358 win

I've been playing with 5744 lately so I figured why not let's try some in the 358 Winchester with 140 grain hammer.

I had no idea where to start and the only reference I had was a safe load of 47.5 grains of AA 1680. Other than recently not blowing myself up with this powder in the 45-90. I only used it as a cast bullet powder but the burn rate seemed fine. And my research on the internet seemed to support this.🙏

I didn't want to get to cocky so I loaded 44 grains and 1/2 crimped in the top Valley and shot it in the canal behind the house. it seemed okay so I did one with 45 grains and pressure seemed a little high. I was good at 44 so time to go to the Grove and run it across the chronograph.

I also had a safe pressure load of 47.5 aa-1680 that grouped terribly so I adjusted the crimp back to 1/3 and loaded 4 more. I also loaded 4 of the 44 grains of 5744 with a 1/3 crimp.

First up was the 5744 loads. The first bullet produced a blistering velocity of 3174. 🚀 not bad for a 308 class case pushing 140 grain bullet out of a 20 inch barrel. I was pleased at this number. All went well considering group seem to be terrible until the 4th shot. Chronograph read 3205 as the blown primer confirmed that🥴. Average velocity for that load was 3187 with a terrible vertical three and a half inch group.☹️

So next up was the aa-1680. To make a long story short. I printed a four shot group of less than 3/4 of an inch with an average velocity of 3099.(all was shot semi rapid fire due storm movin in) Now I'm pleased. This is 100 ft faster than my goal and for the application of this rifle, sub three quarter inch, if it works out after a few more times across the bench will make me more than happy.

Joe

I love this place! I'm like you Joe. Up until a few weeks ago, I have only used 5744 for reduced loads in big bores. Not only are we getting great bullets, but there is an attitude of learning around here. I keep learning from you all! I've just used 1680 in the 7.62x39. I'm going to have to try some 5744 in the 308 now! Thanks Joe! The 124gr HH's are calling me!

Monday evening I went to The Grove with 10 bullets loaded for my 358. five new brass and five old brass, all loaded with 47 and a half grains of AA 1680.

Recently there was a thread on crimping or not crimping so this time out I decided to give 1/3 FCD (normally I start at 1/2) a try in this combination. I just received this Barrel and had decided to shoot the 140 shock hammers in it.

First up was the new brass and the group was atrocious, 3 in Plus so I decided to save the five once fired cases and go back and revisit my notes. ( not sure if loads were properly labeled for crimp in previous load development🥴 my notes seemed a little messy might I say) At work I decided that there shouldn't be no harm in setting these things at 1/2 and see how they do. So I re-zeroed the dies, reconfirmed and set a 1/2 FCD and headed towards the Grove.

BINGO!!

Anytime a rifle shoots inside the intersection of your crosshairs I call that a major major accomplishment. I am massively satisfied with my model 7 (FINALLY) and it has been a journey, trust me. It started out life with a factory 7-08 Barrel on it that cost me a year of frustration 5*.

I will also add that I attempted to use AA5744 in this combination and that decision cost me five cases because every one of them that I shot I could install the primers with my fingers afterwards... Definitely not the correct pressure curve🥴. Even though the cases showed only signs of early pressure, pretty easy bot lift and extraction, slight swipe. Looked great other than the primers would fall out!!!

Last night I went out and shot three of the five that I had made. The first two, as you could see in the previous post were phenomenal. I let the barrel cool ran down took a picture. Smiled a whole bunch, came back and shot one more. It Snowmaned the top hole 👍 so I decided to save the next two for pigs (should they appear) when we go to camp this weekend.

Rem mod 7
20 in McGowan 10 twist w brake
140 SH
1/2 FCD in top valley
JBA cases
WLR (white box)
AA 1680
MV 3155
3/8 group
@ 88°

I decided to try some 178 shock hammers in my 358 Winchester. I started at 41.5 grains of IMR 4198 I ended up going to a very compressed load of 44 grains with an average muzzle velocity of 2795. Two, 2 shot groups ended in a group that measured right at a half inch. I'm going to try some n120 to see if I can't gain some more velocity. I feel this is pedestrian for this combination. Then I will have to decide if I'm going to shoot this one or the 140s. The nice thing is, point of impacts at 100 yards is identical for some reason, makes the decision less important.

💥🚀🔨☠️

Back