210 gr 338 HHT

Gday a update on this pill & @Reemtyj got his bear & I’ll let reemtyj tell it as it was/happened phenomenal I was hanging on every word
The pill I’ll also let him tell what happened but it’s good ( phew ) & kneedeep needs to be thanked also here

He did extremely well & we must thank guys like reemtyj & the chat I had with him is priceless for me personally & can’t thank him enough as I’ve learnt so much more on these big bears
Yep They are a different beast

So I await the report from reemtyj & thanks again mate im privileged to rub shoulders with guys like you
Cheers 🍻

I’ll be home tomorrow nite, it will take me a while to type details all positive, Kneedeep was right on a couple things, he is another one if many sharp assets to us Hammer folks!!! I was gifted and blessed with a large boar 9’8” with no tail, a tail would have gotten him to 9’10” maybe 9’11” close to the grail of 10’. Skull is 27 10/16” green B&C is 28” so a solid bear in my thinking. That 210HHT in that 338RUM is a hammer on big bears. The load was 95 grains imr7828ssc and it was too hot @ 3462 fps ( Mike was right) I would go with 88 grains H4350 next @ 3325 fps, brass showing pressure signs more so than in Montana, no idea why. I figured out my pressure problem……carbon ring build up, working on it now to an alleviate the problem!

Attachments

• IMG_2227.jpeg
    IMG_2227.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2221.jpeg
    IMG_2221.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2214.jpeg
    IMG_2214.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2196.jpeg
    IMG_2196.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I’ll be home tomorrow nite, it will take me a while to type details all positive, Kneedeep was right on a couple things, he is another one if many sharp assets to us Hammer folks!!! I was gifted and blessed with a large boar 9’8” with no tail, a tail would have gotten him to 9’10” maybe 9’11” close to the grail of 10’. Skull is 27 10/16” green B&C is 28” so a solid bear in my thinking. That 210HHT in that 338RUM is a hammer on big bears. The load was 95 grains imr7828ssc and it was too hot @ 3462 fps ( Mike was right) I would go with 88 grains H4350 next @ 3325 fps, brass showing pressure signs more so than in Montana, no idea why.
Ho-Lee-Smokes! That is fandamntastic! What a trophy!

The Hunt/ Shooting part, Brad I would like to keep it in this thread as it is the 210hht. 1st day we sat on a knob on a short peninsula that allowed us to see 1 1/2 miles both ways, saw 5 bears in 13-14 hours 9’ rubbed boar, 8’ rubbed boar, 7’ sow and 2 others we couldn’t get a good look at so we hiked a mile or more to our left before dark to see those 2 bears, one disappeared and the other was rubbed bad but we were able to get within 60 yards and take photos. On the way back we cut tracks of a large boar some 2 days old some less than 24 hours, here is the track, that is a size 12 boot track and a 338rum bullet 3.6” long next to the boars track

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpeg
    12.1 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
My guide said that boar is more than likely still here, so next day he got us there earlier just getting light and we set up looking over this beaver pond and brush covered mtn. I started in with high pitched hand call on and off for 5 min or so, nothing. We had a right to left west wind and a minute or so later Clay says there’s a bear east of us on the beach 1/2 mile away, we look close and can tell it’s that large boar but wind would be at our backs so we get in zodiac and go way out in the bay and hook around to get ahead of him. In the mean time he gets to the grass flat and runs into that rubbed 8’er from last night and chases him into the brush which buys us time. We beach zodiac and sneak in down wind up the beach slope and up the grass flat slope and peak over and he is 220 yards away walking towards usπŸ˜³πŸ‘ we move a little higher to get clear shot and bear spots the movement and stops at 178 yards, head up quartering towards us. I lean rifle on guides pack, turn scope up to 10 power, 3 clicks on scope to move 100 yard zero to 200 yards, cross hairs on bears left shoulder/ chest and πŸ”₯ bullet goes thru front shoulder muscle into forward rib cage pulverizes lungs and exits back right rib cage, tape says 41-42” penetration, finger in entry wound finds a hole the size of my fist thru the shoulder muscle😳. Guide said the water flew off the bear on impact and he could tell he was dead on his feet, but the bear turned and ran towards the brush, second volley on a left quartering away Bear entered his back left rib cage, large entry hole on the raking shot 4 ribs chewed up, 2 petals found inside, bullet goes thru the lungs again out the front right part of the rib cage thru the length of his neck and stops behind his right ear. Effect on the bear cartwheeled/ knocked flat, I could see it, like WOW. He laid there flopping his legs so I shot again could not see his body well but ended up shooting thru his heel, shot was not necessary! πŸ™„πŸ™„ now comes the dissection and shooting the carcass for bullet tests for Dr. KaPOWπŸ’₯from Tas-dam-mania!

