Recommendations for 308 Win.

Thaymond

Hi all. I'm getting ready to start reloading for a 308 winchester my wife will be shooting on elk ideally up to 400 yards, I am new to hammer bullets and would love advice on a bullet weight recommendations and any other advice you may have for that caliber. The rifle is a Savage 110 Ultralight with a 1 in 10 twist, 22in barrel.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking through the reloading data on other parts of the forum too and that seems like a good option.

Hammers are a little different and I have had people laugh at me for using a light, fast bullet. They have no clue as to what they are talking about. Killed an Elk with a 124 HH from a 6.5 CM. The people on this forum know their stuff, and will not steer you wrong. Speed Kills.

I don't know. I won't be able to load for the rifle for another year since my dad has it right now. That would be awesome though

Come on guys! Poor Thaymond hasn't been told about the great 137HH for the 308. It is probably the most tested Hammer bullet and has been tweaked more than other Hammer bullet and it is awesome. I shoot a 308 (as well as others.). Not only do you gain speed, but less recoil than the 154 HHT. I just got a Savage 110 Ultralight in 300 WSM. I used to have a 270 Weatherby Mag. Welcome from Idaho! I also like Benchmark in the 308.

The 124gn HH have proven very accurate in my .308. Decked a few pigs, nothing bigger yet.
Going to a 154gn for larger species makes sense and yet light enough to drive it harder and the characteristics of a mono will penetrate deeper .
For a .308 it's probably a good choice for large game.
Shot placement matters.

🤔
124gn have worked well in my .308.

Looking for a good pill use in my .300wm. Something heavier than the .124HH.

My factory Tikka is only grouping around 1moa with handloads I've tried so far using other brands of projectiles I have on hand.

@Farleg

You’ve shot more animals with the 137hh than anyone. So can you help @Thaymond make a decision between the 154HHT and the 137HH in his 308win for elk?

Thaymond’s opening post in case you haven’t read the thread.
“Hi all. I'm getting ready to start reloading for a 308 winchester my wife will be shooting on elk ideally up to 400 yards, I am new to hammer bullets and would love advice on a bullet weight recommendations and any other advice you may have for that caliber. The rifle is a Savage 110 Ultralight with a 1 in 10 twist, 22in barrel.”

Thanks
Kneedeep

🤔
124gn have worked well in my .308.

Looking for a good pill use in my .300wm. Something heavier than the .124HH.

My factory Tikka is only grouping around 1moa with handloads I've tried so far using other brands of projectiles I have on hand.
124HH and Absolutes ain't my thang.

Back