Velocity windows

I think I am now settled on what rifle I will be taking to New Mexico for our elk hunt this fall. 6.5 SAUM running the 118gr Hammer HHT. Should be able to get them running about 3700 fps. Big bull shoulder on the menu.
Steve,
That's a bit slow, but it might show you meat damage and shallow bubble if he's Very close😆. If he's any distance, your bullet will have slowed down closer to a better velocity range🤔

Do the original velocity brackets apply to the Shock Hammer/Power Hammer line as well as the HH line or do the brackets change slightly for those, too?

I'm curious if the larger hollow point affects this at all.

All I can find anywhere is this, which doesn't specify.

"The above velocity brackets are for traditional Hammers (Hunters and Absolutes). The velocity brackets for the new HHTs are going to be remarkably different, with much larger/wider velocity windows for good performance. Data and results are still being gathered for the HHTs.}"

Last edited:
The shock and power hammers are variations of the original Hammer Hunter line.
Based upon testing, they fit fairly well into the original velocity brackets.
You will find at higher velocities Shock Hammers tend to shed petals very quickly and the petals radiate out more laterally than following the shank forward. The shanks are virtually unstoppable - bone and all.
Power Hammers have thicker "lips" around the hollow points to make the nose more rounded. This causes them to open and shed petals slightly slower (deeper) in the animal. For 140 lb deer the bullet upsets at about the second lung lobe. For larger deer (with more resistance/mass) the bullet upsets and sheds petals in the mid-late first lobe of the lungs.
Both pills kill very well. You'll note a more rapid velocity loss with these pills due to the blunter nose and wide mouth. I've used both very successfully to 250+ yds.
One additional note: I've tested the 6.5 92gr PH to over 4k, impacts around 3800-3900. This little pill doesn't have enough shank weight to penetrate hard quartering shots through the left side paunch and get through the lungs up forward with ease. They kill deer just fine, but on the toughest test of a bullet (left side quartering through the paunch), expect a long run (100+ yds).

Thank you.

For very close ranges (i.e. whitetail at less than 50 yards), it sounds like both the SH and PH would be a good choice.

I love that Hammers don't just 'grenade' on impact at high speeds or just cleanly punch through. That's one of the things that sold me on them.
Now I sound like an evangelist - preaching the gospel of Hammer bullets and the virtues of light and fast.

Sigh....what have you guys done to me?
<smile>

Last edited:
Gday grumpy
The old velocity brackets basically apply to those lines & the hht is different & has a little more range between them

They do have subtle differences/variations between those lines but it’s a great guide on where your more likely to find the better killing pills

The part of understanding the triangle is one I can’t empathise enough as if you don’t follow that you’re eventually going to get a poor result & the brackets then become useless

The hht is a different beast & definitely doesn’t fit so imo needs to be put in it’s own category

GL wrote it better than me
Cheers

GL is the man;

A glossary to help us along in case anyone is scratching their heads on terminology.

(I miss @MeatBuck - he used to be ON IT with the links - haven't seen him in a while 🤷‍♂️)

One additional note: I've tested the 6.5 92gr PH to over 4k, impacts around 3800-3900. This little pill doesn't have enough shank weight to penetrate hard quartering shots through the left side paunch and get through the lungs up forward with ease. They kill deer just fine, but on the toughest test of a bullet (left side quartering through the paunch), expect a long run (100+ yds).
This little pill doesn't have enough energy to penetrate hard quartering shots through the left side paunch and get through the lungs up forward with ease.

This little pill doesn't have enough energy to penetrate hard quartering shots through the left side paunch and get through the lungs up forward with ease.
Yet I calculate almost 3000 ft lbs of energy.

By comparison Federal list their .30-06 200 grain Bear Claw, at 2865 fps, and only 2540 ft lbs.

Then Outdoor Life says all I need is a 1000 ft lbs.

So now I'm confused by what those numbers mean.;):eek::rolleyes::ninja:

Back