Announcing the New Hammer HHT

Long action bolt stop with standard LA magazine.

On that topic, of the 3 LA mags I have, only 1 is wide enough (internally) to fit the SAUM well. The other 2 are a bit too snug side-to-side internally and won't feed. The only difference between the mags is the one that works came with the rifle that I put the SAUM barrel on, which was originally a 300 WM.
Good to know! I'm currently running a T3 in 300WM.

So I haven't had time to get to range for 300WSM and 154HHT's yet. Normally I shoot in back of property BUT the recent crop of fawns are staying tight near house soooo no shooting until they start to move off property. And no, I don't have a CHOICE in this.
Mama has spoken! (The Real Boss.)
Same here Muddy....but haven't seen many fawns yet? Damn coyotes
Muddy and gl measuring shoe size.

I'm thinking about switching my X-Bolt 30-06 from 168gr Speer Gold Dots (2842 fps) to the 154gr HHT.....but I'm kinda torn between the 151 AH and the 154 HHT. I really like the speeds the Absolutes give us....but I also like the higher BC for less wind drift.

So...my question: If I could get something like 3150 fps out of the 151 AH, should I expect to see the same speed with the 154 HHT? If not, how much less will the 154 be (or more??? ) ?

Next question....which powder(s) should I be leaning towards for either the 151 or the 154?

I'm thinking about switching my X-Bolt 30-06 from 168gr Speer Gold Dots (2842 fps) to the 154gr HHT.....but I'm kinda torn between the 151 AH and the 154 HHT. I really like the speeds the Absolutes give us....but I also like the higher BC for less wind drift.

So...my question: If I could get something like 3150 fps out of the 151 AH, should I expect to see the same speed with the 154 HHT? If not, how much less will the 154 be (or more??? ) ?

Next question....which powder(s) should I be leaning towards for either the 151 or the 154?
I think you will see about 100 fps less with the HHT. My guess in the 308 win.

Next question....which powder(s) should I be leaning towards for either the 151 or the 15

I would use N550 all day long. I pushed the 151AH to 3300 with my 30-06 with a 26" barrel, (of course mileage may vary, this has shown to be a fast barrel with other loads). I would start around 57 grains and work my way up carefully.

Regards

I would use N550 all day long. I pushed the 151AH to 3300 with my 30-06 with a 26" barrel, (of course mileage may vary, this has shown to be a fast barrel with other loads). I would start around 57 grains and work my way up carefully.

Regards
Is this you?

1686865925409.png

I'm both jealous and mad at myself. I'll explain:

Jealous - Because that long neck of the 30-06 gonna swallow all them PDRs nicely and spit that Hammer with force. Talk about PIDT!

Mad at myself - For forgetting the 30-06 with a Hammer is essentially equivalent and beyond a 300WM with Cup & Core bullet. Oh well, my 300WM is the equivalent to a 300 RUM C&C.

@BFD : I loaded up 180HH in son's 06 since he loves 180's. Had a 180BT load that was 2700fps that shot decent out of his 700ADL 22". I loaded up the 180HH's, it shot STUPID accurate such I could not believe it at times. Well under 1/2MOA at 300 which is his max for comfort. He was totally peeved at me for changing "his load". At range, his first shot perfect 12 over bull at 100. Shoots again, no hole, chews me out missed paper. Third shot same. Madder than wet hen. I suggested new target, goes down, comes back and says calmly "this should work fine"....yep, 3 shot tight clover. He has killed 5 deer with it in 2 years. Killed a muley buck last year at 240 yds which he was now confident and smoked him. He is getting more interest in down range hunting now! All wrecked like true Hammer performance. BTW, the 180HH load topped over 2900 with W760! Hunting load at 2850! I want to try the 154HHT, mentioned it and he was NOT having that!

My next build will be 06 for sure. Looking at the new Wby 307 action which has great max COAL.

@BFD : I loaded up 180HH in son's 06 since he loves 180's. Had a 180BT load that was 2700fps that shot decent out of his 700ADL 22". I loaded up the 180HH's, it shot STUPID accurate such I could not believe it at times. Well under 1/2MOA at 300 which is his max for comfort. He was totally peeved at me for changing "his load". At range, his first shot perfect 12 over bull at 100. Shoots again, no hole, chews me out missed paper. Third shot same. Madder than wet hen. I suggested new target, goes down, comes back and says calmly "this should work fine"....yep, 3 shot tight clover. He has killed 5 deer with it in 2 years. Killed a muley buck last year at 240 yds which he was now confident and smoked him. He is getting more interest in down range hunting now! All wrecked like true Hammer performance. BTW, the 180HH load topped over 2900 with W760! Hunting load at 2850! I want to try the 154HHT, mentioned it and he was NOT having that!

My next build will be 06 for sure. Looking at the new Wby 307 action which has great max COAL.
How did you raise such a stick in the mud old fuddy duddy? Haha! I don't blame him for not wanting to change. He could try a new bullet and go back to the old load if he wanted to. He must be pretty superstitious! Always wears the same socks when he goes hunting?

I'm all about FAFO, but when FAFO leads to LITFA. You just LITFA!

I might be wrong but the long neck of that grandpa cartridge should enhance the Hammer performance with all them PDRs buried in the case neck... @Steve Davis. Do tell me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
How did you raise such a stick in the mud old fuddy duddy? Haha! I don't blame him for not wanting to change. He could try a new bullet and go back to the old load if he wanted to. He must be pretty superstitious! Always wears the same socks when he goes hunting?
Yassir. I think it imperative to keep the notes on the gun. It's relieving to have cracked the code on a rig's recipe while full blown FAFO with other tweaks. ;)

He is a bow guy thru and thru! He isn't a rifle guy until lately so hated to change his "confidence"! That is until he saw me whacking nice bucks in next zip code as he put it.? The first good one was with 300WM and when he came over from other side of farm he was what? We walked to where buck was standing by hedgerow and looked back to where I was sitting and tried to range with his bow range finder and it wouldn't range. 😁 He started to change his thoughts (and socks!) when I killed my biggest with the .270TH couple years ago. When he killed bunch with the 180HH he was impressed with terminal performance as all get out. When he field dressed a nice 10 and heart was completely detached laying in chest cavity he was all geeked out over the terminal performance of the 180HH! His bow buddy just got a 28N so rifles are now a "worthy" tool!

Back