What yardage for ladder load

Wheels

I have done my ladder loads for pressure at 100 yards and also 200 yards. What yardage do you all use when doing your initial ladder?

Pressure test 100 yards. If all bullets at 1gr charge intervals are under 1MOA (pretty standard). I pick one of the loads. Load 4 more and send them 200-500 yards, 1 shot each target. If bullet is splashing as predicted I'm good to go. If things get funky I then will play with crimp and seating depth. But I've only had that happen once with the 140Absolute Hammers out of my 280AI.

Our range has made it difficult to load work up longer than 100y now. I prefer 200y. I think I can learn more from the target during the ladder at 200. Farther makes it hard to see bullet impacts without going to the target.

Our range has made it difficult to load work up longer than 100y now. I prefer 200y. I think I can learn more from the target during the ladder at 200. Farther makes it hard to see bullet impacts without going to the target.
They have these things that bring the target to you! 🤣

IMG_3138.jpeg
500yds on this utility pole.
IMG_3139.jpeg
I’ll add that taking a pic through a spotting scope with phone camera is a chore!

I like 25 yds to make sure the skinny ugly hits the target. Figure I'd say it before @joe16 chimes in. 🤔😂

Otherwise, I prefer 100. I guess I have been lucky on accuracy so I run to pressure and back off 1-2 gr using bracket loads. One of three loads will usually jump out. I kind of like 100fps less than pressure as likely load. This seems to be where I end up that is good for brass life too.

Ladder / pressure test are run at 100 yards. After that, I like to take my 3-5 shot groups to 200 yards. I have yet to have a hammer that groups well at 100, not group well at further yardages. This is not true for cup and core bullets. I have seen cup and core bullets shot 1 MOA or better at 100 and open up to an unacceptable group at 200 and 300 yards.

Back