Yummy Berries

Hah! When I am mowing I stop for few min to get blackberry snack! I have some bushes just starting to mature that are the giant variety so waiting to see what they look like. My granddaughters like playing around bushes to sneak snacks as they call it.

My wife planted raised bed gardens 3yrs ago. She bought a variety of vegetables. It was like the movie, "Second Hand Lions" with everything being corn in the movie, but we got gooseberries. Two 4X8 raised bed gardens chock full of gooseberries. (Amazon Seeds) Well, the berries were actually pretty good, so we made jam out of them. Then they went viral and started up volunteer plants all over the yard and I spent quite some time eradicating them daggum things. I still crack up laughing making fun of her raised bed garden experiment!

I don't mean to steal the thread. I was working for a small company here in Canada and somehow we got a contract to do some inspection work on river crossing pipelines in Seattle, Washington. This was the early to mid 1990's. We were set up in this alley running our equipment and there was this massive bunch of blackberries hanging over a fence. The berries were so big and plentiful that the branches looked like they were going to break. I thought to myself, "what the hell." I walked around to the front door and knocked, and this nice elderly lady answered and I asked her if we could eat the berries in the alley. This lady could not have been any sweeter, she asked if we could pick here a couple of buckets of berries and that we could have whatever we could eat. I went back to my crew and told them the deal. My guys picked the buckets she had requested and actually went to the lady and asked here for a couple more buckets. I think at the end she had like 9 buckets of very nice berries and we were stuffed full of these delicious treats.
We ended up in that same alley a few days later checking some repair work that had been done on the pipeline. I douldn't find one of my crew guys and suddenly he showed up with 3 pies. The lady had noticed the van in her alley and flagged my guy down, and to say thanks for picking her berries she made us some pies. I just thought at the time here is 4 Canadian locusts eating this lady's berries and she made us pies too.
The guy on my crew that had the most interaction with this lady told me we should get a collection going and reimburse her for the pie ingredients. I thought that was a great idea so we put some money together and my guy got a card and we left it in a sealed envelope in her mailbox so she couldn't say no. Just a great memory that your picture of blackberries brought back to me.

I got rudely woke up this morning by a bunch of squawking magpies. Had to get out of bed and help my wife save our cherries. This is a small sample off our cherry tree. We had a real cold couple of days in June where it got to 4C over night and we lost about 20% of the cherries too 20230709_091730.jpg

Picked a pile of huckleberries, sister came up to visit, had her come help me pick. Then we made huckleberry daquiris and margaritas at my parents house. I may have over indulged. Some free range cattle came in through my parents gate, and i took my dog out to chase them off. Full sprint, faceplanted in the driveway and gave myself a black eye in the process. Good times. Hope my neices and nephew were properly impressedIMG_2418_copy_800x599_1.jpg

Picked a pile of huckleberries, sister came up to visit, had her come help me pick. Then we made huckleberry daquiris and margaritas at my parents house. I may have over indulged. Some free range cattle came in through my parents gate, and i took my dog out to chase them off. Full sprint, faceplanted in the driveway and gave myself a black eye in the process. Good times. Hope my neices and nephew were properly impressedView attachment 2414
Hucks are a definite improvement over Blackberries any day of the week. Just not as easy to get to.

Back