Weatherby 307

Thanks GL. My reason for asking is my brother is dead set on buying or building a lightweight mountain rifle with the MDT HNT26 chassis. Savage is making one with a 20” Proof carbon barrel that comes in under 6 pounds. It is not available to buy yet.
Weatherby has a 307 HNT 26 with a 24” fluted steel that comes in under 7 lbs. It IS available to buy.
buying these rifles will cut at least $500 off the cost of components to build something similar.

Thanks GL. My reason for asking is my brother is dead set on buying or building a lightweight mountain rifle with the MDT HNT26 chassis. Savage is making one with a 20” Proof carbon barrel that comes in under 6 pounds. It is not available to buy yet.
Weatherby has a 307 HNT 26 with a 24” fluted steel that comes in under 7 lbs. It IS available to buy.
buying these rifles will cut at least $500 off the cost of components to build something similar.
You can save at least a pound by getting the right scope and bases. I went with the Leupold aluminum rail and rings (not cheap) on the Savage Ultralight. Total weight with 3 rounds loaded and sling is 7 pounds 6 oz. I have a Leupold scope on it right now and am saving for a Swaroski that is a few ounces lighter. To me it is a head scratcher to see an ultralight rig with a steel base and rings and a scope that weights close to 2 pounds.

So I am not a western hunter. But I would like to do a western elk hunt one day. I can’t imagine a scenario in which it would not be guided through an outfitter.
How important is it to save those ounces? I know the ounces to pain axiom, but is the juice worth the squeeze for someone who isn’t climbing mountains with a rifle regularly, and having arthritis in my feet, it would suck to do so.

For once, someone please help me save some money! 🤣

with a medical condition in your feet a heavy rifle will have you in a lot of pain, plan on a lighter rifle and it does not have to cost a lot look at Tika in a 7mm mag and run 140 Hammer Hunters and a Leupold scope

So I am not a western hunter. But I would like to do a western elk hunt one day. I can’t imagine a scenario in which it would not be guided through an outfitter.
How important is it to save those ounces? I know the ounces to pain axiom, but is the juice worth the squeeze for someone who isn’t climbing mountains with a rifle regularly, and having arthritis in my feet, it would suck to do so.

If it is a guided hunt. Have part of the agreement that the guide carry the gun. It isn't that uncommon.

My A-bolt I took to Idaho weighs 8 1/2 lbs. My day pack with full bladder and all the “essentials” weighed close to 20 lbs. After 3 days climbing mountains, I felt them both in my back and shoulders more than my feet.
My experience is negligible, but I now believe every pound counts. I won’t stress over extra ounces in a rifle, but if I can save a pound, I’ll probably do it.

Back