The Backfire Milk Jug Challenge. Quite the LRH Backfire!

BFD

Hammer Time Executive member
I won't clutter the post with youtube links, but the latest eye opener seems to be the challenge originally put forth by the Youtube channel "Backfire" with his "Milk Jug Challenge". The challenge was predicated upon all the LRH trash talk and internet LRH commandos boasting LR hunters are shooting critters out to a mile with regularity n such happy horse crap. The content creator sent out an invite to shoot milk jugs to 600yds without any restrictions on gun, gear, or positional restrictions. (Milk jugs were chosen due to relative vital dimensions match of a deer) Since the original challenge was presented by Backfire, numerous other content creators have followed suit with similar challenges, and to date, nobody has run the challenge clean to 600yds. So, now an F-class competition shooter, Eric Cortina, is going to take up the challenge.

So, it takes a competition shooter, with one of his rigs to accomplish even 600yds? Not 1600yds or even past 1000yds as many LRHers claim to hit animals with regularity. Geezo! I should think with how capable and effective LRH can be, it wouldn't take a pro shooter to accomplish a feat taking place in 1/3 the claimed target distances! as @JesseJ would say, "Boy Howdy!" :ROFLMAO:

There is a lot more to discuss on this, but I figured this is a good primer. What are ya'lls thoughts?

I won't clutter the post with youtube links, but the latest eye opener seems to be the challenge originally put forth by the Youtube channel "Backfire" with his "Milk Jug Challenge". The challenge was predicated upon all the LRH trash talk and internet LRH commandos boasting LR hunters are shooting critters out to a mile with regularity n such happy horse crap. The content creator sent out an invite to shoot milk jugs to 600yds without any restrictions on gun, gear, or positional restrictions. (Milk jugs were chosen due to relative vital dimensions match of a deer) Since the original challenge was presented by Backfire, numerous other content creators have followed suit with similar challenges, and to date, nobody has run the challenge clean to 600yds. So, now an F-class competition shooter, Eric Cortina, is going to take up the challenge.

So, it takes a competition shooter, with one of his rigs to accomplish even 600yds? Not 1600yds or even past 1000yds as many LRHers claim to hit animals with regularity. Geezo! I should think with how capable and effective LRH can be, it wouldn't take a pro shooter to accomplish a feat taking place in 1/3 the claimed target distances! as @JesseJ would say, "Boy Howdy!" :ROFLMAO:

There is a lot more to discuss on this, but I figured this is a good primer. What are ya'lls thoughts?
But whatever you do over there on that other forum, make sure you never question the ethics surrounding taking a shot at an animal at long distance....

I regularly have discussions with hunters that are looking for bullets that will perform at impact velocities below 1500 fps. Most of you know that we have used 1800 fps as our minimum. Now with most of the HHT line 1700 fps. We have never tried to see how low any particular bullet will perform as we consider our minimum to be a floor for clean kills. Below this is a personal choice and any hunter that is comfortable with using lower impact velocities for hunting should test their chosen bullet to make sure it does what they expect after impact. The easiest least expensive test is a single mill jug of water with a box of newspaper behind it to catch the bullet. Whether it is a 300y shot with one of the low horsepower straight wall cartridges or 1400y with a high performance cartridge, if you can't hit the jug, it's too far to hunt. Also I am suspect that many of the bullets advertised for very low velocity impacts are actually capable of working at such low velocities. After all how many people would actually test the bullet to verify? Pretty easy to make the claim.

So what is the challenge at 600y?

I regularly have discussions with hunters that are looking for bullets that will perform at impact velocities below 1500 fps. Most of you know that we have used 1800 fps as our minimum. Now with most of the HHT line 1700 fps. We have never tried to see how low any particular bullet will perform as we consider our minimum to be a floor for clean kills. Below this is a personal choice and any hunter that is comfortable with using lower impact velocities for hunting should test their chosen bullet to make sure it does what they expect after impact. The easiest least expensive test is a single mill jug of water with a box of newspaper behind it to catch the bullet. Whether it is a 300y shot with one of the low horsepower straight wall cartridges or 1400y with a high performance cartridge, if you can't hit the jug, it's too far to hunt. Also I am suspect that many of the bullets advertised for very low velocity impacts are actually capable of working at such low velocities. After all how many people would actually test the bullet to verify? Pretty easy to make the claim.

