra bc on the HHT gets you beyond 600 for a 1700 fps impact. I’m not at the skill level to take that shot on an animal yet, but that has sort of been my benchmark for my max theoretical range for deer and it’s cool to see that you can get there with the hum drum 308 in a monometal bullet.

The 138HHT should be an almost direct swap with your 137HH load as long as mag length allows for the slightly longer nose with the tip. I'd still drop back a hair and work back up but it should be short development.
I do have a soft spot for the 137HHs in my rum.
Yeah I’m running 2.827 OAL, but my mag can fit up to about 2.95 so I have plenty of room. My load is about 1.4 gr off max so pressure should be fine. Running 3010 over 47.4 gr Varget, 22” barrel.

Tell me about your load.
Not specific info, just powder and fps and how it groups. My 138 hhts will be delivered Friday.
H4350 @ 3830fps, 1/4turn FCD and new norma brass. Between barrel break-in, load ladder, scope sight-in, and first 2 deer, I'm into it all of like 13 rounds or so? Lol. It'll shoot under an honest 1.5moa, but I literally haven't done any accuracy development. Found pressure backed off 1g, sighted scope and went hunting!

I’m really hoping to find 4000
Fireformed ADG brass and RL26 would probably get me there or close in my 26" - 8twist. Couldn't get either at the time. Slower twist and longer barrel also would get you much closer.

Edit to add: with my 168HHT load work-up and a dead muley, I bet I'm still under 40 total down this barrel. Might speed up some when I get a few dozen more killed. Lol

Last edited:
How are entrance/exit wounds with the HHT and Shock Hammers?
My experience with comparable weights has been with the 136SH and 132HHT in .284 bores. Last season vs this season, sample size is small on each, and I did not handle all the deer myself. (Always do at least one a year to maintain skill, but I don’t have the time to handle them all myself).
All those caveats aside, I am still in favor of the shock hammer for larger holes and more tracking fluid (if needed, of course) while holding on to hope I can be converted to the HHT.
Looking forward to trying the 138HHT in .30 cal, and probably even the 118HHT for 7mm.

My experience with comparable weights has been with the 136SH and 132HHT in .284 bores. Last season vs this season, sample size is small on each, and I did not handle all the deer myself. (Always do at least one a year to maintain skill, but I don’t have the time to handle them all myself).
All those caveats aside, I am still in favor of the shock hammer for larger holes and more tracking fluid (if needed, of course) while holding on to hope I can be converted to the HHT.
Looking forward to trying the 138HHT in .30 cal, and probably even the 118HHT for 7mm.
That thermal gonna really help with the tracking fluid thing!

Yessir.
It was a 12 year olds first attempt at a hog. I was fully confident we would recover it and do a European mount for the kid. But the dang thing made it to the river. I don’t know how y’all’s weather is this week, but for me, twernt worth swimmin for…..

But we didn’t give up, next attempt later last night was successful. Kid made a perfect 200 yard shot (bog pods)on a somewhat smaller swine, (223, federal 60grain soft point factory ammo). I was watching through the Rico micro and watched the 50yard death dash. Kid was ecstatic! IMG_6856.jpeg

Back