The Backfire Milk Jug Challenge. Quite the LRH Backfire!

We still don't have a location. Land owner and number of people could be an issue.
This is just my 2 Pennie’s worth, all the above ideas are great but the original challenge of just hitting milk jugs from one position at various distance is gonna be a challenge all by itself no matter what position you are shooting from KISS is my recommendation

This is just my 2 Pennie’s worth, all the above ideas are great but the original challenge of just hitting milk jugs from one position at various distance is gonna be a challenge all by itself no matter what position you are shooting from KISS is my recommendation
LOL! Unless the course is ADA approved I won't shoot, Might just watch even at that. So there is me and my 2 pennies.

The old dynamite shoot structure worked for getting a lot of rounds down range: Shoot 2 and then, back of the line. This could be one to keep it cold bore. They also had minimal rifle class rules, not needed here.

They had benches, and pop can size targets.

I have been following this thread for a while. I hope this shoot takes place and love this type of a challenge. I like the thought of simulated hunting shots. Give a shooter a little room to pick a shooting location/rest. Let them pick what aid they want, typically taken on an hunt, and no bench shooting. I also like the idea of a time limit for each shot as it puts a little hunting pressure on the shooter and will help keep the shoot moving along.

The logistics of this shoot is definitely a hurdle. Getting enough gallon jugs of water to the locations and replenishing jugs as they’re shot will take a lot of time and manpower. Not to mention clean up. I’d say someone needs to be very efficient at setting up, managing the shoot, and especially managing safety if numerous shooters are on site.

I hope you all figure it out as I agree with all that effective ethical hunting distances can be visually seen here.

Kneedeep

@Steve Davis
Hmmm? Why not just steel? Much easier to manage and logistics same as steel targets.

IMG_4236.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmmm? Why not just steel? Much easier to manage and logistics same as steel targets.

View attachment 6817
Agreed. If I was managing the shoot, it would be steel targets for sure. No one down range, no time time to replace targets and a Lot less cleanup. Hang them loose as to see some movement if hit on the edge.

In a somewhat related shoot yesterday I had a young man her from Houston on the weekend who was interested in my 300 Warlock. We went shooting at 1K for his second time ever (his first time was unsuccessful). I drove to the target and gauged the wind right there (14.1 to 14.9). Drove back to the benches, got set up and his first shot missed just to the right. Initially I thought perhaps it was pilot error but he looked to have good form and trigger discipline. The second shot hit in the same place so I cut the wind in half. He then proceeded to hit it 4 times in a row with great vertical but about 15" horizontal spread due to the now gusting wind.

Just goes to show unless you have someone standing beside what you want to shoot at 1K and giving you live wind updates or absolutely dead calm conditions, you really have no business taking that shot at a live animal at this distance.

JM2C

100 shots on an 8" target at 300y. Every guy I know on the internet that has a 6.5 lb hunting rifle, dressed and ready to hunt, that shoots .25 moa at 1000y 'all day long', can do that no sweat! Hahaha!!!!
I don't like to go that far on vacation. Maybe we forgot what hunting is. Getting close to game is the hard part. A Whitetail at 25 yards and one at 300 are two very different animals. You need to use Hunting Skill, not just shooting skill.

Where’s the skill in purchasing thousands of dollars worth of scent blocking camo, scent masking products, and ozone machines? Not to mention sitting in a tree?
Speaking as one who has spent many an hour in a tree. You get a sudden gust of wind and you start talking to god real quick. In my state we have more Hunters die from falls than being shot. Thankfully we went to rifles about 10-15 years ago and Hunter shooting went way down. 42 years of working in a hospital and I have seen a handful of hunting accident involving a firearm. Many self inflected, but every year some dummy falls out of a tree. Broken ankles, legs, hips, arms, backs and skulls. We both live in different parts of the country. If I were to shoot 1000 yards. I would have shot across 2 roads and be on property I have no business being on.

I agree tree stands are dangerous. I use them from time to time depending on the circumstances.

My original point was one situation is no more unethical than the other. I didn’t even touch on the fact that some states allowing baiting. The level of technology that goes into hunting these days allows for many advantages compared to 50 years ago and it seems the hunting community in general is quick to judge what someone else considers ethical.

We as sportsmen have enough enemies in the anti groups. We don’t need to divide ourselves further.

Back