The Backfire Milk Jug Challenge. Quite the LRH Backfire!

Are these shoots limited to " hunting" rifles? mtmuley
Initially there was no stipulation. I don't think there is still any stipulation, but the people recreating these challenges are gravitating to hunting rifles and total hunting rigs.

The South African guy, Peter, that runs the Impact Shooting channel is probably the best contender for this challenge. Although he is the exception and not the average Joe hunter. (Or the supposed long range hunter)

I've been watching that one too. I am pretty stumped as to how horrible the majority of the performances are in that challenge. I even messaged the channel asking if the shooters are allowed to use standard LR equipment for the shoot. (Kestrel, ballistics app?) Some I don't even have to wonder though, because regardless the ballistic aids, their application or lack thereof shooting fundamentals are mind blowing. Like, even if one couldn't use the Kestrel and apps, he/she could at least get the 1000yd drop pre calculated from the hotel room for a drop with visible splash near the target...how many I've seen do a "No impact, no idea" out the gate...geez.

More than likely mediocres showing up to get their 5 mins of fame...like the no talent dopes showing up to The American Idol....
Most people, myself included, think the same until they go try it out. It's a very nice but extremely tough course. You shoot from a sheltered location to a semi sheltered location but the 950 yards in the middle is wide open. No flags and no spotter (there is one small flag on the berm but in that semi sheltered cove it does no good at all and is best ignored). It's easy to think that after the first shot hits the dirt you should be on target with the second but with a usually intermittent wind it's tougher than one would think. Once again, if you can only reliably hit it on the second shot it re-enforces my "you have no business shooting game at this distance" theory. There have been of course more than a few folks showing up without actual long range firearms or the skills required but it seems more and actual long range shooters with adequate equipment are making the trip.

I intend to go one more time and try for high score. Come on down and go with me. We'll shoot some prairie dogs and maybe a doodad or two as well.

Most people, myself included, think the same until they go try it out. It's a very nice but extremely tough course. You shoot from a sheltered location to a semi sheltered location but the 950 yards in the middle is wide open. No flags and no spotter (there is one small flag on the berm but in that semi sheltered cove it does no good at all and is best ignored). It's easy to think that after the first shot hits the dirt you should be on target with the second but with a usually intermittent wind it's tougher than one would think. Once again, if you can only reliably hit it on the second shot it re-enforces my "you have no business shooting game at this distance" theory. There have been of course more than a few folks showing up without actual long range firearms or the skills required but it seems more and actual long range shooters with adequate equipment are making the trip.

I intend to go one more time and try for high score. Come on down and go with me. We'll shoot some prairie dogs and maybe a doodad or two as well.
That’s some valuable insight on the native intell you have on that range. In my Mr. Armchair LR judginess I did only specify drop dope and not wind. 🤣 Dudes sailing those shots over the berm n stuff…I could screw up the wind like a bad boy (I’ve seen me do it!) but could hold a broad waterline at that range, so I think! 🤔

Doodad shooting sounds fun! 🤩

Running or exercise to increase heartrate before the shot is a good idea but it doesnt need to be in every scenario. Many times Im hiking uphill and my heartrate is up when I see game or find a spot I want to glass. Many times Im rested too. Adding more variables to training isnt a bad idea, just mix it up.
I like seeing the milkjug challenge, anything to get people to practice more.

I read a little about this on LRH I think it was the 20 shots up to and including 600 yards. I think it’s an excellent idea and a much more realistic way to determine one’s abilities than to cite the best group at the farthest distance under the best conditions.

Edit, my confidence would fall apart well before 600….

Gday
Love this thread 👍
I’ve been extremely guilty of a look @ me ego shooting longrange in years gone by & today I just won’t do it as seen to many train wreck’s & guilty of some

Our wallaby are the best I’ve seen for bringing people back to earth on reality of what they can actually achieve

The only thing on milk jugs for a test media is they don’t move as critter behaviour is one that is quite often overlooked yet just as important as wind so TOF ( time of flight) has a huge bearing on the outcome once everything is taken into consideration but then the heartbeat or muppet moments are added to this

Yes I’m no good @ longrange & not worried @ admitting it

only seen a couple of guys I’d consider ethical longrange hunters part of this is caliber they choose to shoot & the conditions they consider to shoot in

But overall the vast majority of people self included can’t shoot consistently enough to consider long range hunting imo

But range & % of hits in the kill zone varies for ea individual & anyone in the 90 % plus range is a great shot in my books & one that is extremely hard to be consistent @

Jm2cw
Cheers

I practice to 800-1000 yards to make 500 and under easy. Anyone that consistently shoots long(er) ranges knows that once you break the 600 yard mark…..the variables are many and equal bad misses. In ideal conditions I would hunt to 600-700 yards, but the conditions have to be ideal. Add wind, canyons, steep up or down…..and I choose to get closer to every time.

It would be fun to try the milk jug challenge.

Back