Announcing the New Hammer HHT

Range report!

Stretched out the 163HHT's to ~790 yds this morning.

G7 BC of 2.34 is pretty dang close to actual with this rifle. Might be as low as 0.230 or up to 0.240.

If I wasn't on the ragged edge of what my poor little range finder can reach to I'd be able to narrow that down further. BUT plenty close enough for my needs!

The 56.0 gr of Varget is holding under 1/2 MOA elevation at distance. Had fairly variable winds sliding down the canyon that definitely added to the horizontal spread, but reasonable and expected.

I'm working up a reamer for a custom 7mm (because I'm crazy) based around the 169gr HH. With the new 170 HHT out, where does the ogive stand in comparison between the two? I noticed that the 170 HHT is ~0.1" longer. Are there plans for a HHT in the 155-160gr range?

Nice!! I believe you were trying these in 300SAUM? Do you have MV?

Yep!

Here' I'll put all the details up:

Tikka 300 SAUM (SAAMI reamer)
Preferred Barrel, 24" with 9 twist (verified).
2x fired R-P Brass, Neck turned & trimmed
163 HHT
56.0 gr Varget
3.045" COAL
~3085 fps MV
1/8 turn crimp with Lee FCD
0.230 - 0.240 G7 BC based on drops
~790 yds (saw ranges between 785 & 800, so hence variability on G7 BC)
2-6 mph cross wind. variable in intensity and location in canyon where shooting.

~3" vertical spread, ~10" horizontal spread on warm bore (variable 2-6 mph cross wind). (seeing potential POI change on cold bore. Jury is still out if its cold bore, wind gust or shooter induced!)

Yep!

Here' I'll put all the details up:

Tikka 300 SAUM (SAAMI reamer)
Preferred Barrel, 24" with 9 twist (verified).
2x fired R-P Brass, Neck turned & trimmed
163 HHT
56.0 gr Varget
3.045" COAL
~3085 fps MV
1/8 turn crimp with Lee FCD
0.230 - 0.240 G7 BC based on drops
~790 yds (saw ranges between 785 & 800, so hence variability on G7 BC)
2-6 mph cross wind. variable in intensity and location in canyon where shooting.

~3" vertical spread, ~10" horizontal spread on warm bore (variable 2-6 mph cross wind). (seeing potential POI change on cold bore. Jury is still out if its cold bore, wind gust or shooter induced!)
Jeremy,

What magazine and bolt stop are you running for the SAUM in the Tikka? Are you running it as a short action, or a long?

Jeremy,

What magazine and bolt stop are you running for the SAUM in the Tikka? Are you running it as a short action, or a long?
Long action bolt stop with standard LA magazine.

On that topic, of the 3 LA mags I have, only 1 is wide enough (internally) to fit the SAUM well. The other 2 are a bit too snug side-to-side internally and won't feed. The only difference between the mags is the one that works came with the rifle that I put the SAUM barrel on, which was originally a 300 WM.

Back