Prayers for a member.

Hi all, I wanted to give an updated on what is going on.

My current kidney function is "stable" in that I am not in the hospital, and the hope is to keep it that way for the forseeable future.

I had three appointments last week - an ultrasound for vascular surgery, a meeting with the vascular surgery team, and a meeting with a general nephrologist.

My "POST: transplant" team has referred me to general nephrology to treat the kidney failure as a standalone issue. There is nothing else they can do for the current transplanted kidney, so we are in preparation for a new kidney and dialysis.

Regarding dyalisis - and a new kidney transplant...
I do not have a blood relative available for kidney donation. My sister is a general blood type match, however, with her mother's (my stepmom's) family history of diabetes and kidney failure (grandmother died due to kidney failure from unmanaged diabetes), she would likely be ruled out.

The reality of the situation is that the time frame to get a potential match would be longer than my current kidney has life left in it.

Am "AV fistula" takes 3 months to mature. The other option for dialysis is a central line catheter which is an external tube with a straight shot to the heart, so we need to avoid that at all possible.

Bottom line is I will be going in for surgery within the next couple weeks to get the fistula built - what is called a brachiobasilic fistula - Brachial artery to basilic vein. (GOOGLE is your friend here). I have an old occluded one from years ago in my right arm as well, on a different vein, but it is not usable. After several weeks of letting this fistula mature, then I will have another surgery to move it into a position which can be reached by the dialysis needles.

All this in hopes that I can remain stable enough to stay off dialysis until the fistula matures; then it is just a matter of getting hooked up to the machine, rather that chaos, and emergency room visits and possible life flight to Salt Lake City.

Some hobby changes I will have to make are fairly significant. My right arm use will still be there, but not full strength, but I will have to use it. I will likely be able to shoot my .223's and 22's ok, but my .30-06, .30-30 and muzzle loaders will likely require either serious load modification or shooting left-handed. When I start dialysis, it will be a lifestyle change, as I will be reliant on the machine for 3 days a week. Short camping and fishing trips locally, I will likely just apply for local deer and antelope hunts, nothing too strenuous, and keep running my hounds in favorable country for as long as my energy and strength allows.

So, a bit long winded, but that's what the future looks like.

Biggest thing is to pray for my wife Jessica, who also is going to school...
She got into a program last year with the intention of working into a job as I neared 20 years, however, I didn't make it. She completed this previous semester with good grades and starts again on the 22nd. This is a very positive thing for her, and she is working her butt off.

My two daughters - Clara and Addison - taking this mess like troopers.

Take care all, take care of your families, and God Bless.

Last edited:
Hi all, I wanted to give an updated on what is going on.

My current kidney function is "stable" in that I am not in the hospital, and the hope is to keep it that way for the forseeable future.

I had three appointments last week - an ultrasound for vascular surgery, a meeting with the vascular surgery team, and a meeting with a general nephrologist.

My "POST: transplant" team has referred me to general nephrology to treat the kidney failure as a standalone issue. There is nothing else they can do for the current transplanted kidney, so we are in preparation for a new kidney and dialysis.

Regarding dyalisis - and a new kidney transplant...
I do not have a blood relative available for kidney donation. My sister is a general blood type match, however, with her mother's (my stepmom's) family history of diabetes and kidney failure (grandmother died due to kidney failure from unmanaged diabetes), she would likely be ruled out.

The reality of the situation is that the time frame to get a potential match would be longer than my current kidney has life left in it.

Am "AV fistula" takes 3 months to mature. The other option for dialysis is a central line catheter which is an external tube with a straight shot to the heart, so we need to avoid that at all possible.

Bottom line is I will be going in for surgery within the next couple weeks to get the fistula built - what is called a brachiobasilic fistula - Brachial artery to basilic vein. (GOOGLE is your friend here). I have an old occluded one from years ago in my right arm as well, on a different vein, but it is not usable. After several weeks of letting this fistula mature, then I will have another surgery to move it into a position which can be reached by the dialysis needles.

All this in hopes that I can remain stable enough to stay off dialysis until the fistula matures; then it is just a matter of getting hooked up to the machine, rather that chaos, and emergency room visits and possible life flight to Salt Lake City.

Some hobby changes I will have to make are fairly significant. My right arm use will still be there, but not full strength, but I will have to use it. I will likely be able to shoot my .223's and 22's ok, but my .30-06, .30-30 and muzzle loaders will likely require either serious load modification or shooting left-handed. When I start dialysis, it will be a lifestyle change, as I will be reliant on the machine for 3 days a week. Short camping and fishing trips locally, I will likely just apply for local deer and antelope hunts, nothing too strenuous, and keep running my hounds in favorable country for as long as my energy and strength allows.

So, a bit long winded, but that's what the future looks like.

Biggest thing is to pray for my wife Jessica, who also is going to school...
She got into a program last year with the intention of working into a job as I neared 20 years, however, I didn't make it. She completed this previous semester with good grades and starts again on the 22nd. This is a very positive thing for her, and she is working her butt off.

My two daughters - Clara and Addison - taking this mess like troopers.

Take care all, take care of your families, and God Bless.
I will pray extra for your wife and daughters!

@mevertsen: Praying for you and your family. As a hospital chaplain and one who works as a member of the Organ Donation team, I will praying you get a new kidney soon. For the rest of us, you are a reminder for us to be thankful for our good health.

We went shooting the other day. The girls had a good time. My youngest shot the 60 year old .22 my grandpa bought in the 60's. Its hers now. 4 generations have shot this gun.

Attachments

• 20231221_135013.jpg
    20231221_135013.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 20231221_134438.jpg
    20231221_134438.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 27
Well everyone, I hope the new year finds you all well. We are getting ready to head for Salt Lake. My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow - unknown time as of yet, but I will update when I can.

A bit nervous, not because of the surgery itself, but because of the changes which will be coming that I am having a hard time adjusting to mentally. Good thing for a caring and understanding wife to help through this all.

Take care and God Bless.

Lord we pray you guide the surgeons hands in this procedure and if it be your will, restore this man 100 percent of his health. We don’t understand your plan Lord but we do know it is a perfect plan.
Most of all Lord, thank you for your perfect sacrifice, without Him, these prayers wouldnt even reach you.
Amen.

God Speed and safe travels mevertson.

Back