Speed Kills

Gday Ed
I was all in till energy came up 🤣🤣🤣

All seriousness it’s one you see the frangible guys ( I once defended this also ) that you don’t need speed as it’s the energy dump system that kills as the pass through is wasted energy bla bla bla 🤪

It’s not until one understands the triangle that you will then see the errors in you thinking

Yes speed kills & as bean said it’s all in the bubble

Cheers

Great video. As a member of the Transplant Team at our hospital, I have had the privilege to see lungs prepared and removed for transplantation. They are amazing looking and very much sponge like. I've also seen a fully exposed heart ready for removal and sent off for transplantation. Mammals are amazing.

It still surprises me to see the damage often done on animals when we drill them and they go even 50 yards. One of the reasons I love Hammer bullets. I would have never thought I wouldn't be satisfied with a hunting bullet that doesn't leave the barrel at more than 3,000 feet per second. I am thankful for this group too as i am seeing the sweet spot is somewhere in the mid 3,000 fps for the 30 caliber rounds I like to shoot.

As I have watched videos, observed other hunters, I tend to like the larger calibers. I've shot several deer with a 44 mag in a lever carbine. None went more than 10 yards. I've shot several deer, elk, and bear with the 45/70. My longest tracking was 35 yards. I also had two bang flops with my 222 Remington Mag on deer. However, on both I ruined a whole quarter of the deer. Yes speed kills, but it can be too destructive if meat is your real trophy. One of the reasons I am experimenting with the 35 Whelen is that it might just be in that sweet spot of speed and bullet diameter that makes a good 400 - 500 yard rifle. Besides, I like to mess around!

Great video. As a member of the Transplant Team at our hospital, I have had the privilege to see lungs prepared and removed for transplantation. They are amazing looking and very much sponge like. I've also seen a fully exposed heart ready for removal and sent off for transplantation. Mammals are amazing.

It still surprises me to see the damage often done on animals when we drill them and they go even 50 yards. One of the reasons I love Hammer bullets. I would have never thought I wouldn't be satisfied with a hunting bullet that doesn't leave the barrel at more than 3,000 feet per second. I am thankful for this group too as i am seeing the sweet spot is somewhere in the mid 3,000 fps for the 30 caliber rounds I like to shoot.

As I have watched videos, observed other hunters, I tend to like the larger calibers. I've shot several deer with a 44 mag in a lever carbine. None went more than 10 yards. I've shot several deer, elk, and bear with the 45/70. My longest tracking was 35 yards. I also had two bang flops with my 222 Remington Mag on deer. However, on both I ruined a whole quarter of the deer. Yes speed kills, but it can be too destructive if meat is your real trophy. One of the reasons I am experimenting with the 35 Whelen is that it might just be in that sweet spot of speed and bullet diameter that makes a good 400 - 500 yard rifle. Besides, I like to mess around!
All the recent talk in HammerTime about 35 Whelen and assorted 338s has me reconsidering a 280ai as my dedicated western hunting rifle. I’m recoil averse. I can admit that to myself. I think the 280ai is an excellent combination of speed, efficiency and light recoil. All that being said, the 338-06 and various improved versions of it are very intriguing.

All the recent talk in HammerTime about 35 Whelen and assorted 338s has me reconsidering a 280ai as my dedicated western hunting rifle. I’m recoil averse. I can admit that to myself. I think the 280ai is an excellent combination of speed, efficiency and light recoil. All that being said, the 338-06 and various improved versions of it are very intriguing.
I'm recoil averse as well (nevermind the 9.3x62 I'm going to build one day). I ordered some 132 HHTs for my .280 AI (SAAMI version) Savage 110 and I'm not very happy with having to seat it onto the nose in order to do a crimp. Using an OAL gauge, my case necks sit in the center of the first valley when lightly touching the lands. I have a couple options. I can extend the throat longer with the 3.5" mag length in the Savage 110s, I can run the 131 HHs or 118 HHTs, or I can use my custom 7mm reamer in a new barrel. It shortens the .280 AI brass from 2.525" to 2.285" and a 31.5° shoulder. I originally designed it for the 169 HH, but now the 145/153 HHTs seem to me ideal. I'll be ordering the stock/barrel in the next month.

Back