The Backfire Milk Jug Challenge. Quite the LRH Backfire!

Only problem I see with the team thing is isolating the teams from each other so they can't hear the wind and range calls. But unless guys are shooting the same rig it isn't exactly relevant. It would only take a few targets to figure out relevance of the others wind calls. I suspect some of the targets will be difficult to range too. So, I am leaning toward lone shooters with the group doing the spotting. It's not going to be a competition with score but more of an exercise in competent hunters finding the limitations of ability and equipment. I think we will limit this to 6 shooters. If can get through each shooting position in 15 min for all 6 shooters it will take 6.5 hrs to shoot 25 targets. Thats not leaving any time for transition to the next target.

Only problem I see with the team thing is isolating the teams from each other so they can't hear the wind and range calls. But unless guys are shooting the same rig it isn't exactly relevant. It would only take a few targets to figure out relevance of the others wind calls. I suspect some of the targets will be difficult to range too. So, I am leaning toward lone shooters with the group doing the spotting. It's not going to be a competition with score but more of an exercise in competent hunters finding the limitations of ability and equipment. I think we will limit this to 6 shooters. If can get through each shooting position in 15 min for all 6 shooters it will take 6.5 hrs to shoot 25 targets. Thats not leaving any time for transition to the next target.
I love it!

Your killing me Brother 😉
I know the feeling @ButterBean , I’m slowly working on my father to get a disabled hunter’s waiver to allow him to shoot from a motorized vehicle. 5 back surgeries and two joint replacements have really curbed his hunting opportunities. I have “built” two ultralight, low recoil rifles for him to keep him going even though he still wants to run the 270, 348 Win, and 35 Whelen.

We do what we must to keep Living. 🤘🤘

Thinking the separate shooting positions for each shot is too lofty a goal. Logistically I think 3 different shooting spots with multiple targets from 300 to 600y. Take a few shots and rotate shooters to let barrels cool.
Just set up 10 targets at various distances from a single location. At that location, have 5 different shooting setups:

Bench
Blind (seat and bipod inside the blind)
Tree stand (simulate tree swaying in the wind? :unsure: )
Field expedient (log?)
Tripod (prone, sitting, kneeling, standing....your choice)

Put an 8" Shoot-N-C on each of the 10 targets. Number the targets starting near to far. Shooter rolls dice to determine which target they start on. Shooter can use a range finder to determine distance to each target. Starting on the bench, the shooter puts 1 shot in each of the 10 targets. Repeat on the other 4 setups or until they have a miss. To simulate field conditions, a miss can be 'fixed' by a follow up shot within a few seconds. If the shooter misses the follow up shot, the exercise ends (get back in your truck and go home. Complain to all of your friends about how the scope must have gotten knocked around, dud round, gust of wind, etc).

Having chamber chillers on hand will really help keep barrels cooled and reduce the time between shots.

If all goes perfect, each of the 10 targets should have 5 shots in it when the shooter gets done.

Just set up 10 targets at various distances from a single location. At that location, have 5 different shooting setups:

Bench
Blind (seat and bipod inside the blind)
Tree stand (simulate tree swaying in the wind? :unsure: )
Field expedient (log?)
Tripod (prone, sitting, kneeling, standing....your choice)

Put an 8" Shoot-N-C on each of the 10 targets. Number the targets starting near to far. Shooter rolls dice to determine which target they start on. Shooter can use a range finder to determine distance to each target. Starting on the bench, the shooter puts 1 shot in each of the 10 targets. Repeat on the other 4 setups or until they have a miss. To simulate field conditions, a miss can be 'fixed' by a follow up shot within a few seconds. If the shooter misses the follow up shot, the exercise ends (get back in your truck and go home. Complain to all of your friends about how the scope must have gotten knocked around, dud round, gust of wind, etc).

Having chamber chillers on hand will really help keep barrels cooled and reduce the time between shots.

If all goes perfect, each of the 10 targets should have 5 shots in it when the shooter gets done.
I think we will stick with the milk jugs. They look great on video when hit!

I talked with Erin with Giving Back TV and we are planning to make this happen in June and make an episode. I think it would be fun to do teams. Shooter and caller. That is how Brian and I have always hunted long range. IMO it is how it should be done. Shooter only shoots and the caller has to make all the calls for range and wind. I still have no preconceived notion that I can hit everything. I would like to get a few guys together for this running a variety of equipment. I think filming this and getting it out is an eye opener for a lot of hunters.

Any of you want to join us? @mtmuley
No go for me. First Grandchild arriving right around that time. mtmuley

Back