Thermal

Out of curiosity, which thermal are you using?
I read farleg’s write-up on them from the old forum. If memory serves (it doesn’t as much as it used to), my takeaway was that I did not want a clip-on and and Pulsar is better than ATN.
But like most things discussed on this forum, I don’t know what I don’t know. Interested in other’s opinions.

Gday
Pulsar is the best I’ve used & a bit of a update since the old forum

My mates are using thermal monocular as a easier form of quick identification & by far so easy it’s stupid

Now also Pulsar has upgraded the 17 ium to a12
Now a few things are showing up with this upgrade but the interesting one is in fog the 17 is clearer but good nights or day the 12 is king so if anyone is potentially going to be hunting in fog a bit I’d take the 17
Light drizzle also affects picture quality & the way the animals are detected takes a bit longer but you get use to it

Also some of the other brands we are getting in Aussie now are showing good results but imo pulsar is still leading

Sr chief keep us updated on how you get on please
Cheers

Digging this up from the cellar. Were you able to eradicate any song dogs, @Sr Chief?

Which thermal do you have?

I am finally starting to get serious about a thermal instead of simply drooling and one-daying it. Price tags are causing anxiety, though!

I've been looking, but the price! Some of my bird hunting areas have way too many Yotes.

I have a ATN Thor 4. It is zeroed and ready. I've been hunting with it but havent seen anything but some deer. Havent even seen a yote on a camera in months. I like the scope. Be sure to use the rubber eye cup that threads on the ocular lens during the day as its near impossible to see anything thru it in daylight without it.
So all you have to do to get rid of coyotes I’d buy expensive thermal gear and mount it up?
Noted.

This is my neck of the woods if you have any specific questions post below.
Like any day scope you get what you pay for. I would personally avoid any new company that doesn’t offer a minimal of 4-5 year warranty. Some older companies such as Pulsar only have a 3 year warranty but they have a long proven track record.

Is leap from 17-12 microns worth it. Depends on distance and how important quality of image is to user.

Finally don’t spend over 3.5k on any thermal that does not autofocus or auto/ manually NUC.

Ok Thermal Doctor, 😉 I am looking for a hand held one for spotting coyotes, day or night, under 3 grand. I have been looking at pulsar and a few others I just don’t have a clue, point me in your opinion the right direction.

Flat to rolling, I shoot them from 20 yards to 630 yards is the farthest with a 204, mainly stalk them and want the ability to see them in stubble or grass from their heat signature. Sometimes I am 150 to 400 yards and have trouble locating them in 8” to 18” cover.

Pulsar Axion 2 LRF XG35 is light portable. Good native zoom and wide pan. It has 20x zoom but becomes pixilated after 10x zoom.
Built in rangefinder. Modest screen. You can save 1,000 by getting the smallest screen version. Both will easily pick up heat signature out to 1000 K but you won’t be able to see the tail of a coyote with the cheaper version.
Both these models become pixilated needing to be NUCed faster than I like. Not a big deal but something I noted.

Pulsar XG50 Talos largest visual screen. Good native zoom and wide pan. 10 Digital zoom. I can tell difference between baby cow and large hog out to 700 yards. Negative big/heaviest. Can easily see tail of coyote and no tail of a deer out to that range. Holds clarity better and longer than Axion versions.

How do you plan to hunt? Flashlight? NV? Thermal?

When it comes to day use. 500-600 yards may be pushing it in the hottest days. Cool or cold days will be fine but in Texas on 90°+ days I can barely push 300-400 yards. Typically I can see a heat signature but it’s more of a blob.

I also hardly never zoom in. Once you learn animal body language you can tell what the critter is at native zoom. That’s why I like the Talos model. But it is the most expensive.

I would be hunting from 40 degrees to minus 20, mainly a nov to mar time period. I not sure after dark what I plan to do yet, still learning, mostly pre dawn thru out the day and evenings.

Thanks to @Sr Chief and @OutdoorEdventure.

I know what I want (Thermion 2 XP50) but I am wondering if for my purposes the XQ50 would be fine.
Plan is to be able to cull coyotes. There are some open areas that stretch out to 300-400 yards, but the terrain/ranges are familiar. And in all likelihood, a shot beyond 200 yards would be an extreme outlier.
My OCD, like-nice-toys, buy-once-cry-once side is driving the want. Sensibility with the checkbook is on the other shoulder shaking its head. 🤣

I would be hunting from 40 degrees to minus 20, mainly a nov to mar time period. I not sure after dark what I plan to do yet, still learning, mostly pre dawn thru out the day and evenings.
Dawn and dusk are actually the worst time to use a thermal. Temperature shifts of the day will force you to adjust sensitivity of thermal. Not a big learning curve but if the coyote rolls in at just the right time when thermal temps are in fluctuations it can be difficult to see at even 200 yards. Just learn the right adjustments and it will clarify.

Thanks to @Sr Chief and @OutdoorEdventure.

I know what I want (Thermion 2 XP50) but I am wondering if for my purposes the XQ50 would be fine.
Plan is to be able to cull coyotes. There are some open areas that stretch out to 300-400 yards, but the terrain/ranges are familiar. And in all likelihood, a shot beyond 200 yards would be an extreme outlier.
My OCD, like-nice-toys, buy-once-cry-once side is driving the want. Sensibility with the checkbook is on the other shoulder shaking its head. 🤣
I personally like the XP over the XQ for clarity and ease of use. The XQ needs to be refreshed sooner and there is a thousandth of second slower on the NUC. Doesn’t sound like a big deal until the screen freezes longer than you want on a running hot or coyote.
If you’ve never looked through a thermal the XQ will serve you fine. If you’ve looked through and XP then switch to an XQ you’ll want the XP.
So just don’t look and you’ll be fine with the XQ.

We just picked up two of the InfiRay fh-35rs for the same reason. While I was in Tasmania I was able to look through this device and was amazed at it's versatility and how small it was I also like the fact that it has the capabilities to be charged by USB port or just change the battery packs. Also comes with a charging station.

I've got no clue if this unit is better or worse than a pulsar I bought this particular unit because I had looked through it and I didn't want to be disappointed when I opened the box. It hasn't made it to Camp yet but so far playing around in the yard and driving around in the golf cart it's a pretty Snappy unit. I'm really looking forward to being able to look inside the wood line and truly see what's there.

We paid right at 3K for each one of these.

I hope this helps.

Joe

20231117_110026.jpg

Back