The Backfire Milk Jug Challenge. Quite the LRH Backfire!

Steve, I would very much like to see a shoot designed to educate and have a great time not turn into an internet gotcha.

I was not necessary referring to what your trying to put together but the backfire one, I get the point and it's a good one but then people start acting like it's the reality and it just not, in a long range hunting situation all I have to do is pick one perfect shot or move to make a shot available that I know is 100%.
The one thing that totally gets me is the guy that has his .25 moa at 1000y all day, 6.5lb all dressed and ready to hunt rifle. Rifles that you can see your heart beat in are not 1000y rifles! Period. These guys should show up at the next 1000y benchrest comp and win it! We will probably try to have one of us shooting a rifle like this. I'm not afraid to be made fun of!

I was just on a holiday in Waterton National Park here in Alberta. My wife and I were on a hike, and we looked across a very steep valley and saw some mountain sheep on the other side. There was an old broomed off ram on the same level as us and he was just majestic on that cliff face. My wife said "I bet you wish you could take that guy". I thought about that for a long time and thought of 4 things. The first thing is I am not used to ranging in mountains, it felt like around 380-400 yards, but it might have been a lot more. The second thing was the wind was crazy. When we got into the open there were gusts that would make me physically take a step or I would get knocked over. The third thing was, if I got a kill shot the ram was going to fall a long way down and I wasn't sure how that would affect meat and the horns. The fourth thing was it was going to be an arduous task just to get to him to get him out of where he was at. I looked at my wife and said even if it was the last day I couldn't take that shot. He was beautiful to look at and the grace those sheep had on the rock face was amazing.

Yep. The way it lets you pull the trigger and those legs automatically adjust to uneven ground is great. 2020 I used a fixed bipod stick and it worked, but this is sooo much better. I just bought a rifle clamp for mine, so I don’t have to mess with picking up the rifle when the big stud walks out :)
That elk in my avatar was taken using a bog pod monopod. The shot was around 100yds and the reticle was swaying side to side because of the breezy conditions. It all worked out as he stood long enough for the wind to die down. I took an antelope and a mule deer with the same monopod and the same swaying sight picture. I moved to the tripod and have taken white tail, mule deer, antelope and a moose. It has been rock solid. I haven't had the device cost me a shot as I have blown the opportunities long before getting ready to set it up.

The one thing that totally gets me is the guy that has his .25 moa at 1000y all day, 6.5lb all dressed and ready to hunt rifle. Rifles that you can see your heart beat in are not 1000y rifles! Period. These guys should show up at the next 1000y benchrest comp and win it! We will probably try to have one of us shooting a rifle like this. I'm not afraid to be made fun of!
Ya, there is a lot of bluster on line, its not that it can't be done because it's been done plenty but if your going to shoot an ultra light gun and at distance it's a dedicated deal, just like bow hunting or elr, you spend a lot of time behind it till it's natural. I've built and shot two large magnums that were in the 6-8 lbs that in the right hands were elr hunting capable, they were purpose built and down to the hardware was driven by the purpose. Either of those guns would shoot with my BR gun for two or three, from there on they weren't built for.
The shooting is the easy part, it's the sitting for hours in a snow storm so you can see the wind and then take one or two shots to see how it's effecting the bullet so if a shot opportunity arises you have the knowledge, it's what make it enjoyable to me!

Ya, there is a lot of bluster on line, its not that it can't be done because it's been done plenty but if your going to shoot an ultra light gun and at distance it's a dedicated deal, just like bow hunting or elr, you spend a lot of time behind it till it's natural. I've built and shot two large magnums that were in the 6-8 lbs that in the right hands were elr hunting capable, they were purpose built and down to the hardware was driven by the purpose. Either of those guns would shoot with my BR gun for two or three, from there on they weren't built for.
The shooting is the easy part, it's the sitting for hours in a snow storm so you can see the wind and then take one or two shots to see how it's effecting the bullet so if a shot opportunity arises you have the knowledge, it's what make it enjoyable to me!
Pre shooting the conditions. I am not done with ever taking a long shot on game again, but I think I will want to use a sighter to get a read on the wind. This I believe is best way to not make a bad shot.

Gday guys been pondering this

Call me a party pooper but I don’t get it as all you lot are doing is following the leaders

That’s not the hammer way so my suggestion is get your act together & go get a place that needs some culling hogs or aoudad or whatever plentiful critters could be sourced

Yes move it to the next level yes the hammer way imo

Cheers

Not much in these parts any longer. Jack Rabbits, which seemed to be around by the thousands when I first moved to Wyoming in ‘85……are now virtually non-existent!

Prairie Dogs, are much the same except in a few locations…..most of the better locations appear to be on private property.

I may be incorrect……but that’s my take on our situation! memtb

Back