308 WIN 154 HHT Range Report

I am still using the RCBS priming tool but do not use the tube feed after seeing multiple primer ignition accidents. So one at a time and no big deal for me.
I still don't understand how that happens, but explains why the new turret press comes with a blast tube or whatever ever they call it.

I use a Sinclair single primer tool.
It's wonderfully machined, has excellent leverage and feel and is infinitely adjustable.
They're probably a bit pricier now (had mine for years), but worth every penny.

Reactions: BFD
Fellas

Need a little help it's been some time since I've played with a 308 and I definitely have no experience with a Christianson Arms.

20230705_194514.jpg20230705_194746.jpg

My son's buddy Chad bought this at a Sportsman's convention. He was lucky enough to take a drink at the most inopportune time and bought this 308 in doing so.🥴

I've seen the pictures of the Target😳 It shoots patterns. Initial inspection shows scope and Rings all seem pretty tight. It was a complete package when he brought it home. It has a Leupold scope on it. I'm thinking this is not the issue, time will tell.

I'm looking for a little help and seeing if anybody else has had this problem. I'm going to clean the snot out of it and make sure it's clean. I'm also going to make a half a dozen or so of bullets with 42 grains of IMR 4895 under a 175 grain smk. (Nat. Match load). I have 137's 135s 130s 154s 163s 168s 120s 100s 101s and 103s oh yeah don't forget the 199s too🤷 Sue me, I like hammers. What I'm looking for is a Surefire crack load (2650 type) that you would feel safe to put in any firearm as that national match load I listed above. I know that works (really akrite) in most rifles. If it won't, it's a rifle issue. Looking for a load boys. Not interested in doing a powder column at this point, just trying to get something close right now. All The Brass I have available is what you see in the picture. About 10 of each unfired and 10 once fired. I gave all my 308 brass to my son's other friend Tito back at Christmas.

I did notice that this rifle is in a very nice stock, the action seems smooth and it has a skinny barrel coupled with a very generous Barrel Channel. I'm going to build enough of the SMK load to try tip pressure also. Got a feeling that this thing just needs to be tamed down a little bit. Ben wrapping my brain around this idea the last couple months. Going to try different diameter thickness viton O-rings. Going to slide one down about where the sling swivel stud is. They (O-ring) shouldn't deteriorate and they should maintain the same amount of pressure on the barrel for a quick test( maybe permanent). I'm thinking they should give me an indication if tip pressure could be of some help. If that makes any sense. Sorta like that Deresonator thingy that people slide up and down their Barrel.

I'm not a fan of free floating ALL of my barrels. I feel some rifles just shoot better with the correct amount of tip pressure, you just got to find it...

Thoughts, comments, laughs??

This place is awesome and you 308 boys are under the gun.

Joe

No comment on the gun plumbing. I stopped making suggestions online about a gun I don't have in hand to suss out.
The loads:

42gr:
IMR4895
Varget
IMR4064
N540
N140

Ought get something done with any of those.

Thank you and I don't blame you. I was kind of hoping somebody would come on here and say yeah I had one and it shot like crap or I had one and I did this. A blanket swag is tough. I was looking more for experience.

SWAG. Scientific Wild A$$ Guess

Thank you

Joe

Joe - I personally wouldn't go over the 137HH. I didn't see the 124 HH listed on your inventory. I like 45 grains of H4895 with the 137HH crimped into the top groove. A very accurate load in two of my three 308's. I have not tried it in my 3rd. I'd say the 137HH is such a tried and trued bullet, it is hard to beat at the 308 power level. So there is my SWAG! Oh tell the guy to not be so cheap and buy you couple of factory loaded boxes of ammo to get a baseline and brass to work with!

I wonder how the 150 power Hammer would fly?
Great question Julio!!

If you count the dummy round that I have made up in 300 rum I've got 16 150 power hammers. I've never shot N540 and I acquired with the help of a buddy on here a couple pounds. I'm going to go ahead and spin up 4 of the 150 shock hammers with 42 grains of N540. Crimp them pretty tight in the top Valley (1/2) and let the fat lady sing. Going to also do 4 with benchmark with 42 grains blasi blasi blasi.

Y'all didn't think I was going to leave that poor boy hanging did you? I thought y'all knew me better than that. (Just ribbin you Les) I'm going to jump down in that hole and help him out. Those loaded hammers on the left are 124s already made for another rifle. I wouldn't dare pull the trigger on one of those even though I made them. But I do have 20 once fired Federal cases.👍 they were donated by my buddy Frankie, he just doesn't know it yet😳

Attachments

• 20230706_193112.jpg
    20230706_193112.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Great question Julio!!

If you count the dummy round that I have made up in 300 rum I've got 16 150 power hammers. I've never shot N540 and I acquired with the help of a buddy on here a couple pounds. I'm going to go ahead and spin up 4 of the 150 shock hammers with 42 grains of N540. Crimp them pretty tight in the top Valley (1/2) and let the fat lady sing. Going to also do 4 with benchmark with 42 grains blasi blasi blasi.

Y'all didn't think I was going to leave that poor boy hanging did you? I thought y'all knew me better than that. (Just ribbin you Les) I'm going to jump down in that hole and help him out. Those loaded hammers on the left are 124s already made for another rifle. I wouldn't dare pull the trigger on one of those even though I made them. But I do have 20 once fired Federal cases.👍 they were donated by my buddy Frankie, he just doesn't know it yet😳
THIS doesn’t sound like
This:
“I'm looking for is a Surefire crack load (2650 type) that you would feel safe to put in any firearm as that national match load I listed above.”😉

Sure it does. Velocity should be somewhere around 2600 to 2650 I'm guessing anyway. Add in PDR bands and a mild charge of 42 grains of what ever and that should be safe to shoot in any rifle.

Well if I need a string I'll use a string and will admit my only loading experience with a 308 is 42 grains of IMR 4895 under 175 smk at 2640 out of a 20 inch barrels. Actually we ran them as high as 44 grains but it gets wonky when it's hot out here in Florida. 42 grains should be fine. It's a really accurate target load for a really accurate target cartridge oooh, I didn't say that did I.

The only one that gives me any concern is The Benchmark load. It's faster burning then the other two powders. But we'll see, I trust the source that gave it to me.

This place is awesome.

Great question Julio!!

I've never shot N540 and I acquired with the help of a buddy on here a couple pounds.
In my 308 loads: 155-168gr
N540 is 1gr faster than Varget.
IMR4895 is 1gr slower than Varget.
IMR4064 is 2gr faster than Varget.

150s I get more speed out of IMR4895 and AA2520 44-44.5gr
168s Varget gets it done 43-43.5.

YMMV!

I think it's wonderful you can test the power Hammers for me and be of practical use for once! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back