Testing with handgun calibers?

Handgun400

Hammer Time Executive member
No, not the rifle calibers some of us shoot in handguns but actual handgun rounds from actual handguns.

For example, has anyone tested the 205 grain .429s from a .44 magnum on a decent testing media, ballistic gel, pork shoulder, live critter? The weight alone screams high velocity (i.e. a 270gr Deep Curl over H110 scoots along at 1500+ fps).

For what it’s worth, there’s not a company, save Hornady, producing hunting bullets in handgun calibers.

I have not.

My fall plans include testing the Jack Hammer in .357, 4inch Ruger GP100.

My current load uses 158 XTP's.

I've slowly been doing some load tests on the 205s in 7.5" super redhawk. These are S.R.O. loads. H110 ran out of room somewhere north of 1600fps. Ramshot enforcer [EDIT:] to just shy of 1800fps but still have room for a couple of grains. I contemplated cutting down some 444 brass for more powder space, but its already a hand full. Primers all looked good and cases still came out smoothly. Will probably back off with the enforcer to 17ish and leave it there.

@Steve Davis, what do you mean by robust? Only killed paper so far and live in a State that requires a bullet to "expand" to be legal for hunting. Hoping maybe this fall to put one in a deer. Just curious on your thoughts. Thanks.

Edit notes: went back and checked my notes to see that I wasn't full and still have room.

Last edited:
I've slowly been doing some load tests on the 205s in 7.5" super redhawk. These are S.R.O. loads. H110 ran out of room somewhere north of 1600fps. Ramshot enforcer basically ran out of room just shy of 1800fps. I contemplated cutting down some 444 brass for more powder space, but its already a hand full. Primers all looked good and cases still came out smoothly. Will probably back off with the enforcer to 17ish and leave it there.

@Steve Davis, what do you mean by robust? Only killed paper so far and live in a State that requires a bullet to "expand" to be legal for hunting. Hoping maybe this fall to put one in a deer. Just curious on your thoughts. ThanAs in Ruger only loads?
Are you meaning as in “Ruger only” high pressure loads?

I’d like to see one shot into water.

Yup, Super Redhawk Only. I wouldn't trust them in a small frame s&w or some lever guns either.
I'm hoping to spend some time hitting the reloading bench soon. I'll try to save some empty jugs and line some up.

I've slowly been doing some load tests on the 205s in 7.5" super redhawk. These are S.R.O. loads. H110 ran out of room somewhere north of 1600fps. Ramshot enforcer basically ran out of room just shy of 1800fps. I contemplated cutting down some 444 brass for more powder space, but its already a hand full. Primers all looked good and cases still came out smoothly. Will probably back off with the enforcer to 17ish and leave it there.

@Steve Davis, what do you mean by robust? Only killed paper so far and live in a State that requires a bullet to "expand" to be legal for hunting. Hoping maybe this fall to put one in a deer. Just curious on your thoughts. Thanks.
We are thinking if we take some of the radius out of the ogive and increase the size of the meplat with a bit more cup they will deform more. The current design technically deforms. I think we can get a bit more soft tissue permanent wounding is we make it look more similar to the 9mm. The current .429 is a terrific penetrator.

We are thinking if we take some of the radius out of the ogive and increase the size of the meplat with a bit more cup they will deform more. The current design technically deforms. I think we can get a bit more soft tissue permanent wounding is we make it look more similar to the 9mm. The current .429 is a terrific penetrator.
Big meplats do very well in cast, add the increased cup and I bet it would be impressive.

Penetration ain’t a bad thing either. Especially on dangerous game.

I was able to have a little fun today! Also, after getting a chance to look at my notes, my last one was @1750fps with enforcer. EDIT: still have room for a few more grains, still not finished.

But today's fun...
20230609_175931.jpg20230609_173751.jpg

Loaded up 3 at each speed. The one on the left simulates approximate 85 yard shot with load on the left. I guessed a g1 of .170. Shot first 2 of each at target to check aim points. Lined up a gallon milk jug in front of two 5 gallon plastic jugs with screw on lids, all full of water. Had an old piece of telephone pole butted up behind all that. First shot was the 1700 at 15 yards. Went through the milk jug, through first 5g jug, into second 5g jug and put a nice dent in the back of the second one that dented the wood behind it. It stayed in the second jug. Second shot was the 1450 at 20 yards. Fresh milk jug 6 inches lower, same first 5g jug butted up against the wood pole. Shot went through both 1g and 5g jugs, put a 3/4 inch deep hole in the pole and bounced out.

Last edited:
Pic of first setup below. Second setup is minus one yellow jug and milk jug set lower, below first hole line. 20230609_214313.jpg
Edit to add: milk jug is 6" and each yellow jug is 11" for a total of 28 inches of water.

Last edited:
I agree, if the slower bullet expanded to what the faster one did, I think that would be hard to beat. I would think it would be best to keep it at or under 0.5 inches maximum expansion to retain its deep penetration ability, though. I bet as it stands, the fast one would probably make it 3ft if not 4+ft through an animal depending on how many bones it passes through. It was a nice straight line through for both shots, but I'm sure the 1:20 twist aided that. Recommend minimum is 1:30.

I like the idea of such handgun bullets expanding 30-40% of their diameter. With proper energy they’ll continue to penetrate sufficiently and open a substantial wound channel. So .40 would expand to .56, .452 would expand to .63 etc. Swift has this down nicely with their A Frame.

Prior to Lehigh’s current production there was a bullet known as The Penetrator and its reputation was exactly such. I’ve never used any of Lehigh’s ammo.

So I am fairly new to loading handguns. I recently got some 150 Jack Hammers for my 4.25 Python. Ended up using 13.5 gr of Vihtavuori N-110 @ 1288 fps. Accuracy seemed decent but I primarily shoot rifles, not handguns. Seating the 150 jackhammer seemed odd though, as you are really seating it deep to get the 1.59 COAL for 357 Mag. Not sure if I should push for more velocity or not. Recoil seemed mild to me

Attachments

• IMG_2733.jpeg
    IMG_2733.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
As long as you are well short of sticking out the end of the cylinder, you can go longer in a revolver. I noticed it doesn't look like you put a crimp on the end of the mouth? There is a handy little groove right behind the ogive to roll a crimp into(not a pdr valley that we use for rifle fcd crimps). Not totally necessary for a revolver, but loaded in a tube mag, it could cause set-back with recoil. If you need to seat the bullet longer to crimp in that groove, just be sure to check the cylinder length.

At first I did seat it at that grove, but the tip of the bullet did stick out of the cylinder when I did a function check. I took that picture before I did the taper crimp (Lee taper crimp die). I am going to try and push it a little faster, maybe go up .5 a grain, but it might be getting close to compressing the powder.

Yep, you'll have to load them a bit short. Vihtavuori has a couple of different listings for 158gr bullets. Most show a max higher than 14gr. As always, be careful. We all want to go home with all the fingers and toes we came with.

Back