Cost per shot

Calculated on replacement cost of components it's getting up there when primers are probably 30 cents each. And the grains of powder used with my .223 using the least and my .300wm using the most.

Probably around $2.50 to load a .308win cartridge with a HH 124gn.

I limit my waste in range time but I don't count the bullet cost if I traveled to go shooting. Fuel is the bigger cost factor.

If can shoot a number of pigs in a trip or shoot feral cats, even a fox I don't consider the bullet cost if the shots are clean.

There's a couple of reloading cost calculators online that are pretty good.

Id have to look up receipts to be exact but due to the heavily increased prices of powder and primers I'm probably only saving less than a buck per round.

Are you averaging the life of the brass, or just saying brass is X per piece of new brass?

Lapua brass is 3 dollars per piece.
Powder is .50 cent per round
Primer is .25 cent
Bullet is 1.75 dollars per round

I should get 5 firings per piece of brass (maybe more….so roughly .75 cent per shot

Total 3.25 per shot which is half or less what a hunting round would cost from the factory.

Most people don’t average the life of the brass which inflates the cost per round.

I find that travelling to some properties puts the cost per shot in the exorbitant basket, but the therapy it provides is priceless, my furtherest property is 18 hours drive, so I only go if I can spend a week there at least, the latest price rises have made me think more about quality of shooting and the components that I use.
Oddly enough, I am spending more on decent projectiles, brass etc, and making every shot count, instead of wasting ammo furfing around.
🐢.

Are you averaging the life of the brass, or just saying brass is X per piece of new brass?

Lapua brass is 3 dollars per piece.
Powder is .50 cent per round
Primer is .25 cent
Bullet is 1.75 dollars per round

I should get 5 firings per piece of brass (maybe more….so roughly .75 cent per shot

Total 3.25 per shot which is half or less what a hunting round would cost from the factory.

Most people don’t average the life of the brass which inflates the cost per round.

I averaged the cost of the barrel and chambering since they go down together. Figured a thousand rounds from this wildcat. Figured I'd get about eight reloads per brass, based on how many firings I'm now getting. I use Norma brass and looked at cost of replacing them. The primers, powder, everything. Anyway it came up to about four bucks.

yeah, Im not in this for the cost savings....

I remember when I was curious about reloading, reloaders would tell me "savings" was a major factor. Something told me that might be exaggerated...
For pistol shooters and tactical shooters maybe but my only interest is hunting ammo. I coulda bought a whole new rifle with nice scope for everything Ive invested in reloading stuff.

But now Im happy Im no longer dependent on stupid factory ammo supply chain issues, priceless.

You aren’t saving money by reloading….😂. It would take decades to break even when you consider the gear, surplus components and firearms I’ve bought because I reload. That’s assuming I stopped this hobby today and just reloaded what I have.

Just like it would be cheaper to buy a side of beef every year and stop hunting…..that ain’t gonna happen either.

All the above being said, I keep telling my wife all my reloading is saving us buckets of money. She has stayed with me for 25 years so she must believe me. 😂😂🤣

yeah, Im not in this for the cost savings....

I remember when I was curious about reloading, reloaders would tell me "savings" was a major factor. Something told me that might be exaggerated...
For pistol shooters and tactical shooters maybe but my only interest is hunting ammo. I coulda bought a whole new rifle with nice scope for everything Ive invested in reloading stuff.

But now Im happy Im no longer dependent on stupid factory ammo supply chain issues, priceless.
Exactly! Not dependent on what THEY think is a good idea either.

Back