HHT Terminal Performance

I would be very interested to know your load details. My 308 likes the 137 so I figured I’d try the 138, but I’m flirting with the 154 as well. I have the mag length for the 163, but I’m not sure I want to go that slow.
Snailz

I completely missed this until this morning. My apologies and if I don’t respond next time feel free to send me a pm.

I didn’t do much in the way of load development. I shot 4 rounds working up to pressure in 1/2gr increments. 47.5-49.0 I didn’t even find pressure and I’m likely close. The overall group working up was 5/8” and when I hit 3000fps, I loaded three, shot a group, adjusted scope, shot one more to confirm adjustment and took it out to shoot a doe.

Brass is win USA, cheap stuff
CCI 200
CFE223 - 49.0gr
3015fps
2.825” coal
LFC - 3/8 turn bb style

The crimp is just on the front of the pdr band. It is not in the middle of a valley. I didn’t mess with adjusting the crimp. I set this much crimp based on a visual of seeing the brass just roll over the top of the pdr band. Nothing scientific.

This rifle doesn’t get good velocity (with the powders I’ve tried) with the 137hh or 124hh. I get roughly the same velocity with the 154hht as the 137hh but better accuracy with the 154hht.

Sorry for the delay
Kneedeep

A friend of mine shot a deer last week with his 243 and the 75 hht at 340 yards. Muzzle velocity is 3340fps impact was roughly 2470fps. This was one of the few hammers I’ve seen caught in an animal.
On entry the bullet expanded very quickly some of the petals went through to the other side and didn’t exit the hide. One petal went down the entrance side and exited the rib meat, it’s the hole back in the ribs. Internal damage was per usual, hammer pudding. He wasn’t descriptive on the internal damage. The deer dropped at the shot but got up and went about 30 yards to the woods.
Entrance side
imagejpeg_3.jpeg
Exit side you can see a petal in the hide
imagejpeg_2.jpeg
Entrance side under the shoulder
imagejpeg_0.jpeg
I did not see this deer first hand so I’m reporting what I was told. He’s been very pleased with this combo on deer. He didn’t dig out the shank unfortunately.

I don't think I have seen so many carcasses of game as are posted on the Hammer Forums. Not complaining, just enjoying the performance. That is amazing damage and a true testament to the effectiveness of that bullet. I hope he did dig out the skillet and enjoyed some fine venison.

Back