Predator Proliferation Problems

Not a comeback here, officially from WDFW, but bobcats, coyotes are moving to town to avoid bigger predators. The lions are in close as well, but talking wolves is frowned upon.

One for our Aussie friends

I always marvel at the rationalizations for allowing increased habituation of predators to humans.

Good day today, spot and stalk coyotes, spotted 3 coyotes a mile away, knew where they were headed to bed, moved in to 450 yards all 3 bedded within 75 yards of each other, no way to get closer, pulled out did 3/8 mile hook around to get in some low ground. Ranged yearling male 305 yards, clicked up 5 clicks prone killed him. Old male popped up no idea where I was ran from left to right, finally stopped, still trying to locate me, shot him a hair over 300 yards. Never saw the female. As I was working in on them spotted 4 coming out of a canal 1 1/2 mile away northwest. Saw where they headed into by the time I got there, it was 2 hours later. Long wide draw, canal on each side, perfect way to get into the draw out of sight. 3/4 mile in saw one mousing 500 yards away, work west in the canal wind in my face, stopped when he was straight north of me another 300 yards, prone with bipod, lay up shot, 5 clicks up on scope, killed him. Kept heading west, looking for other 3, 1/2 mile farther spotted one laying in grass in a side draw. Approached to roughly 300 yards could not see him, tried mouse squeak, tried female and male challenge on critter call, Nothing, hooked a loop around to come into the draw across from him, he was laying in bottom 1/3, just barely peaked over till I could see him, ranged 231 yards, used shooting sticks to get rifle to clear rise, shot creased leg hit guts, spin and run, two more shots, missing, he had not located me, came running over the rise to my right and stopped, dead dog. Real old big male! Couple pointers I have learned, I wear snow gille hood, comes to my neck area, 8-10” threads, and snow camo the rest, but the head shoulders is most important when your peeking over things. If you don’t clear a rise just stay on other side, when you shootthe sound isn’t easy for them to locate, any time you have contour between you it effects the sound lots of times in your favor. 29 so far all spot and stalk, just love it, you don’t want me stalking you, won’t turn out good, lots of practice staying out of site! Extremely addictive! Most stalks take 1-2 hours, patience is key, let it play out don’t force it. 204 ruger CZ rifle, 39 grain SBK @ 3900 fps.💪
Need to pick a hammer I can run in 1-12” twist above 4000 fps! I think that 31hh may be the ticket. It was a perfect day, new snow 12 degrees, light wind, only thing that could be better would have been over cast instead of bright sun. Best day for kills all winter.

Last edited:
Back