Vintage gunpowder

I had a pound and a half of H870 left when I heard about somebody who was using it but running out. I just gave it to him since there was not enough to fool with.

Anyway, Hammers need fast powders.

I collect old reloading supplies. Both those powders, though old....are not that old. The containers are what most collectors want, though unopened may add a little more. I would say 30-40 bucks per lb. because they are unopened. 15-20 w/out powder.

The really old powder in tin cans....with powder go for 120-200 dollars. If it's in really really good shape...more.

Here is a picture shortly after I started collecting. Still looking for an old Hoppes #9 cork bottle with original cork and in good shape. It really is just a fun way to spend money. It's like a scavenger hunt every time I go to an antique shop.

Attachments

• 00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO5k3eVjdWqiFg_hvhTKJ0sG.jpg
    00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO5k3eVjdWqiFg_hvhTKJ0sG.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I collect old reloading supplies. Both those powders, though old....are not that old. The containers are what most collectors want, though unopened may add a little more. I would say 30-40 bucks per lb. because they are unopened. 15-20 w/out powder.

The really old powder in tin cans....with powder go for 120-200 dollars. If it's in really really good shape...more.

Here is a picture shortly after I started collecting. Still looking for an old Hoppes #9 cork bottle with original cork and in good shape. It really is just a fun way to spend money. It's like a scavenger hunt every time I go to an antique shop.
Gday jrebel
I’ll send you some powder tins / bottles if you want as I highly doubt you guys have any adi ones

Powder not included sorry as can’t post powder here

Just pm your address if you would like them I’ll get a picture together but man alive I threw a few away around 12 months ago that were pretty old sorry
Cheers

Sounds like we should just use the powder. 4895 is pretty hard to come by. Probably get $100 a pound on gun broker!

Sounds like we should just use the powder. 4895 is pretty hard to come by. Probably get $100 a pound on gun broker!
If you have a use for it....that's what I would do, then sell the container. Problem with selling that older powder is the buyer doesn't know how it was stored so it is a gamble....as to whether or not it's still good. Powder will last a very long time if stored correctly. Powder doesn't like wet (usually very easy to identify with the old tin containers) or extremes in temperature (hot or cold). I store mine in a temp controlled room at between 65-70 degrees.

I'm really surprised that I was singled out (by old as dirt Muddy) for needing 4895. I've got a pretty 8 lb jug of the Improved Military Rifle version sitting under my bench.

Our (old as dirt) beloved Muddyboots could probably use some for his skinny ugly shooting light hammers.

Just sayin 🤓

Gday jrebel
Thanks for allowing me & others the pleasure of seeing your collection

Some stuff I’ve not seen in many years others never layed eyes on

Thanks for sharing & it’s guys like you that keep our memory lane moments occurring

your the stand up fella 😎
Cheers

Back