Vintage gunpowder

I've got 3 pounds of H870 from my dad when he got too old to shoot & reload. I wasn't familiar with it so I did some reading and came across this post while doing some googling: https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/h870-for-300-win-mag.4032504/

From Bruce Hodgdon:

"As the bullet weight is reduced, the H870 just doesn't burn as "clean" which is true for a lot of powders.

But, the H870 leaves a residue that can be extremely frustrating to remove from your bore. Scrubbing `till you are blue in the face doesn't cut it either. Fortunately Mr. Hodgdon passed along the tip of making a paste using "Bon Ami" kitchen cleanser and what ever your favorite bore cleaner happens to be. Use a patch wrapped around a brush, apply the paste, give the Bore 10 strokes, push through some clean patches and wash the residue out with a bit more bore cleaner. Lightly oil or grease your bore and you are rid of the residue."

Anyone experienced this? I had written this powder off based on this thread. Didn't seem like it was worth the risk given my other powder options.

H870 needs a lot of "back pressure" to burn efficently. That means a heavier bullet and plenty of barrel travel (26").
Not good for shorter barrels or lighter bullets. This is true of many/most of the very slow burners at the upper end of the burn charts..

H870 needs a lot of "back pressure" to burn efficently. That means a heavier bullet and plenty of barrel travel (26").
Not good for shorter barrels or lighter bullets. This is true of many/most of the very slow burners at the upper end of the burn charts..
I had the opportunity to purchase a hunderd pounds last year for 7$ a lb.

You know what they say about hindsight

Back