The Backfire Milk Jug Challenge. Quite the LRH Backfire!

The kraken is telling me that “I” can absolutely shoot milk jugs at 600 100 percent of the time. But I’m arguing with the kraken that the damn wind won’t cooperate.

I have shot quite a few back to back to back 3” groups at 1000. Rifle weight of 12 lbs. but the wind allowed for a fart to be smelled for 10 minutes standing still.

I can do it.
I have several rifles that can do it.
But the conditions to do it are so rare, that id hafta have a permanent address on location so I could pick the day I’d do it.

The kraken is telling me that “I” can absolutely shoot milk jugs at 600 100 percent of the time. But I’m arguing with the kraken that the damn wind won’t cooperate.

I have shot quite a few back to back to back 3” groups at 1000. Rifle weight of 12 lbs. but the wind allowed for a fart to be smelled for 10 minutes standing still.

I can do it.
I have several rifles that can do it.
But the conditions to do it are so rare, that id hafta have a permanent address on location so I could pick the day I’d do it.
Bold words for a one eyed fat man

I learned my first Lesson on wind, shooting antelope in Wyoming. Comically strong cold front. Most people have no idea how far wind will push a bullet at distance.
That trip, I learned the wind is king. Your talent and equipment are no match. No matter how good you can shoot golf balls at 1000

I learned my first Lesson on wind, shooting antelope in Wyoming. Comically strong cold front. Most people have no idea how far wind will push a bullet at distance.
That trip, I learned the wind is king. Your talent and equipment are no match. No matter how good you can shoot golf balls at 1000
I've slept in the truck in Wyoming because it would have been impossible to set up a tent without para gliding to Colorado.

I went to hard sided camp trailers, but then saw bigger trailers rolling across the prairie. LOL!

The reaction from the LRH crew is pretty telling. Several are seriously slamming the Backfire guy for even challenging their niche in the hunting world but the results are eye opening...even for an LR nay sayer like me.
Hunting conditions are so much more challenging than range conditions, no honest person should be surprised with the results.
Pretty interesting stuff for sure.

Last edited:
The reaction from the LRH crew is pretty telling. Several are seriously slamming the Backfire guy for even challenging their niche in the hunting world but the results are eye opening...even for an LR nay sayer like me.
Hunting conditions are so much more challenging than range conditions, no honest person should not be surprised with the results.
There was a similar challenge last year I got called on a bit. Someone I respect, and we had a good conversation in messages.

They hate folks pointing that the membership thinks long range hunting is at least half as far as they do.

It's rare these folks post either hero shots, or necropsy photos. A couple do, but mostly terminal performance is not a polite subject.

There was a similar challenge last year I got called on a bit. Someone I respect, and we had a good conversation in messages.

They hate folks pointing that the membership thinks long range hunting is at least half as far as they do.

It's rare these folks post either hero shots, or necropsy photos. A couple do, but mostly terminal performance is not a polite subject.
Terminal performance reports are one of my favorite things here. Bench racing is fun and all.....but I want to see the timeslips....if you know what I mean.

I don't understand the fascination with >1000yd shots. At some point the goal is to be right beside the quarry you're after. In my opinion there is far too much, "I hope everything stays the same" in these >300yd shots.

Hunting conditions are so much more challenging than range conditions, no honest person should not be surprised with the results.

QUOTE="HARPERC, post: 34503, member: 74"]

[/QUOTE]

Gday LBH & carl
Usually the first sign of defence is attack
I’d love to set those guys up on our wallaby & Im pretty sure they wouldn’t get close to what level they portray

I like the way I think it was jrebel stated practice way further than you’ll hunt @ & then access the conditions & your level of mental switch on for the day also a consideration imo

Cheers

Saw some last night but not with Eric Cortina yet.
He’s probably got the wrong gear.
I bet some turd millennial keyboard warrior who just picked up his Creedmoor and Vortex scope is just waiting to say they can do it and the Creedmoor will blow everything else out the water and the creed moor is just getting warmed up at 600 where it leaves everything else for dead.

Sounds like a game for PRS shooters.
Peter, the Sout’ African might be in with a shot.

Saw some last night but not with Eric Cortina yet.
He’s probably got the wrong gear.
I bet some turd millennial keyboard warrior who just picked up his Creedmoor and Vortex scope is just waiting to say they can do it and the Creedmoor will blow everything else out the water and the creed moor is just getting warmed up at 600 where it leaves everything else for dead.

Sounds like a game for PRS shooters.
Peter, the Sout’ African might be in with a shot.
He’s gonna shoot an Aero Solus rifle… 6.5 Creed.😉

Back