Attachments

• IMG_2242.jpeg
    IMG_2242.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
So my guide starts in on skinning and that takes a while and then we set up carcass and I pretend to be Farleg πŸ™„πŸ˜³πŸ˜‚ two shots thru shoulder, 50 yards away, 1 I missed the bone second I hit shoulder blade, both went into off shoulder but I could not find them or exit hole, 1 in pelvis going forward broke pelvis went into intestines and appeared to make the lungs 🫁 but could not find it! I have a new respect for Farleg dissecting abilities!!!! All we had were havilon knives so we could not split rib cage so it limited our abilities. When the guide dumped the guts out he commented β€œ who the F*** is this guy from Tasmania and why does he want us doing this” ? He said I have never gutted a brown bear and I am not doing it again. Another comment he made was in 85 Grizz/brown bear kills he has never seen bullet destruction like this!πŸ‘πŸ€πŸ’₯ here is the gentleman Clay Roberts

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpeg
    IMG_2187.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Kneedeep, ol wise one from who flung the chunk! An ol Sackett phrase from Louis Lamoure ❀️ you were spot on with two things, 1st I should not have used imr7828ssc as it was too hot and showed excess pressure on the hunt, 2nd the raking shot entry hole was large, like you predicted but still penetrated 42” of bear and sh$t canned him! Your wisdom has proven true! Another thing is you cannot believe how hard the front end of these boars are and the huge muscle, a lot harder than a blackie! I would definitely use this bullet on bears, it is very potent! And I would like to thank Steve, Brian and the Brettmiester aka β€œ who the F$$$ is the guy in Tasmania? πŸ˜³πŸ™„πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ fir getting me these bullets in time for the hunt πŸ€πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸΊ I look forward to more use of a great product! I am sure I have forgot something but if so I’ll edit some more.

Last edited:
Kneedeep, ol wise one from who flung the chunk! An ol Sackett phrase from Louis Lamoure ❀️ you were spot on with two things, 1st I should not have used imr7828ssc as it was too hot and showed excess pressure , 2nd the raking shot entry hole was large, like you predicted but still penetrated 42” of bear and sh$t canned him! Your wisdom has proven true! Another thing is you cannot believe how hard the front end of these boars are and the huge muscle, a lot harder than a blackie! I would definitely use this bullet on bears, it is very potent! And I would like to thank Steve, Brian and the Brettmiester aka β€œ who the F$$$ is the guy in Tasmania? πŸ˜³πŸ™„πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ fir getting me these bullets in time for the hunt πŸ€πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸΊ I look forward to more use of a great product! I am sure I have forgot something but if so I’ll edit some more.
Congrats Brother

Gday reemtyj
I’m glad those wallaby showed us how good of a pill this was going to be 😎 the next part is the new tips on how they alter this pill

I think that who the F$$$ is this guy in Tasmania may just stick with a little tweaking from me of course 🀣

Congrats again 🀝
it was one of my most memorable calls
Thankyou for so much information but it was in your voice which said way more πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž

Signing off from the Fβ€”king guy from Tasmania 😜

Cheers 🍻

That was some expensive but priceless information right there, and more is on the way!
If I'm understanding this right, additional shots were taken through different body portions on the bear just to evaluate bullet performance, wound characteristics and penetration. I'm sure much more is to comeπŸ˜€.
Hat's off and thank you @Reemtyj and @kneedeep !!!!!

Last edited:
I do believe this is the best hunt story I've seen on a forum! Feeling like I was right there with you as you described the hunt, and then of course busting out laughing when you guys ran some Farleg/Kneedeep-esque terminal ballistics testing on location of the hunt! That's an awesome guide to play along too! I can easily see some guides tell you to pound sand. LOL. Success was engineered all the way through this entire hunt, to include the preparation! You certainly gave credit where it was due and the joy of your hunt can be shared by many!

Seems like this Farleg, Kneedeep fellers know a thing or two about a thing or two! :ROFLMAO:

(BTW, I was only suggesting a new thread so Bear Hunt could be easily searched and this gem not hidden in another thread, but I definitely get your reasoning)

Back