Texas hot links

Beeman

Hammer Time Executive member
Made a batch of Texas hot links. I used ground elk and some pork. Turned out quite nice. Very juicy flavourful sausage with a little spice/heat. Anyone else make sausage with their game meat?

Attachments

• 5D58324A-8526-4D30-8701-9063F75BD9BC.jpeg
    5D58324A-8526-4D30-8701-9063F75BD9BC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 76A9FAD6-786C-4589-8DA1-EE39981AE529.jpeg
    76A9FAD6-786C-4589-8DA1-EE39981AE529.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
I got into making sausage and smallgoods about a year ago after harvesting Venison.
Bought basic equipment to go with what I had from meat cutting and got going from a lot of online resources.
Bought a half a hog from the local butcher and some back fat because I wanted to make Salami.
My very first Venison Sausages were great using a small batch Venison Sausage mix from Smoked and Cured website. Might be a Misty Gully brand.
IMG_20220715_181306.jpgIMG_20220901_205949.jpg

Those look great! I’ve been wanting to try some dry cured sausage/salami. Just not brave enough yet.

Those look great! I’ve been wanting to try some dry cured sausage/salami. Just not brave enough yet.
Don't overthink it.
I make mine in the shed I put plastic on my welding bench. The meat was harvested and dressed in the field anyway. Keep it clean and cold.
I put it off for years because people said you can get bad bacteria in Salami.
Keep it clean and follow the rules.
Curing salt and starter culture are like insurance to ensure the fermentation is safe.
Culture is a starter bacteria for fermentation.
Cure number 2 has a Nitrite and Nitrate to fight bad bacteria and preserve the meet. Nitrate converts to Nitrite slowly to ensure full cure
If you can load ammo safely you can learn smallgoods too.

I’ll have to try making some. I’m sure our spring/fall weather here in Canada should be good for a cool temperature. I do use curing salt when I make bacon and also use it in some sausage.

Gday
Look good fellas
Cbh I’ll get where my mate gets our seasoning from as they have a huge range & service is good
Where do you source your products from as never hurts to see what’s about

We just made another few different batches yesterday of burgers & sausages about 50 kg as thought better get ready for joe 😜

We do
kranski
Salami
Cabana
Devon
Multiple sausage flavours

main meat is venison & wallaby mixed with pork & lamb
Use to use natural casings ( from our own pork ) but way to time consuming now just use the bought ones

Use 16 mm plate first then depending on product then add seasoning mix up by hand then a 4 or 6mm for final grind to mix all together before the sausage machine

Here’s the first grind
I’ll get pictures of the sausages hanging 6730C28C-30F2-405E-B4C0-47FBD226AF5B.jpegD37A4EEA-1DCF-4EAD-B638-EDB5B361C38A.jpeg

Cheers

@Farleg it got a Misty Gully Venison Sausage mix from a website called Smoked and Cured. I think they are Melbourne based.
KAA are in Kingaroy and I've bought there seasoning from eBay.
I have been in Master Butchers (MBL) IN a Adelaide.
I think there is a place in Wodonga.

I'm new to this. But I started with a side of pork. And a bit of Venison

So I started with
Salami
Fresh sausages.
Coppacolla (cured pork neck muscle)
Leg Ham
Bacon

I tried to make an Italian sausage with Fennel and Garlic.
I found an Italian Casalinga I think that's a Denco brand from KAA.

Also tried Mettwurst later on.

I won't make Devon because I'm closer to South Australia so I call it Fritz. Plastic cases are $2ea and I good Fritz is cheap enough at Woolies.

I want to try Kabana , maybe Chorizo and Kranski.

I want to get a handle on what this Summer Sausage is or if there is something comparable in Australia

Back