308 WIN 154 HHT Range Report

Sorry about that. 308 is the only one I have, 16" barrel, 1-10" twist, Christensen Arms MPR, with TBAC Dominus SR silencer.

30-06 is a stock Tikka T3. 22" barrel, 1-11" twist.

Addition: Brass is 1x fired Nosler for 30-06.

@gltaylor - is it best to post load data in the "share your load" thread? I don't want to duplicate data and/or effort. Thanks for compiling all the info, we all owe you a big thank you!

Last edited:
Update -

308 154 HHT with 43.5 gr of 4166, CCI 200, 2.800, 2x Nosler brass, 1/2T
- err

No pressure signs, just under MOA. Avg 2608 fps.

And TAC:
154 HHT, 42.5 gr TAC, 215M, new Lapua brass, 2.800, 1/2T
Avg 2640 fps, no pressure, just greater than MOA.

154 HHT, 43 gr TAC, 215M, new Lapua brass, 2.800, 1/2T
Avg 2658 fps, no pressure, also just greater than MOA.

The 4166 has greater case fill than TAC. It's also advertised as "insensitive to temperature change." Any reason to choose one over the other?
Sorry if you addressed this earlier, but why aren’t you pushing the TAC? 44? 45? Etc.?

Sorry if you addressed this earlier, but why aren’t you pushing the TAC? 44? 45? Etc.?
@LightTheTower - I tried up to 44 grains of TAC (to replicate BFD's load), and got 2715 fps. That would be ~2900 fps out of a 24" barrel, and I was getting some ejector marks/swipes. This rifle has never been able to shoot the book max loads in the 46-47 grain range (except for the absolutes).

As an aside, my best load with the 151AH was 46.9 gr of TAC at 2825 fps. Went up to 49 gr for 2923 fps, but that was pretty hot so I backed off.

I shot a few more 154 HHT's, this time using 43 gr of TAC and CCI200 primers. Got about MOA at 2625 fps. I haven't really ever gotten much better groups than that out of this rifle, so I might just settle there.

One question - I had a primer not go off on one of my shots, which has never happened to me before. I let it sit a bit and tried it again, and it went boom. Below is the picture of the primer strike after it didn't go off. And you can see in the other picture how the primer strike is a little bigger from getting hit by the firing pin twice (it's the case on the right). If I squint and use my imagination, maybe the primer face is slightly more recessed than the rest of my rounds. You think this is just a primer pocket is a little deeper than the rest? I didn't do anything to the brass before reloading, I took it straight from the box.

Attachments

• IMG_8428.jpg
    IMG_8428.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8417.jpg
    IMG_8417.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
Is there a way to measure that? Do I just throw that piece of brass away?

Great, now one more thing to think about - primer seating depth.
Gday disco
Here’s another way
Nail polish & seat primer to depth / feel
No need to throw brass away then
The nail polish fills the void left below the primer directing the flame into the flash hole ( don’t use to much , a cotton bud & small smear alls that’s need & waterproofs your bullets as a bonus 😇
But if your after precision your asking the wrong muppet & I’ll get back in my box 😜
Cheers

Is there a way to measure that? Do I just throw that piece of brass away?

Great, now one more thing to think about - primer seating depth.
Could be the CCI brand. My Fed and WIN have never sat that deep in a Lapua 308 case. Let’s say you seat them shallower, but won’t they go deeper with firing pin force?

Measure the CCI thickness with your calipers. Let me know.

Edited: forgot to add the barrel length…

I decided to jump on the bandwagon and run a few through my old Rem 700, 24”, 12 twist, just to see what they would do. Test group used LC15 brass, WLR primers, and TAC

Charge FPS
42 gr 2677
43 gr 2706
44 gr 2791
45 gr 2800
46 gr 2940
47 gr 2990 - Compressed load, Light bolt resistance, flattened & cratered primer

Running the 46 gr load through JBM at sea level, it barely crosses the stability line at 1.529 and stays above 1800 fps to 550 yds.
Running the same load at my local altitude & STP, it shows a SF of 1.649 and holds 1800+ to 700 yds.

I think it's definitely time to retire this old barrel and spin them a little faster. I've got a Savage Aixs with a 10 twist, so I guess I'll run a few through it next to see what I get.

Last edited:
What primer tool do you use? My FA hand primer has adjustable depth… I seat one shallow, check depth with a straight edge, then seat deeper until primer is just below the (face?) of the head.
I use a Lyman hand held priming tool. I don’t think there’s a way to adjust for depth on mine other than how hard I squeeze the handle.

What primer tool do you use? My FA hand primer has adjustable depth… I seat one shallow, check depth with a straight edge, then seat deeper until primer is just below the (face?) of the head.
I use a Lyman hand held priming tool. I don’t think there’s a way to adjust for depth on mine other than how hard I squeeze the handle.
Could be the CCI brand. My Fed and WIN have never sat that deep in a Lapua 308 case. Let’s say you seat them shallower, but won’t they go deeper with firing pin force?

Measure the CCI thickness with your calipers. Let me know.
My CCI200 primers measure 0.125” thick.

My CCI200 primers measure 0.125” thick.
The knurled portion sets depth by clicks. I set my primers just deep enough my thumbnail catches the side of the primer pocket. Yeah real science, but it works.
IMG_0147.jpeg
IMG_0149.jpeg
My CCI 34 primers are 1.275, just FYI

Thanks @BFD, my Lyman priming tool doesn't have any fancy knurled parts or any way to adjust the seating depth as far as I can tell. Something else to put on my wish list!

@Farleg - do you smear a little bit of nail polish on the rim of the primer pocket? I assume there's no way to tell if some gets into the primer or covers the flash hole?

Attachments

• IMG_8432.jpg
    IMG_8432.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
I am still using the RCBS priming tool but do not use the tube feed after seeing multiple primer ignition accidents. So one at a time and no big deal for me.

Back