2023 Daily Hunt Reports

The weekend came with classic PNW rain and grey skies. We hunted Friday and Saturday and got soaked. We came home Sat evening after dark to dry out, since we will be back later this week. The focus this weekend was glassing clearcuts. On Friday the 13th, we saw 13 deer and got a laugh at that. We saw 6 on Saturday. The action happened fast and at distance so no positive IDs if there were any bucks all weekend except..., but there was one sneaky deer I just know had to be. Having been busted from afar previously, I slowly "pied" the ridge to glass down below, as the view barely came into view I saw nothing I waited still and nothing moving, distance was 1-150 yds. By eye I saw nothing so I decided to glass for ears or antler tips in the brushy area while still mostly hidden (or so I thought) and as I shouldered my rifle to switch to binos and that movement busted 3 deer which bolted a short distance to the timber, the 3rd deer cut left and disappeared... he stayed behind dropping into brush. I told my partner to glass, there's a buck thats hiding. Next thing we see him near the timberline edge for a split second bolting across the only brushless spot to the timberline... he crawled the clearcuts brush out of view. Another deer bolted the same manner right behind him making the total 4. They moved so fast I didn't identify any rack but those tactics are not does in my book. Would not have been able to make such a running shot anyways I need to continue to work on glassing without being seen. I have questions about this in the Blacktail Strategies thread...
1697399717892.jpeg

Got back out last Wednesday morning in a different spot after having downed trees block my route to camp Tuesday night.
Saw a spike harassing a doe and fawn that day but had road hunters messing around and spooked them off. One guy in a side by side drove right by me within a few feet as I sat roadside glassing. Never saw me. His handheld coors light can was a bit distracting I guess.

Thursday the wind was bad and I slept in knowing my buddy was coming up that evening and I wasn’t where I said I’d be since the trees were down. Had to go find cell service and get a new plan in place. Didn’t see any deer but decided on an area that I had been successful at in the past and met my buddy there evening time for a short glassing session.

Friday morning we saw bears, a sow with two cubs. We also glassed up two does way off in the distance. Made a decision to still hunt some timber on the way to another glassing point.
Nothing on the way there but not more than a minute into glassing the timber patch across the canyon I picked up a good buck. 25minutes later he was dead. His 270wsm and the 110g hh at 515yds was bad medicine.

Saturday we had a bad weather forecast. Was for cloudy all day. Not. Sunny most the day. Meat became a concern and cut our morning hunt short. We saw a doe that morning. Only turned up beef cows in the evening after creating a tarp shade for the meat and cape and getting back out.

Sunday was more of the same. Got all the meat down and in the ice chest before going for a walk but again no clouds so we got out of there midday to get the meat and cape home. Saw a doe and two fawns that morning.

Fingers crossed I can get my tag filled by Sunday, the close of our season for the year.

Last edited:
One last go.

Hunted Friday, no animal activity.

Saturday saw three deer and a bear. Missed him. Took an I’ll advised shot. 😑

Sunday was supposed to rain but didn’t. Was foggy for a good portion of the morning, saw 4 deer. One small buck chasing a doe. Too far to do anything about.

That’s a wrap for me for 2023 deer. Hopefully get back up after bear before it’s over. 🤞🏻

well my deer hunting is winding down to a close. The season ends Nov 10th but I have a nice elk tag to work on next week. I might go out for an evening hunt tomorrow but need to get my things together for the elk hunt we are leaving next week.

Recap, Ive seen more deer this year than ever so my strategies are improving. I spent 5 days camping last week and we glassed all does. So far Ive spent 10 days afield.
Last Sunday I went out solo to a spot Ive been hunting a nice buck for my second year now. Hes still there as Ive found his impressive rubs just last weekend. My trailcams show theres a small forked horn. I went back today solo and found a new rub, very small and very low to the ground so perhaps a young spike. This is all deep dark north coastal timber, heavy brush mixed with "open" sword fern bowls and slopes. Today I spent glassing the slopes, and still hunting a trail I can move silent on. Moving at a snail pace I came within 20yds of two does foraging and bedding without spooking them. Only when I moved to take a picture did they notice and walk away... didnt go far and went back to foraging. It was a fun experience... but never a buck.

Theres two in this pic...
20231027_153358.jpg

Back