Sausage

Sows and boar shortly after breeding last fall. American guinea hog cross pigs.

They give birth naturally. Each one seems to have a still birth each litter and usually end up loosing one after that. 11 was the biggest litter the one has had. Normal is 8 or 9 for each.

Attachments

• 20231111_105751.jpg
    20231111_105751.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 30
I generally don't name my food.

Funny story. Last year we ordered a mess of chickens. A bunch of buff Orprington roosters and a few speckled Sussex and barred rock hens.

I spared the last rooster. His name is Pardon.

One of the barred rock hens turned put to be a rooster. We named him Her.

Last year I butchered 10 pigs. I couldn't remember their names if we did name them. Haha.

So sausage works.

:)

ETA - the bigger girl stomped on one more earlier this afternoon. So we have 9 from little girl and 8 from big girl.

Last edited:
Gday mevertsen
Nice looking pigs
I love pigs so intelligent

We name a lot of our animals 😎
chops , roast , t bone , mince , topside, hocks are the ones that come to mind

What system do you use on your pigs when you butcher them ?
Scald or skin

Just done a couple here & the bacon’s pretty darn good

Cheers

Funny story. Last year we ordered a mess of chickens. A bunch of buff Orprington roosters and a few speckled Sussex and barred rock hens.

Last year I butchered 10 pigs. I couldn't remember their names if we did name them. Haha.

So sausage works.

Gday mevertsen
Nice looking pigs
I love pigs so intelligent

We name a lot of our animals 😎
chops , roast , t bone , mince , topside, hocks are the ones that come to mind

What system do you use on your pigs when you butcher them ?
Scald or skin

Just done a couple here & the bacon’s pretty darn good

Cheers
I just skin them. These are a smaller pig. 70kg / 150lbs or so at butcher weight. I do it similar to a deer. So I have to raise 3 or so for my family for the year. Haven't quite figured out how to do bacon. We also make lard. Great biscuits and pie crust.

So sausage works.

I just skin them. These are a smaller pig. 70kg / 150lbs or so at butcher weight. I do it similar to a deer. So I have to raise 3 or so for my family for the year. Haven't quite figured out how to do bacon. We also make lard. Great biscuits and pie crust.
Gday mevertsen
👍

We just tried a new thing ( cure ) on the bacon I’ll get information
Super easy & tastes pretty good

Cheers

So sausage works.

Do they taste bad when bigger than 150lbs or just tougher meat? Wild hogs still taste ok above 200lbs but the meat is tough as leather. We stick to max 150lbs like you are doing, but I thought farm raised could still be tender when bigger.

Those little bacon seeds reminds me of all the years I've hunted WT hogs and my buddy and I would sometimes come across a little wild bacon seed that survived the onslaught of the pack. Daggum cute little deals and calico colored, and we could never resist trying to catch one. I gassed out pretty quick laughing so hard at the sight of us chasing one of these little things around the fields.

Do they taste bad when bigger than 150lbs or just tougher meat? Wild hogs still taste ok above 200lbs but the meat is tough as leather. We stick to max 150lbs like you are doing, but I thought farm raised could still be tender when bigger.
They're just generally a smaller pig. My boar is maybe 300 lbs. Sows are 250 and maybe 200. I could probably get them to put on a lot of weight, but it would make for a lot of fat.

Back