Hammer inspired Rifle Builds

6.5 PRC built by Ace Rifles in Nevada. 20" 1-7 twist carbon six barrel, 2 stage trigger tech trigger, manners EH5 thumbhole stock. Leupold Mark V HD 3.6-18x44 scope with a thunder beast dominus SR suppressor. Shooting 125 HHTs at 3150 very comfortably. Got to 3350+ fps, but accuracy wasn't there.

Attachments

• IMG_9225.jpg
    IMG_9225.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9221.jpg
    IMG_9221.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Just like a kid at Christmas!
Finally got all my components together; even neck turned the first lot of brass in preparation for fire-forming. Just had to wait forever on the action from Wetherby. Tried one of their new 307 actions made in Wyoming. It's very smooth and looks good. It functions very nicely. I was curious if it would need to be blue-printed (like Rem 700s). It did. Oh well. It also takes the same mounts and screws that a Savage takes for scope bases, etc No big deal. Just, I had already bought stuff for a Rem 700 which it is supposed to be a clone of.
Got another Stockys VG2 carbon stock, barrel is a light palma contour 30" Brux barrel. Trigger is a Timney 2lb (which will be made lighter). Bottom metal and magazine is HS Precision. Decided to try one of the Arken FFP scopes. Jury is still out. At high power the cross hairs and stadia lines are clearly visible. Not so good at low light and low power (like woods hunting and early/late in the day. At least there's an illuminated dot for an aim point at low magnification. We'll see how it goes. Got it too late to hunt with this season - but look out next summer if my neighbor gets back to planting. ;)
Had it chambered in another Sherman Wildcat. This one is a 26 Sherman Magnum. I wanted to build something that could really send the heavier 6.5 pills at nosebleed speeds. Think I've got it! The cartridge is a 300 PRC Imp, necked down to 26 caliber.

Just finished load workups this afternoon. They're posted in the data sheets. How about a 123 Absolute at 3834 fps! I'm hoping it gives the "zoomie" a little competition in the "bang-flop" category🤞.

Got the 125 HHT up to 3705, but I doubt I'll use it. In my limited experience the HHTs do not handle hyper velocity impacts very well. They tend to become very destructive of tissue (think bomb!). That's fine. I'm more a speed demon and Hammer Hunter or Absolute kind of guy. They're tested and proven at speed demon velocity impacts.

Photos to follow

Attachments

• 20240131_172429.jpg
    20240131_172429.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240131_172422.jpg
    20240131_172422.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240131_172329.jpg
    20240131_172329.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 20240131_172131.jpg
    20240131_172131.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 20240227_204915.jpg
    20240227_204915.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 28
Just like a kid at Christmas!
Finally got all my components together; even neck turned the first lot of brass in preparation for fire-forming. Just had to wait forever on the action from Wetherby. Tried one of their new 307 actions made in Wyoming. It's very smooth and looks good. It functions very nicely. I was curious if it would need to be blue-printed (like Rem 700s). It did. Oh well. It also takes the same mounts and screws that a Savage takes for scope bases, etc No big deal. Just, I had already bought stuff for a Rem 700 which it is supposed to be a clone of.
Got another Stockys VG2 carbon stock, barrel is a light palma contour 30" Brux barrel. Trigger is a Timney 2lb (which will be made lighter). Bottom metal and magazine is HS Precision. Decided to try one of the Arken FFP scopes. Jury is still out. At high power the cross hairs and stadia lines are clearly visible. Not so good at low light and low power (like woods hunting and early/late in the day. At least there's an illuminated dot for an aim point at low magnification. We'll see how it goes. Got it too late to hunt with this season - but look out next summer if my neighbor gets back to planting. ;)
Had it chambered in another Sherman Wildcat. This one is a 26 Sherman Magnum. I wanted to build something that could really send the heavier 6.5 pills at nosebleed speeds. Think I've got it! The cartridge is a 300 PRC Imp, necked down to 26 caliber.

Just finished load workups this afternoon. They're posted in the data sheets. How about a 123 Absolute at 3834 fps! I'm hoping it gives the "zoomie" a little competition in the "bang-flop" category🤞.

Got the 125 HHT up to 3705, but I doubt I'll use it. In my limited experience the HHTs do not handle hyper velocity impacts very well. They tend to become very destructive of tissue (think bomb!). That's fine. I'm more a speed demon and Hammer Hunter or Absolute kind of guy. They're tested and proven at speed demon velocity impacts.

Photos to follow
That’s a beauty, I’m a big Arken fan

Here's a comparison of cartridges to show where the 26 Sherman Mag falls.
Left to right:
6.5 CM, 25/06 AI, 6.5 Sherman Max, 26 Sher Mag, and 7mm RUM

Attachments

• 20240228_083800.jpg
    20240228_083800.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
With that 30 inch barrel and all that capacity in the cartridge you might be able to make the 5,000 fps club. The parent cartridge has 88 grains of water. Is there any reason why you didn't just go with a 26 Nosler? As much as I think wildcats are cool, the furthest I have gone in an Ackley Improved. Since the 26 Nosler has a case capacity of 96.2 grains of water, what is the advantage? I'm not trying to be smart here, but want to learn.

With that 30 inch barrel and all that capacity in the cartridge you might be able to make the 5,000 fps club. The parent cartridge has 88 grains of water. Is there any reason why you didn't just go with a 26 Nosler? As much as I think wildcats are cool, the furthest I have gone in an Ackley Improved. Since the 26 Nosler has a case capacity of 96.2 grains of water, what is the advantage? I'm not trying to be smart here, but want to learn.
@les
One thing I love about Sherman cartridges is their extreme efficiency. Rich does an amazing job getting maximum out of each cartridge size. In this instance, I was able to exceed 26 Nos and 6.5/300 Wby velocities while using 10 grs less powder!

What's the parent case GL and whose brass are you using?
ADG brass,. Parent case is 300 PRC necked down to .264. Necks turned to ~ .015 wall thickness for consistency and fireformed to 40° shoulder, some wall taper removed. Hold around 90 grs.

Farleg - It seems as if you have BEANMORE fever. Many of your latest posts have referenced it. I'm enjoying mine. That said, I won't be hunting deer or elk with it. I'm hoping to get out for coyotes this weekend with the BEANMORE. It is fun to shoot that's for sure! As I look over the last two years, Hammer has inspired me to get back into shooting a 300 RUM. With a good Hammer you can have your cake and eat it too at the velocities that the RUM can produce. I do think I have a winner with the 300WSM that I am putting together. It is a nice light rifle that shoots well so far. For me a serious hunting rifle for Mule Deer and Elk has to be 30 cal. or bigger. I know many guys and gals that shoot less. These are personal choices. It is not a right or wrong issue. Often they are historical choices as well. I grew up in Minnesota and my Grandpa and Dad were 30/06 fanatics. Our family farm had BIG Whitetails. When I was a kid, my Dad had the state record for a few years. The Whitetail was over 300 pounds. It is hard to beat corn feed venison on the table.

I enjoy reading about the rifle builds around here! GL's new gun is very interesting. Farleg, I just can't believe how many opportunities you have to shoot critters. I'm a little jealous. I was watching some YouTube videos of guys blasting feral camels in Australia. Amazing opportunity! I realize that is a long way from where you live. I realize that Hammer bullets are not cheap, but they inspired me to finally get a bucket list gun, the 35 Whelen. It just is such a nice round to shoot.

Hoping and praying your health gets better. Thanks for all you do and enjoy that BEANMORE!

Back