What can y’all tell me about these?

LightTheTower

Hammer Time Executive member
Pics of cases from my last round of tests. I’m curious to see if I’m interpreting these properly…04B39A8F-3E3E-4F29-9950-1BB5FDC086FD.jpeg0A351E6E-FAE9-4B91-99B9-A306D151F9B8.jpeg

That’s what I thought it says. Problem is, all those loads are pretty hot loads.

Attachments

• D23D20F5-66F6-42D3-BFBB-F40FD9AB6D00.jpeg
    D23D20F5-66F6-42D3-BFBB-F40FD9AB6D00.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • 238C7FA0-D09D-4A58-B8D6-7374BECDC29B.jpeg
    238C7FA0-D09D-4A58-B8D6-7374BECDC29B.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 31
I've had this issue before, and I have wondered the same thing. Possibly the brass neck is too hard/brittle not allowing it to expand and seal the chamber? Were these cases reloaded multiple times? Maybe I could decipher from your data sheet that they were twice fired? It doesn't appear that they were annealed. I've had sooty case necks, primer cratering and ejector marks together. But that was primarily on a rifle that I've had fits with weird pressure signs. And I've never messed with annealing, so I'm certainly no expert there.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has any input? I'm going to shoot some today, and can post my pics. Not to highjack your thread, lightthetower. I love the OG 280!

I've had this issue before, and I have wondered the same thing. Possibly the brass neck is too hard/brittle not allowing it to expand and seal the chamber? Were these cases reloaded multiple times? Maybe I could decipher from your data sheet that they were twice fired? It doesn't appear that they were annealed. I've had sooty case necks, primer cratering and ejector marks together. But that was primarily on a rifle that I've had fits with weird pressure signs. And I've never messed with annealing, so I'm certainly no expert there.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has any input? I'm going to shoot some today, and can post my pics. Not to highjack your thread, lightthetower. I love the OG 280!
Thanks for the commiseration!😉 you’re correct… these are all twice fired, not annealed yet. Planning on annealing after 3rd firing. Everything I have is factory ammo that I’ve reloaded once. I’m afraid I’ve got an overly large chamber. 🤷🏻‍♂️

What makes you think they are hot.

I would suggest the left one is on the light side and they are certainly getting higher pressure as you go right. Still seems like there is more room to work yet.

I will just speak from personal experience. I'm very good at cleaning the bore of my rifles, and at times forget to pay just as much attention to the chamber, especially from the neck up. Looks like a dirty upper chamber to me is a possibility.

I don't see anything there that looks like a hot load, how was your bolt lift?
I’m
What makes you think they are hot.

I would suggest the left one is on the light side and they are certainly getting higher pressure as you go right. Still seems like there is more room to work yet.
Just based on “book” information. And the beginning of sticky bolt lift.

I will just speak from personal experience. I'm very good at cleaning the bore of my rifles, and at times forget to pay just as much attention to the chamber, especially from the neck up. Looks like a dirty upper chamber to me is a possibility.
I had just cleaned the barrel and chamber. The case on the right was the only clean neck, and it was the hottest Varget load.

That’s what I thought it says. Problem is, all those loads are pretty hot loads.
I had a reply ready to go and got side tracked and didn't post it in time. But from my past experience the necks could be a bit work hardened (as stated previous) I would anneal and re shoot, I'd hazard to guess it would go away. But I will also go with BB on if they're running good let her eat, just keep an eye out for splits.

They are only twice fired, but the first resize I did was full length and it moved the shoulders .004 to .006… that was before I understood shoulder bump. Second resize was .002.

x3 on the "if you're satisfied with your groups, then let 'er eat!" It is interesting that your only clean neck was with your hottest varget load, suggesting that more pressure might seal the neck better. Maybe more room to go up? But you said there was a slightly sticky bolt with that load.... A 119 gr 7mm hammer going 3200 fps will do a number on some critters.

I just got finished shooting my demon 308 and here is an example of a sooty neck, with an ejector mark (on the 30 in 308). It was with a 162 AH and 46.0 gr of TAC for 2720 fps. That's 2-300 fps over factory ammo out of the same rifle, so I don't know if I believe the velocity and ejector marks as signs of pressure, or the sooty neck saying there's more room to go up.... Brass was thrice fired, not annealed. Easy bolt with all loads. Again, not trying to highjack your thread. Maybe I'll start a new thread here on the new forum re-capping my 308 trials and tribulations to see if that could be of benefit to someone.

As an aside, the 162 AH shot MOA which is just about the best group this rifle has ever shot!

Attachments

• IMG_2B37C9137B8F-1.jpeg
    IMG_2B37C9137B8F-1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7316.jpg
    IMG_7316.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7314.jpg
    IMG_7314.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
I just got finished shooting my demon 308 and here is an example of a sooty neck, with an ejector mark (on the 30 in 308). It was with a 162 AH and 46.0 gr of TAC for 2720 fps. That's 2-300 fps over factory ammo out of the same rifle, so I don't know if I believe the velocity and ejector marks as signs of pressure, or the sooty neck saying there's more room to go up.... Brass was thrice fired, not annealed. Easy bolt with all loads. Again, not trying to highjack your thread. Maybe I'll start a new thread here on the new forum re-capping my 308 trials and tribulations to see if that could be of benefit to someone.

As an aside, the 162 AH shot MOA which is just about the best group this rifle has ever shot!
You’ve seen my 308 load with 151 Absolutes and TAC huh?

Back