I've been doing it wrong all this time.

I do the cheap way, plumbline hanging in the other end of the basement, level the bases then install scope and level the reticle to the plumbline. Same concept…
Same concept for the first half.
Zoom in on the photo and see what they are doing by shining the light back through the scope causing the shadow on the wall. You don't need to get behind the gun while you make adjustments. I see it as more efficient way of doing it.

The way you do it is how I've done it.
Kris

Do same with plum Bob but I use an ice fishing lead depth sounder.!😂 I found one stashed in desk drawer left over from selling all my ice fishing gear. Have to replace the large white easel paper I had on wall. I just take a long level and draw a level line with sharpie. Nice clean background to shine to.

Since I have a ranch with huge basement, I also have a fridge down there. I placed magnet strips in a crosshair format that I can zero scope from other end of basement to roughly to start range work. When done, grab beer out of fridge. Works for me.

Ok, we all have our means to level receivers etc. I made my own strip magnet with bubble level but it didn't have the strength I wanted to "snap" solid to flat top of receiver, bases etc. These strip magnets are absolutely insane strength and will snap onto any level spot on your receiver like nothing you have seen before! Heck, lifted rifle out of cradle with it!

Found these online at Total Element who has tons of different magnets. I found a 3x1/2x1/8 strip magnet with a pull force of over 20 freaking pounds! These buggers SNAP onto wherever you place them. WARNING! If you allow 2 of them to snap together, you will REGRET it! Total Element also showed me they have GREAT CS when USPS screwed up delivery and sent me replacement immediately via FedEx!

I bet these will work great for any leveling concept you might have.

IMG_3576.jpegIMG_3577.jpeg

Level guy here. Seems like scope will be leveled to laser or plum bob but will it be leveled with rifle?
You level the rifle first and while it's level you turn the scope. You could lock the rifle into a vise or simply have it setup on a bipod and level the rifle or pistol then look at the wall turn the scope and then start tightening the scope rings. If you cause anything to move it will be very noticeable by just looking at the shadow on the wall. No need to get behind the gun to constantly check.

Kris

That’s the way I do it. I’ve got a plumb line on the wall. I level the rifle, then flashlight and line up the crosshairs. Only takes a few minutes.
Guess I never thought of that! This same concept can be applied a few different ways it seems, I think I will try your trick next time, like Kris said it’s instant replay and don’t have get behind the gun to check and tweak check tweak etc. I don’t have a lazer plumb so never really thought to try…

Guess I never thought of that! This same concept can be applied a few different ways it seems, I think I will try your trick next time, like Kris said it’s instant replay and don’t have get behind the gun to check and tweak check tweak etc. I don’t have a lazer plumb so never really thought to try…
I have a plywood wall on one side of my work/loading bench. I simply took 2 ft bubble level and drew a plumb line that lines up with where I put my gun vise. Super low tech and simple.

Back