So what is the challenge at 600y?
100 jugs at various distances from 275 to 300, the challenge is to hit all 100, no one has succeeded yet and Cortina says he dont think he will either

100 jugs at various distances from 275 to 300, the challenge is to hit all 100, no one has succeeded yet and Cortina says he dont think he will either
The 100 jugs is and has been regarded in itself not indicative of a true "hunting challenge" so the number of jugs have been reduced to about 5-10 I've seen. Still, there are hunting guides, shooters, etc showing just how difficult it is making 100% hits on a jug to 600yds in the Western hunting conditions/wind conditions. My take on this is one shouldn't shoot at animals past the point where 100% hits can't be a reasonable guaranteed. (Calculating in the Murphy phenomenon)

100 shots on an 8" target at 300y. Every guy I know on the internet that has a 6.5 lb hunting rifle, dressed and ready to hunt, that shoots .25 moa at 1000y 'all day long', can do that no sweat! Hahaha!!!!
Welp this is the proof of concept ain't it! You'd think how the LRH masses type on the net that Backfire would of had a backlog of people showing up to prove this so successful LRH stuff. NOPE, they got one Marine poser who showed up and barely looked like he'd fired a gun prior to the video. Scope eyed himself on second shot...

Just this past November one of my group's cased rifle tipped over. We figured it prudent to recheck the zero even though it was in a padded case. Zero had shifted 12" to the right....plenty for a clean miss at 100. What I'm saying is even if the rifle and shooter are sub MOA capable at 600 yards, tiny changes in the equipment or environment become magnified the further one shoots in the field. IMHO it's not worth taking a chance of wounding any animal at great distance.

lancetkenyon over on LRH just did a 20 shot challenge and missed twice​

What I want to see is some of these shooters show up under some adversity/pressure/mental challenge one faces while actually hunting. I mean to say, not within the creature comforts of their own range, and where ultimately they have in the back of the mind the relieving comfort of just not airing their session if it went bad.

The Texas Plinking contest has also been demonstrating just how difficult it is to hit a 1 MOA target at 1000 yards. All kinds of shooters with all kinds of rifles constantly demonstrating (intended or not) that we have no business taking shots at game at that distance.

Unfortunately I've even run into youger guides who seem to think shooting at extended distances or adverse conditions (or both) is OK. Once had a fella mad at me because I refused to take a 400 yard shot in a 25 mph gusting cross wind.

What I want to see is some of these shooters show up under some adversity/pressure/mental challenge one faces while actually hunting. I mean to say, not within the creature comforts of their own range, and where ultimately they have in the back of the mind the relieving comfort of just not airing their session if it went bad.
It makes a huge difference

The Texas Plinking contest has also been demonstrating just how difficult it is to hit a 1 MOA target at 1000 yards. All kinds of shooters with all kinds of rifles constantly demonstrating (intended or not) that we have no business taking shots at game at that distance.

Unfortunately I've even run into youger guides who seem to think shooting at extended distances or adverse conditions (or both) is OK. Once had a fella mad at me because I refused to take a 400 yard shot in a 25 mph gusting cross wind.
I hear ya Mister Gold Coin ;)

I've been watching that one too. I am pretty stumped as to how horrible the majority of the performances are in that challenge. I even messaged the channel asking if the shooters are allowed to use standard LR equipment for the shoot. (Kestrel, ballistics app?) Some I don't even have to wonder though, because regardless the ballistic aids, their application or lack thereof shooting fundamentals are mind blowing. Like, even if one couldn't use the Kestrel and apps, he/she could at least get the 1000yd drop pre calculated from the hotel room for a drop with visible splash near the target...how many I've seen do a "No impact, no idea" out the gate...geez.

More than likely mediocres showing up to get their 5 mins of fame...like the no talent dopes showing up to The American Idol....

Back