HHT Terminal Performance

gltaylor

Staff member
There is a thread on Hammer Bullets Terminal Performance (Picture Heavy). A request was made to create another thread specific to the new HHT family of bullets. Here it is.
Please post descriptions of terminal performance, animal involved, caliber/weight bullet, distance, angle, impact velocity and photos of internal damage here. This thread will become a single location for all data specific to HHTS.
Thanks for your help!

I know it's always better to say, "Did you see me do that?!", rather than, "Watch me do this!" However, my childlike fervor and anticipation has me all a giddy about October. I've three new rigs, and a couple vintage rigs in which I have a lot of Hammer copper ready to sling into TX hog recipients in the name of fun and science. Stay tuned...

Black bear shot at 325 yards with a 182 HHT launched out of a 300 win mag at 3145 fps with impact around 2590 fps. Slight quartering away shot. Bullet entered behind the left shoulder and crushed the right shoulder. He made it about 10 yards and piled up. Photos: entrance, exit, petal.
IMG_4381.jpg

IMG_4380.jpg
IMG_4389.jpg
IMG_4391.jpg

Last edited:
Gday CD84
Nice & congrats
That’s a interesting petal more of the way a traditional hammer peels 👍

On lungs & overall result @ that velocity impact ( 2600 has got my interest ) how would you rate the comparison vrs the other lines or just your overall impression
Cheers

Gday CD84
Nice & congrats
That’s a interesting petal more of the way a traditional hammer peels 👍

On lungs & overall result @ that velocity impact ( 2600 has got my interest ) how would you rate the comparison vrs the other lines or just your overall impression
Cheers
I didn’t open it up to investigate but it seemed like it was turned to soup inside. I had a very similar shot on a bear last year with the 181 hh which performed as advertised but this result with the hht is more impressive.

Here’s the results of a 7mm 143 HHT moving about 3025 fps at the muzzle, range was 120 yards, impact velocity 2800 fps. Smallish coyote, entry caliber sized, exit golf ball size. He made it about 70 yards on a dead run.

Admittedly the 143 is overkill, I’ll be loading up some 90 HH’s at much higher velocity for coyote’s soon.

C80D3AA8-C34D-458B-B632-DFCCBB6E02AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Gday jth
Not overkill it’s authority 😉

Was that a liver shot or between liver lungs as trying to work out these guys vitals
& a little on the shapecharge of that pill

Did you open it up & see where it opened & what it took out
Cheers

Farleg - it was definitely hit with authority 😎, could tell he was doomed immediately with the thermal. He was quartering to a little, its back of lungs, maybe a little liver. There were pieces of gelatinous red goo along his exit path, likely lung but could have been liver. I picked him up to get him out of a patch of spruce and roll him over for the photo and there was plenty of sloshing and red jello pouring out the hole. I think his lungs were liquified.

They’re pretty loaded up with fleas this time of year here, so no further autopsy was performed.

168 gr. HHT out of a 300 wsm with MV 3100 fps. Shot was 70 yards and bear was perfectly broadside. Impact nicked the shoulder / arm meat on both sides and was a perfect double lung. Bear covered 30 yards in about 2 seconds and piled up as you see in the picture. No death moan, which usually means it was a dead bear running. Bear was 200 ish lbs.....hanging after being gutted was 166lbs.

I need to get better at taking pictures for a necropsy with these bullets.....beings that I didn't, you will have to trust me that terminal performance was as expected...devastating. Entry and exit were approx. the same size and chest cavity was a big bowl of jelly. No meat damage to the front shoulders.

Another buddy used the same rifle on a bear with similar results.....don't have any pictures of that bear.

Attachments

• bear weight.jpeg
    bear weight.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO4fPzrj8TvCy3vdQ2wgE_934xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA.jpeg
    00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO4fPzrj8TvCy3vdQ2wgE_934xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 35
Sweet. I'm about 10 days from carrying the same HHT in my rum in Montana. Hopefully, I can add to this thread!
Gday cbjr no pressure 😜but your on notice we need pics pics & more pics lol plus take measurements of course
Looking forward to the journey whatever happens

@jrebel not having a go @ you or anyone for no pics just happy to hear about your journeys & if we look @ our previous results with whatever pill we use or were using & compare to the one just used that’s a great start

& looks like a flea collar is needed for @JTH 🤣🤣

Cheers

Gday guys
Quick derail 😱
I’m in 2 camps
Thinking out load here do you guys think I should spend a bit of time putting information in this thread on the hht line or go like I have & break it down to a specific pill like I’ve been doing 🤷‍♂️

Now I can’t do both so just trying to see where the information I gather would be best served

Im @
1/ be good in one place but
2/it’s also a lot for a individual to search in one thread ( this thread will get big imo ) & derail also comes then do they see what they are looking for & just give up

Thoughts?

Cheers

Gday guys
Quick derail 😱
I’m in 2 camps
Thinking out load here do you guys think I should spend a bit of time putting information in this thread on the hht line or go like I have & break it down to a specific pill like I’ve been doing 🤷‍♂️

Now I can’t do both so just trying to see where the information I gather would be best served

Im @
1/ be good in one place but
2/it’s also a lot for a individual to search in one thread ( this thread will get big imo ) & derail also comes then do they see what they are looking for & just give up

Thoughts?

Cheers
I’m thinking break it down to specific pills

Gday all

I shot a large doe in Missouri with the 154HHT. Here are some details.

308win/154HHT
26”, 12 twist, 3015MV
111 yards, impact velocity 2800fps
The shot was slightly quartering to. Entry in the meat of the left front shoulder, just under scapula. Exit was mid lung/ribs. The doe bounced into tall weeds almost immediately after the shot.
IMG_0966.jpeg
Shot location was white X, with arrow in direction of travel.

I waited till dark to track. There was blood immediately at the shot on the edge of the field. There was a very good blood trail in the tall weeds leading to this small tree she plowed into. Roughly 30 yards from the shot location.
IMG_0970.jpeg
The doe must have hit this tree mid jump as the blood was chest high. There was a lot of hair and blood on the ground. She made it about another 15 yards, so roughly a 45 yard run.
IMG_0971.jpeg
Entry
IMG_0972.jpeg
Exit
IMG_0973.jpeg
Exit hole well over caliber size. There was a lot of blood coming out of the exit hole. There was also lots of blood coming from her nose and mouth.
IMG_1005.jpeg
EntryIMG_1006.jpeg
Entry on inside. You can see how the meat of the shoulder plugs the hole when the muscles move. The 154HHT clearly started opening in the shoulder.
IMG_1007.jpeg
Exit hole was significant through the ribs.
IMG_1004.jpeg
I’ll follow up in the next post with lung pics. My phone is acting up and I don’t want to loose what I have.

Kneedeep

Back