The Backfire Milk Jug Challenge. Quite the LRH Backfire!

Where I hunt it’s a combination of sitting and standing with bipod sticks or mono, or tree or fence posts, I suck at off hand when there’s a critter involved so pretty much avoid those shots. Basically never enough terrain for prone. I want to think about something three legged this year, when folded up maybe still useful as a mono for quick shots.

Where I hunt it’s a combination of sitting and standing with bipod sticks or mono, or tree or fence posts, I suck at off hand when there’s a critter involved so pretty much avoid those shots. Basically never enough terrain for prone. I want to think about something three legged this year, when folded up maybe still useful as a mono for quick shots.
Not cheap, but I sure like mine for sitting in the blind for river bottom whitetails. My son uses the same one out waking the sandhills for mule deer. Very versatile. Can be used as a mono walking stick or shooting stick, standing tripod, kneeling, and sitting.

Shameless copy/paste of pictures from the interwebs:

1714250921286.png
1714250967029.png
1714251101762.png

So I decided to really test the LOS sight in. Every rifle will be sighted in 1st LOS for the jug challenge without ever shooting at range. The only load ever shot at range is the 156HH and I reverified it is 100% spot on at its 41yd LOS. In fairness it has been shot at 300 and 👏👏. Watch, it will fail epically! 😂 All others have never been on range. The .243 55HH LOS has been proofed out to 450yds on critters so 🤷🏻‍♂️ at 600? This is something I personally need to do to make both @Farleg and me just grin like Cheshire Cat.

I am betting a precision LOS sight in will be effective out to 600. 🤷🏻‍♂️🙏 The potential shot drop error is low at that distance relative to sustained velocity and BC at that distance IMO.

IMG_3746.gifIMG_3720.gif

@choprzrul I have the Gen 2 version and I love it. I don't know what the difference is between Gen 2 and Gen 3 but there was a $50 difference on the price tag when I bought mine. I really thought it was going to be a hassle to use in hunting situations but at least for me that has not been the case. It has deployed easily and has provided an extremely steady rest when I needed it to.

Last edited:
@choprzrul I have the Gen 2 version and I love it. I don't know what the difference is between Gen 2 and Gen 3 but there was a $50 difference on the price tag when I bought mine. I really thought it was going to be a hassle to use in hunting situations but at least for me that has not been the case. It has deployed easily and has provided an extremely steady rest when I needed it to.
Yep. The way it lets you pull the trigger and those legs automatically adjust to uneven ground is great. 2020 I used a fixed bipod stick and it worked, but this is sooo much better. I just bought a rifle clamp for mine, so I don’t have to mess with picking up the rifle when the big stud walks out :)

Guess I'll throw a few pennies in this. I just saw that milk jug test, I find it absolutely laughable anyone would think this has anything that relates to long range hunting, it relates to road hunting at best.
I've never seen one of these challenges set up like a true hunting scenario like I would take a shot at range in.
When hunting NOT shooting is always an option, there is absolutely nothing saying you have to shoot!!
When hunting I pick the exact shot I want, if it's not prone with an excellent rear rest it's not a shot I want nor have to take.
I hunt my game a lot, I know where and how they move so I've done a lot of shooting in my hunting area so it's not showing up and doping a shot blind likely I have notes from years past on the air movement I each drainage.
When hunting the conditions dictate my shot, if the conditions, time frame and animal align then a shot might be considered, by the time Im shooting the conclusion is already writen!
I have no problems hunting or stalking, used to take guy out every weekend and archery kill elk, I've shot them so close the arrow hasn't clears the riser before hitting elk.
What lead me into harvesting many animals at longer ranges was putting as much effort and skill into the shot as I did the stalk and rest of the hunt, that by it's very nature extended my range, I was looking to perfect the killing part to the cleanest act possible, that completely changed how I hunt, I do all my hunting BEFORE I shoot!!

Well, you don’t have to do the challenge. Most of us guys don’t have the ability to know our hunt areas like that. For example, I hunt in Montana, but I live in Arkansas. When I’m hunting, it’s likely I’m seeing some of that hunt area for the very first time as I’m hunting it. Scouting is great when you can do it, but I’m very limited in that. I have family there that does some scouting, and has an idea where to go, but that’s not the same as me seeing it. So, a challenge like this, would tell someone like me where their true capabilities are. Very valuable for most of us. Also enjoyable for most of us.

Guess I'll throw a few pennies in this. I just saw that milk jug test, I find it absolutely laughable anyone would think this has anything that relates to long range hunting, it relates to road hunting at best.
I've never seen one of these challenges set up like a true hunting scenario like I would take a shot at range in.
You're one of the few folks I believe are legitimate LRH capable for the reasons you enumerated.

I think the test(s) is more for those that just believe they are. A kind of tempering the rhetoric with a small dose of reality.

Always good to hear your thoughts!

@Bigngreen so glad you chimed in! One of the spots I have in mind to set this up is coyote creek. If we head down to your neck of the woods I would very much like your help setting this up. My goal is not to give long range hunting a black eye. I fully agree that if a shot does not feel right in a hunting situation then the shot shouldn't or wouldn't be taken. That would most definitely be emphasized in the video. I do want to show that this stuff is not easy. When I was shooting competitive archery, periodically there would be a guy that would show up with a fat wallet and buy all the top of the line equipment and expect to be competitive. We called it buying a game. Those guys always faded away when their top of the line equipment didn't win them trophies. I think there is a large contingent of rifle hunters that have this same mentality. The Creedmoor guy with his Vortex scope or the full custom rifle guy with his Swarovski that think they can easily do this stuff. I want to show that just buying a game doesn't mean you have game. I also hope to show effectiveness of different types of equipment and rifle/ ammo combinations.

You're one of the few folks I believe are legitimate LRH capable for the reasons you enumerated.
Agreed.

To me, the hammer jug shooting exhibition is a wonderful opportunity for a few hammerheads to get together, put faces with names, shoot a little, fellowship and have a great time.
I agree with @Bigngreen 100 percent. Not shooting is an option. I love accurate rifles and known conditions. I hate the wind. If we show up at Steves jug shoot, and the wind is gusty and un predictable, I’ll gladly admit that I’ll miss and be out quickly. But I’ll still shoot,(it’s just jugs, and I drove 2000 miles).
If it were a real hunt, and the odds were against a perfect shot, Id get closer or wait until conditions were optimal.

Last edited:
@Bigngreen so glad you chimed in! One of the spots I have in mind to set this up is coyote creek. If we head down to your neck of the woods I would very much like your help setting this up. My goal is not to give long range hunting a black eye. I fully agree that if a shot does not feel right in a hunting situation then the shot shouldn't or wouldn't be taken. That would most definitely be emphasized in the video. I do want to show that this stuff is not easy. When I was shooting competitive archery, periodically there would be a guy that would show up with a fat wallet and buy all the top of the line equipment and expect to be competitive. We called it buying a game. Those guys always faded away when their top of the line equipment didn't win them trophies. I think there is a large contingent of rifle hunters that have this same mentality. The Creedmoor guy with his Vortex scope or the full custom rifle guy with his Swarovski that think they can easily do this stuff. I want to show that just buying a game doesn't mean you have game. I also hope to show effectiveness of different types of equipment and rifle/ ammo combinations.

Very well said Steve. There are some that think they have the latest, greatest can out do the Knowledge and experience of others.
Especially those with the 6.5 needmore.

The archery guy in me "screams in my ear" get closer you moron...😱

I am not a LR Hunter in sense I know I have a very comfortable yardage bracket that yields a high success ratio depending upon environmental conditions. The one thing about being archery hunter that a LOT of gun hunters do NOT have is the experience of passing shots due to distance, shot angles, environmental conditions that does bleed (😱😂) over into gun hunting IMO. This experience is huge because you understand more clearly why you need to pass the shot.

This is the first year I have been shooting critters varmints on neighbors farm. It has been rewarding getting shots downrange and even with wind calls using Hornady App with success. Helps immensely with confidence obviously and also smacks you along side of head when you miss at 4-500 yds with moderate wind call to show "you ain't hot 💩" afterall. Wind calls are humbling and add to your experience for future shots when you may have to consider pass instead of endings up with catastrophic result for animal.

I am setting up the jugs for next week since he is planting next couple days. Since I didn't buy a pallet of jugs, I am setting up video camera on tripod at close range, single cold bore shot per jug per cartridge I selected. So 4 jugs. I am ready to be humbled as well as hopeful my 1st LOS concept remains true.

Steve, I would very much like to see a shoot designed to educate and have a great time not turn into an internet gotcha.

I was not necessary referring to what your trying to put together but the backfire one, I get the point and it's a good one but then people start acting like it's the reality and it just not, in a long range hunting situation all I have to do is pick one perfect shot or move to make a shot available that I know is 100%.

Back